SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #6

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by worm, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otto

otto Verified Expert

Hopefully he wasn't in too much pain from the gunshot that may or may not have caused injuries.

2. Herat

Herat Way out West

So where did Paul normally live? Moselle or Edisto , or other?

Marg from Oz, Luna20, Flicka1 and 2 others like this.
  3. bestill

bestill It's a Disney Day for SC Inmate 00378074

Has anything been said about Paul's phone? I know Maggie's was found away from her body and down the road, wondering about Paul's. I really hope it's in the custody of LE.

4. skyedaze

skyedaze Well-Known Member

Has Maggie's family said anything?

5. clearskies1

clearskies1 Well-Known Member

I don't remember seeing anything about her family making any public statements.

6. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

7. LotusPawprint

LotusPawprint Moderately-known member

I found two more unpaid property taxes (one from 2020 and one from 2021) that are jointly listed under MM and AMs names-

2021 - $6,432.49 due
    2020 - $7,435.95 due (that includes $953 in late penalties)

His embezzled funds were not going to paying these taxes.

8. skyedaze

skyedaze Well-Known Member

You can't tell me RM doesn't know anything. He's always the first person AM calls.

9. worm

worm Well-Known Member

A paramedic friend told me that they have standard prescriptions that they can administer on site and any increase in dosage has to be dr approved.
    He also caught a guy trying to break into the lock box that’s in back of the ambulance outside the hospital one night. That’s powerful stuff.

10. Crosscntrymom

Crosscntrymom Well-Known Member

This is the scenario I’m considering too. Though I do think the tragic deaths of Stephen Smith and Mallory Beach play a role in this. I’m counting on justice to prevail.

Marg from Oz, otto, Flicka1 and 2 others like this.
  11. bestill

bestill It's a Disney Day for SC Inmate 00378074

Is this all of them, I'm assuming the $12,000+ is the Edisto Island property? Adds up to nearly $22,000 - left unpaid. From a South Carolinian's perspective that is quite a bit of money for real estate taxes.

Scoutce, shefner, mark majors and 8 others like this.
  12. JaimeInLA

JaimeInLA Team Juan

wow….

“Meanwhile, late last week an ominous email began making its way through South Carolina legal circles. I have been warned against quoting directly from this message, but it hints in no uncertain terms that the embezzlement allegations leveled by PMPED against Alex Murdaugh are just the beginning of a much larger scandal – one that is going to metastasize far beyond the family, the firm and the fourteenth circuit.

The email referenced compromised judges, financial institutions, law firms and elected officials – and intimated that the tentacles of corruption reached far beyond the borders South Carolina.

A source who forwarded the email to me spoke of “genuine panic” within the state’s legal community, adding that “while they may not know it yet, everyone in this state knows someone, perhaps many, in severe legal jeopardy right now.”

I HAVE GUESSES!!!

…or at least hopes. Not sure I’m allowed to say this here, but I really hope this involves “Miss Lindsay!”

Kittybunny, Scoutce, Deluy and 29 others like this.
  13. Herat

Herat Way out West

I'm very confused.

Most all of these properties were in MM's name. There are only a couple that have both names on there. Not even the usual Alex and Margaret Murdaugh family trust. So she would have been responsible for paying the taxes on those properties (principally plots of land) and they both would have been paying taxes on the homes. I would assume that his income would be common to both of them to use to pay the taxes.

So if they were unpaid, was she not able to get access to their funds to pay the taxes? Were they having money disputes?

If he was embezzling so very much money, why couldn't they just pay the $ 50 K or so and clear this issue from the books?

And I guess my other question: Were they living together at all in 2020, the year after the boating accident?

14. Herat

Herat Way out West

Quoting the above post about the most recent FITnews article and yeah, it is WOW:
    "I HAVE GUESSES!!!

…or at least hopes. Not sure I’m allowed to say this here, but I really hope this involves “Miss Lindsay!”"

OMG.

Of course. Just out of John Grisham.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    Marg from Oz, Flicka1, 303gmf and 3 others like this.
  15. MerryB

MerryB Well-Known Member

Randy seems to be “the fixer.” JMO

16. Crosscntrymom

Crosscntrymom Well-Known Member

I will never lose sight of the (MOO) corruption and good ole boy network that allowed this family to escape the consequences (MOO) of their actions. Hope SLED has the courage to find the truth and prosecute everything they can.

j_in_c, shefner, misgrn and 16 others like this.
  17. RAISINISBACK

RAISINISBACK Well-Known Member

I have had a completely flat tire and drove on it. As long as you keep it to about 20 or 30 MPH long enough to get it somewhere safe it doesn't hurt the tire. That's saying of course it doesn't have a bow out.

JMO

18. geevee

geevee Well-Known Stickie

We don't have yearly property taxes on vehicles here in Texas so I may be way off but I wonder if they were paying monthly payments on the vehicles and the taxes were incorporated into the payments and they were being paid out of escrow (the same as if you have a mortgage on real estate property)?

Being so behind in real estate taxes does make one think he was living above his means and a probable cause for (at least some of) the embezzlement.

19. Tiger Stripes

Tiger Stripes Well-Known Member

RS,B,&IBM

Love it! Perfect characterization of that "character"! :rolleyes: Nice phrasing, @Diddian!

Marg from Oz, Flicka1, Moma J and 5 others like this.
  20. MerryB

MerryB Well-Known Member

My understanding is that he lived in an apartment in Columbia while in school, and spent summers with his parents. His parents had houses in Hampton Co. (Moselle) and Edisto beach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.