SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #6

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by worm, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clearskies1

clearskies1 Well-Known Member

Was SLED only called when the helicopter was back in the air with AM on board??

8paws, Subiechik21, Kudzu and 18 others like this.

2. JaimeInLA

JaimeInLA Team Juan

I don’t understand the outrage, to be honest. You are assuming he is an addict. We don’t know that. We have no verification of that, only the word of his lawyer.

I personally find it demeaning to other people with addictions to say that addictions caused him to commit crimes. Other psychological problems would have caused him to commit crimes (coupled with his addiction, if it really exists).

And I said “potentially” — meaning that if he committed any crimes, which we don’t know that he did, but we are allowed to call him a person of interest, per the mods.

And we know he embezzled the $10 million. He admitted it!!

(I have been at Websleuths a long time too!!)

mjp1228, adot0902, watcher9 and 27 others like this.
  3. Moma J

Moma J Well-Known Member

Thank you for this information.

4. otto

otto Verified Expert

We know that Alex said he has a problem with oxycodone.<modsnip - no link> There's no reason to connect prescription drug addiction with embezzlement.

Some professionals steal money because they are living beyond their means. They have a good income, but they spend more than they earn.

Do we have a timeline for when he might have started taking oxycodone? Was he in a car accident, or did he suffer some other sort of injury at some time in the past? That might help pinpoint the time that he became addicted to the prescription medication.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2021
  5. Moma J

Moma J Well-Known Member

I am a Drug addict and will always have the potential to go back to using. Been clean 15 years. I’m a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner and I’ve never done anything to hurt others. So many addicts hurt themselves emotionally rather than hurting others.MOO

mjp1228, watcher9, 8paws and 43 others like this.
  6. Herat

Herat Way out West

Getting him out of there by helicopter before LE arrived on the scene would do a lot to prevent his hands being tested for gunshot residue, especially taking his cell phone with him

7. sunshineray

sunshineray Well-Known Member

I've said before, wondering about that very aspect of the AM shooting incident, if the tire was slashed, supposedly using AM's knife, before the shooting occured? That would opened up a whole can of worms as to what was the motive was, IMO.

If in fact the slashing occured after AM was injured, that would lead me to believe the shooting was self-inflicted.

IIRC LE has never commented on whether AM's wound was self-inflicted, only AM's family through their lawyer?

8. Tippy Lynn

Tippy Lynn Well-Known Member

If the slashing of the tire occurred after AM was injured there would have been no need to change out a flat tire.

9. Herat

Herat Way out West

For thoroughness sake, I think the self-reported addiction to oxycodone needs to be verified, especially if there is prosecution emanating from this episode, or the embezzlement.

I think it's very curious that he is whisked away by helicopter for medical care and then transferred into rehab, so that he is not available for LE investigators.

It could have been a way to remove him from scrutiny and testing while the embezzlement deal is being worked out.

I think there have to be serious felony fraud and embezzlement charges pending.

watcher9, 8paws, vls12345 and 34 others like this.
  10. sunshineray

How does this jive with AM saying he looked away, heard a gunshot and the car sped away? It doesn't, IMO.

"Police say they found at least seven shell casings at the scene."

Authorities investigating after Alex Murdaugh was found shot in the head | WCBD News 2

Yes the Baptist church did have cameras and SLED has the footage.

"Video cameras from St. John’s Baptist Church, just a few hundred yards from the scene, could reveal more about the incident. According to NBC News, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division has now obtained that video footage, but the agency has not said what, if anything, is on it."

Alex Murdaugh attorney doubles down: Shooting wasn’t self-inflicted | WSAV-TV

watcher9, 8paws, vls12345 and 17 others like this.
  11. Bridger

Bridger Well-Known Member

Surely you aren’t suggesting that gunshot victims should be prevented from traveling to hospitals by air ambulances while police wait for CSI to show up to swab the victim’s hands. This thread has gotten out of hand. Of course ambulances are dispatched to the injured before police are dispatched. Would you really want it the other way around?

12. sunshineray

Good catch! there's also red on a tree past the crime scene tape and on the ground below the tree. I wonder if they did manage to get some ballistics to look at! I'd never seen that photo, thanks...interesting.

watcher9, 8paws, Subiechik21 and 6 others like this.
  13. Herat

Herat Way out West

It wasn't Medical First Responders that called for the helicopter. It was as-of-yet unidentified Good Samaritans. If I come across a car accident, I don't get on my phone and call Care Flight.

Nothing about this makes sense to me.

14. sunshineray

So it's from Moselle crime scene?

15. MrsWatson

MrsWatson Well-Known Member

AM's phone activity around the time of his shooting is going to be very enlightening, I think.

How many people have a private air ambulance phone number saved on their phone and that is their first thought if they are injured? Rather than just calling 911? Esp if you are a victim of a gunshot wound. That makes zero sense unless it's keep LE at bay as much as possible.

MOO

16. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

17. Razz

Razz Well-Known Member

Well, actually, police would be dispatched first. It is there job to make sure the scene is safe before the ambulance is dispatched.

18. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

I agree with your first statement (it does look that way so far, especially given the probate of one the senior partner's estates - the elder Murdaugh).

But not sure they had a totally outsourced accounting firm - that would surprise me. But could also be true (in which case, they should have caught it, IMO).

19. LotusPawprint

LotusPawprint Moderately-known member

While I can't make exact sense of the timing and logistics of what happened, some of my thoughts -- Maybe AM and /or the Good Samaritans were communicating to the dispatcher that there was blood from the head but assessed that it wasn't life threatening, and communicated this to dispatch, who decided that a medivac was appropriate.

Old Salkehatchie Road and Varnville are close to the Colleton/Hampton County line so it could be that the Hampton County dispatcher first requested an airlift from Hampton and none were available, so then contacted CARE.

The 12 minutes between helicopter dispatch and LE dispatch seems long, but I am wondering if the fact that AM was now 7 or so miles away from the initial site was confusing the dispatcher who had to go back and forth between AM, the helicopter, and Sheriff's Deputies.

Just my attempt a to make it all fit.

20. sunshineray

Well playing devil's advocate, any set of professional LE eyes can attest to whether or not there's a visible sign of injury or pin point pupils that don't respond to change in lighting. As well as any nose can smell alcohol (barring and physical condition to the contrary). So the Corporal who saw AM would most likely have an educated opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.