SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #7

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by worm, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Campizi67

Campizi67 Well-Known Member

No, the article does not name the boy. However, this article below names some who did give statements in 2019 after the boating accident and I cannot say for certain, but most likely it was one of these.

Depositions shed new light on the death of Lowcountry teen | WSAV-TV

2. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

Questions regarding the circumstances of Satterfield’s death have apparently circulated within the community for years.

During a deposition with the Department of Natural Resources in connection to the 2019 boating crash that killed Mallory Beach, a passenger and then-friend of Paul Murdaugh told law enforcement that he was initially afraid to come forward with details of that night’s events, saying he was afraid of the Murdaugh family.

When asked what he meant, Connor Cook cited Satterfield’s death as a point of concern:

“[It] was said that Paul had pushed his [house maid] down the stairs and she died and nothing ever happened.”
    SLED opening criminal investigation into 2018 death of former Murdaugh family housekeeper | WJBF

3. sunshineray

sunshineray Well-Known Member

Her death wasn't reported to the coroner, so no autopsy was done!? She died in hospital right?

4. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

"When asked whether AM possibly had any involvement in MM/PM murders, Harpootlian says he doesn't think so. He managed to throw in a comment that, when working with the family on the boating case over the past year and a half he saw MM and AM holding hands and that the family was very affectionate."

Oh My Lord---what a weak defense. His own lawyer cannot say that AM is innocent of killing his wife and son. wow....not a great answer from your attorney when his ONE JOB was to convince the audience of his client's innocence in the double murder.

And to make it worse, when he does try to give some kind of evidence of innocence on AM's part, he says he saw "MM and AM holding hands and that the family was very affectionate." <<THat is his big evidence of innocence on his client's part? :rolleyes:

5. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

She died in the Murdaugh home according to this:

Gloria Satterfield, 57, died in February 2018 after “a trip and fall accident” in the home of the Murdaughs, where she had worked for more than 20 years and was treated like “part of the Murdaugh family,” a lawsuit said.
    Alex Murdaugh sued over insurance payout tied to housekeeper's death
    *I thought all deaths inside a home unattended by a physician required an autopsy.

Eta:
    Code of Laws - Title 17 - Chapter 7 - Autopsies And Inquest On The Dead

https://law.justia.com/codes/south-carolina/2013/title-17/chapter-5/section-17-5-530/

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  6. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

7. Diddian

Diddian Well-Known Member

I am thinking that standing waist deep in a pile of manure is not the best place from which to be pointing fingers and saying that someone else may - may - be stinky.

I think Harpootlian should leave the investigating to the investigators.

P.S. Whatever happened to Griffin? Does he have laryngitis?

Edited to remove hanging quote.

8. Beren

Beren Well-Known Member

If the funds were somehow cobbled together by friends and family, someone just might confess then try to claim the $100K reward jackpot, just in time!

9. katydid23

"[It] was said that Paul had pushed his [house maid] down the stairs and she died and nothing ever happened.”

Did he trip over the dogs?:rolleyes:

10. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

Gov. Henry McMaster on Wednesday called the ongoing Alex Murdaugh case one of the “saddest stories” he’s heard.

“The whole thing from beginning to end, and I don’t know all the details, is one of the saddest stories I think I’ve ever heard. It’s just sad,” McMaster said during a media availability with reporters.

Read more here: https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article254268323.html#storylink=cpy

11. MerryB

MerryB Well-Known Member

My interpretation (MOO):

*Alex referred Gloria’s boys to his good buddy Corey Fleming to use as their attorney.
    *The insurance company paid $500,000 to Fleming.
    *Fleming, who was in cahoots with Murdaugh, took his 30% and then referred the remaining funds back to a trust with Alex as the personal representative.
    *From there, the money vanished.
    *It’s a scam.
    *Gloria’s family didn’t even need a lawyer for an uncontested claim.
    Note: Alex went on to refer Connor Cook to Fleming after the boat crash.

12. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

Great catch. It jibes with the defense already talking about (alternate) suspects.

13. Mirandartv

Mirandartv Well-Known Member

Interesting, since slip and fall deaths need to be reported, but natural ones do not.

Now I am curious if they are investigating because they think that there was foul play in her actual death.....or if they are investigating for insurance fraud, and they lied about her falling and she really just died in the house of natural causes. I hope she wasn't cremated, so they can finally do an autopsy.

14. katydid23

Yay---welcome to the dark side....:)

15. geevee

geevee Well-Known Stickie

Was she the same coroner the investigator in Stephen Smith's case argued with over her determination of his death being a hit and run?

16. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

I realized that I misinterpreted the document, as I thought that Curtis was saying the things that Alex actually said.

That changed things.

17. Bridger

Bridger Well-Known Member

Do you have a source for this info? I know this is true of physicians, but I don’t think addiction alone is cause for disbarment and I’m almost positive no one has a legal obligation to report it to the bar. If they do, pretty much 100% of attorneys are in violation of that one.

18. LotusPawprint

LotusPawprint Moderately-known member

I'm waiting to see if Cousin Eddie gets a public defender or if AM recommends another best friend to represent him.

19. razzledazzle

razzledazzle Well-Known Member

Was he picked up on the unrelated drug charges before Alex fessed up, maybe?
    Me thinks he would be better off with a public defender.

20. JaimeInLA

JaimeInLA Team Juan

corncobs = oxys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.