SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #8

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by worm, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

2. StarryStarryNight

StarryStarryNight Well-Known Member

Just from doing family history research I’ve seen bunches of death certificates from SC and I have never seen one where the cause of death was termed simple “natural”. Even for people who we all say died of old age it never says that. It always some heart thing or some medical speak or something. That applies to recent as well as to wayback time. So it’s a bit puzzling for sure.

3. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

4. sunshineray

sunshineray Well-Known Member

There is the question...what happened to the millions taken? Thanks for the calculations, it helps clarify.

8paws, Marg from Oz, momsof3 and 5 others like this.
  5. sunshineray

ER Nurse from boating accident said he was there smelling of alcohol at 3 in the morning.

8paws, Marg from Oz, momsof3 and 16 others like this.
  6. sunshineray

And considering his cold turkey status that day and EC's apparent lack of body stillness and hacking fits, ir's a wonder AM even got grazed by a bullet.

7. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

8. Gardenista

9. JaimeInLA

JaimeInLA Team Juan

I just looked, and they aren’t saying it was “evidence” per se. Just that they “ uncovered new information regarding Stephen Smith’s death while investigating the double homicide“ at Moselle. Whatever they found caused them to reopen the investigation into Stephen Smith‘s death.

It was discussed in the Murdaugh Murders podcast and is mentioned in this article:

SLED opens own investigation into death of Stephen Smith

10. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

You’re so on point. Your commentary is impressive and I like it. You make me smile cause you’re saying so many things I want to say but know I would crudely word my thoughts so I don’t. Don’t give up hoping for change. It took generations to build this legal dynasty - this quasi-kingdom with Murdaugh monarchy rulers and their squires. Perhaps they’ve forgotten - they’re outnumbered by us serfs and peasants. The Deep South has many set-in-stone traditions and values, some of which I love and hold dear as part of my heritage. Words have power. Nothing is so powerful as the written word. Folks, remember this:
    There’s more than one way to skin a cat…
    ~Welcome to the South y’all.

11. Rosiebones

Rosiebones Well-Known Member

If he was turning himself in voluntarily, would his hands have been handcuffed in front of him? It sure looks like it.

12. bestill

bestill It's a Disney Day for SC Inmate 00378074

I have a friend that just got out of rehab for an extended use and addiction to oxy, there is no way he would have been able to be in a courtroom in 10 days. He was still deathly ill, it took him about 3 weeks to even start to feel human again. An addict would still be in the throws of withdrawal. I am not buying the degree of addiction his attorney is trying to sell.

13. StrangerThanFiction

StrangerThanFiction Well-Known Member

RBBM. DICK is playing with semantics. I noticed it, too. “Alex didn’t have anything to do with X, Y, Z”, but the scope is bigger than that. We are lumping Paul and perhaps even Buster into the question. True, Alex wasn’t “directly” responsible for the boat crash that caused Mallory’s death, or even Gloria’s “accident” (“Alex wasn’t even home at the time, how can he be responsible?”) BUT PAUL WAS, and that means—by family association—that Alex shares some responsibility. Same with Gloria. Same with Steve. MOO.

14. Gardenista

I'm not sure how that works, but it looked like he was handcuffed to me too. I'm just glad we got a tiny bit of a perp walk.

15. StrangerThanFiction

Guilt will do that to a person. JMO

16. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

Not a chance. I agree. If his shirt and forehead aren’t covered in sweat; if he isn’t covering his ears from noise and shielding his eyes from lights; if he’s talking much louder than a whisper; if he’s not stopping people in mid-conversation to request a bathroom break; if he’s not s*ing his pants in front of the judge; if tears aren’t rolling down his face - then he’s an amateur addict. At best.

17. PrairieWind

PrairieWind Verified Attorney

No, an arraignment and bond hearing are not the same. Bond hearings can occur anytime and often there is more than one. At an initial appearance, usually within 24-48 hours of arrest, the defendant is told the charges against him, but the defendant does not enter a plea, but bond will usually be set then, at least initially. Then, usually a couple weeks later, an arraignment is held where the defendant is again advised of the charges and will enter a plea at that time.
    The Miranda rights advisement that he is entitled to an attorney is applicable to a defendant that is in police custody and is about his rights to not speak to police. After arrest, the court will advise the defendant that he is entitled to have an attorney represent him in the case and that one may even be appointed for him.

18. StrangerThanFiction

Optics only, IMO.

19. MoeInVA

MoeInVA Well-Known Member

I know a single mom of three who was denied a public defender in SC recently because she made too much money as a full time cashier. She lost her house to foreclosure before her case was resolved. If either of these defendants get public defenders I am going to be so mad.

20. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

@TasneemN
    Alex Murdaugh, the prominent South Carolina lawyer at the center of several investigations, has been arrested and charged with insurance fraud and filing a false police report after he planned his own killing (which he survived) for an insurance payoutCharging docs: Alex Murdaugh slashed his own tire and even provided a gun to the shooter as he attempted to make it look like he had been shot by an unknown assailant on a rural Hampton County road.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.