SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #5

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by worm, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

2. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

I think this was super recent. It seems as if they couldn’t have brought this to SLED’s attention much faster than they did, as they traveled to the crime scene to tell them.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they reached out to the New York Times themselves.

I think they see which way the wind is blowing, and they want to get ahead of this in a major way.

They’re washing their hands of him, and they want the world to know it.

rescuemom, misgrn, MizStery and 64 others like this.
  3. clearskies1

clearskies1 Well-Known Member

This doesn't fully answer your question but it's some info:
    "In a statement to The New York Times, the firm said that it had hired a forensic accounting firm to investigate the suspected misappropriation of funds and that it had also notified the police and the South Carolina Bar."
    Lawyer Shot After Wife and Son Were Killed Had Been Pushed Out of Law Firm

4. bestill

bestill It's a Disney Day for SC Inmate 00378074

Is he the fall guy??

TIGER0822, Kudzu, Poohbear1 and 14 others like this.
  5. Luna20

Luna20 Well-Known Member

Same! It could have happened on August 11th when Stone recused himself.

With all the privilege, money, connections and PR they didn’t portray a solid front. It had holes and it didn’t fly with everyone.

6. Luna20

Luna20 Well-Known Member

Wasn’t the last date of transfer to her recent, 2018? I wonder if she was aware.

7. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

I wonder if the law firm told Stone and he recused but never alerted SLED. That would be bad.

watcher9, Flicka1, Watts Bar and 11 others like this.
  8. raja

raja Well-Known Member

following

Matic likes this.
  9. dkryder

dkryder Well-Known Member

So a few of his law firm partners show up at the shooting scene and talk about missing money . That seems sorta out of place to me. AM was probably on his way to hospital. I have not read if the Mercedes had any bullet holes. That would be expected unless when he saw the truck turn around he ran into the woods . I'm glad he's expected to make a full recovery from the gunshot to head . And I do wish him the best in his rehab . I'm just really surprised nytimes got the story, somebody is playing hardball now, might be former law partners. MOO

10. MemPat

MemPat Without Art the Earth is just Eh!

I'm not sure the Greeks could touch this. It has William Faulkner written all over it.....lots of mossy trees and messy secrets. I hope Massy is right and we get to the bottom of the story soon. (See what I did there?)

11. ElementalLaura

ElementalLaura Well-Known Member

RBBM.

The resources that AM previously had at his disposal are now protecting the firm.

He is now expendable, and, depending on where the money went, may also be broke.

Going to rehab won’t stop any legal proceedings. If there is anyone after him other than LE, rehab might provide more protection.

12. Doghairrules

Doghairrules Well-Known Member

Does anyone else think it’s weird he had a 2-day hospital stay for a superficial head wound? Or that he was life flighted for the same superficial wound? Because I’m guessing EMTs would have been able to tell it was superficial. But I’m wondering now if he was suicidal and he’s been in the psych ward until they could find a rehab place for him.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    evelezrn, misgrn, La Louve and 48 others like this.
  13. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

It fits perfectly for me. On Friday they basically fire AM for allegedly embezzling millions, and the next day there is an apparent attempt on his life.

I think they saw right through that…

And yes, I think they’re out for blood.

14. clearskies1

It may be that SLED notified Stone first, and then Stone recused. Stone's August 11 recusal letter:

"Considering the events of today in SLED's investigation of the homicides of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh, I am asking that you assume all prosecutorial functions in this matter effective immediately. By copy of this letter I am informing (SLED) Chief Mark Keel of my decision to recuse myself from prosecuting these cases."

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252074163.html

misgrn, watcher9, Flicka1 and 23 others like this.
  15. raja

raja Well-Known Member

Why would his "former" law firm partners go to the scene of the shooting. This seems strange to me.

16. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Agree, that seems to be a very unusual way of handling that situation. Maybe that's the way they do things down there. It also sounds like they were trying to get a lot of things done quickly so they could get ahead of the story before it blew up in the national news media.

One would think they would have notified LE when they first confirmed the money was missing and that AM took it. Just a thought, but I wonder if they found out about the embezzlement some time ago, but only recently acted on the information.

MizStery, watcher9, Flicka1 and 11 others like this.
  17. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

No, one of the articles said LE was notified at the scene of the car shooting.

18. Doghairrules

Doghairrules Well-Known Member

This is all my opinion based on other accounts of embezzlement that I’m aware of — I suspect this has been years in the making if they are talking about millions of dollars. Years. He may have felt entitled to it since his family founded the firm or he may have thought of it as a short term loan but then his big payday and ability to pay it back never came and he had to keep “borrowing” more.

19. clearskies1

That may just be about notifying the local officers at the scene. I think local police was at the scene before SLED arrived. SLED may have been informed at the highest levels earlier.

20. lstiff

lstiff Well-Known Member

Hypothetically speaking, how long does it take to “steal” millions? Was this prior to or because of the murders? It seems like a cause vs reaction debate, IMO. Someone like me would need a long timespan to embezzle money amounts outside of my lifestyle bracket but maybe a few months (?) if I live/spend like AM? Also, does he not have his own money from his job and 3 recent life insurance policies or are those in waiting bc COD in 2 was homicide?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.