SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #7

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by worm, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

Agents with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division on Tuesday arrested 61-year-old Curtis Edward Smith of Colleton County.

Smith was charged with assisted suicide, assault and battery of a high aggravated nature, pointing and presenting a firearm, insurance fraud, and conspiracy to commit insurance fraud.

Investigators say that Murdaugh provided Smith with a gun and directed Smith to shoot him in the head for the purpose of causing Murdaugh’s death and allowing for the payment of a stated “death benefit beneficiary;” state investigators say Murdaugh provided a statement to SLED admitting to the scheme of having Smith murder him for the purpose of his son collecting a life insurance policy.

“Additional charges in the case are expected and will be announced at the appropriate time,” SLED officials said. “Smith has also been charged with distribution of methamphetamine and possession of marijuana.”
    SLED: Murdaugh conspired with Colleton County man in his own shooting

Flicka1, MerBeach, windrower and 7 others like this.

2. swedeheart

swedeheart Well-Known Member

Man arrested in connection to shooting of Alex Murdaugh, charged with assisted suicide

Agents with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) arrested 61-year-old Curtis Edward Smith, of Colleton County, on Tuesday. Smith is charged with assisted suicide, assault and battery of a high aggravated nature, pointing and presenting a firearm, insurance fraud, and conspiracy to commit insurance fraud.

SLED says additional charges in the case are expected.

Smith has also been charged with distribution of methamphetamine and possession of marijuana.

*Alex Murdaugh is also trending on Twitter. :cool:

Flicka1, windrower, DeDee and 10 others like this.
  3. Crosscntrymom

Crosscntrymom Well-Known Member

I don’t believe for a second that AM was motivated by generosity/compassion for his son and arranged this attempted suicide for his beneficiary to receive the payout. He’s not a nice guy. MOO

4. imstilla.grandma

Along with the killings of Maggie and Paul Murdaugh and the shooting of Alex Murdaugh, the State Law Enforcement Division is also investigating the missing money, whether anyone tried to obstruct an investigation into a 2019 boat crash which Paul Murdaugh was eventually charged and a July 2015 hit-and-run death in Hampton County.

Murdaugh’s father, grandfather and great-grandfather all held the office of solicitor in the area for more than 80 years and other family members were prominent civil attorneys in the region.
    Police: Lawyer Murdaugh arranged own death but shot grazed – Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News

5. Midge Montana

Midge Montana Well-Known Member

Holy hotcakes. I can already hear Keith Morrison narrating this story. I’m stunned. But not really.

6. Rosiebones

Rosiebones Well-Known Member

Why did AM go to such lengths to engage another person to "assist" in his suicide when he could have just overdosed with the same, results?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Poohbear1, Flicka1, mspepper and 14 others like this.
  7. Sheila Terranova

Sheila Terranova Well-Known Member

He was worried suicide wasn’t covered on his life insurance I would guess.

Flicka1, j_in_c, Countem and 14 others like this.
  8. Dexxie8

Dexxie8 Well-Known Member

Wow! Who believes this guy anymore? Nobody.

9. imstilla.grandma

No, he’s not. He’s a coward that couldn’t face the piper’s music. His recipe for perpetual denial: Take one cup of constant guilt and two cups of circling shame. Mix together. Fold in three cups of addiction. Fire up the oven with a speeding bullet. Peace at last.

10. Ann99

Ann99 Well-Known Member

Wow! What a tangled web.

Wondering if the hapless suicide assistant left the scene after shooting AM, thinking AM was mortally wounded.

Or was CES the good Samaritan.

Had AM actually died, wouldn't this incident be fully investigated by the Insurance Company before a 10 Million dollar payout?
    So, not likely AM Scheme of Insurance $$ for his only living Son would have worked out anyway. AM should have known that.

11. shefner

shefner Member Since 2008

I think it happens everywhere but I still find the number of people who contribute to underage drinking mind boggling. I understand it's not akin to more serious crimes, but it's still illegal and gives young people the idea that breaking the law is ok.

PM had a serious issue with alcohol. Shame on the adults who enabled him. They contributed to his demise and the death of Mallory Beach.

12. Warwick7

Warwick7 Well-Known Member

Oh ya Bam!!!

Flicka1, DeDee, SuziQ and 6 others like this.
  13. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

14. Elley Mae

Elley Mae Well-Known Member

<modsnip - quoted post removed>

One black Nike short sleeve shirt: No automotive paint found
    One pair of khaki Unionbay cargo shorts: No automotive paint found
    Cutting taken from item 3: No automotive paint found
    One pair of blue Airspeed Footwear shoes: No automotive paint found
    Debris collected from items 2-4: “Several single-layer metallic blue paint chips were found. Due to the condition of the sample, no make, model and year information was able to be obtained.
    These paint chips are suitable for comparison should a standard become available.” the note says.

Stephen Smith Case Files: What Happened To The Investigation In 2015? | Part 2

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2021
    Poohbear1, Flicka1, j_in_c and 20 others like this.
  15. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

No, both of them confessed. Alex first and then Curtis.

16. mainemom376

mainemom376 Well-Known Member

Two things- all complete speculation:
    1. I do not think Meth is in play at all. Or any other drug for that matter. Rehab is a total ploy.
    2. Does anyone really think he staged a suicide for his son to receive the life insurance?? Since when has he cared about anyone at all. I think he set this up to make it look like he was willing to sacrifice his own life for his remaining son. For sympathy. He did not intend to die. Wanted it all to look like he was doing this for his son. “I was desperate and so overcome with anguish, oh, and also hopped up on meth.” Ya right. JMO

BrownRice, Flicka1, mspepper and 18 others like this.
  17. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

18. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

19. Dexxie8

Dexxie8 Well-Known Member

I’m just listening to the NBC today show right now and they said AM’s attorney is going to make a statement

20. MoeInVA

MoeInVA Well-Known Member

Woot! Thanks! I did the search and went to bed. Glad you night owls kept at it. Lots to catch up on this morning!

Flicka1, LaborDayRN, bestill and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.