SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first step is a preliminary hearing that Murdaugh would have to request in writing or orally within the next ten days.

“That’s a hearing to determine if there’s enough evidence to go forward in this case. We would hear testimony from the arresting law enforcement agency who investigated this,” said South Carolina Criminal Defense Attorney Susan E. Williams.

Murdaugh would not have the chance to testify at this hearing, but his attorneys could cross examine law enforcement. If there is enough probable cause for the case from the preliminary hearing then the process moves along.

“After the preliminary hearing there will be something called a first appearance depending on if Hampton County is issuing dates on those right now,” said Williams.

<modsnip>
Legal expert speaks on Alex Murdaugh’s road ahead | WCBD News 2

Last edited by a moderator:
The first step is a preliminary hearing that Murdaugh would have to request in writing or orally within the next ten days.

“That’s a hearing to determine if there’s enough evidence to go forward in this case. We would hear testimony from the arresting law enforcement agency who investigated this,” said South Carolina Criminal Defense Attorney Susan E. Williams.

Murdaugh would not have the chance to testify at this hearing, but his attorneys could cross examine law enforcement. If there is enough probable cause for the case from the preliminary hearing then the process moves along.

<modsnip>
Legal expert speaks on Alex Murdaugh’s road ahead | WCBD News 2
I felt like AM's lawyer basically conceded guilt today. Don't see a trial on these charges. JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious how intent to commit insurance fraud is a realistic charge since the intent completely fell apart when he wasn't really shot and he immediately called for assistance.

It's my belief that the shooting was meant to convince investigators that Alex was a victim of the same person who shot his wife and son. The shooter was supposed to miss, which is why Alex called police to report the shooting and called emergency medical care to report a minor injury.

Police can't prove that, but is a failed, hopeless attempt at hired suicide a crime, regardless of whether the motive was insurance money?

It sounds like a conversation about insurance fraud without actual intent.

BBM
My take on it? The millions went into a lifestyle they couldn't afford, property, boats, furs, plus legal fees for Paul and alcohol and drugs for both Alex, Paul and most of BM and Pauls's friends. As one guy said Moselle hunting lodge was THE party place while they were all in school and beyond.

My take on what happened on 9-4? Alex cooked up a scheme with his drug dealer/cousin to make it look like whoever killed MM and PM were after him also. I think he did that to throw suspicion off himself. I think SLED is getting close to the truth as to what happened the night MM and PM were killed.

I think him and cousin Eddie met out there and Alex handed Eddie a gun to fire some shots in the ground as evidence someone tried to kill Alex. We all saw how shaky cousin Eddie was in court yesterday. I think old cuz hit the pavement with one shot and it ricocheted
up and grazed Alex. Head wounds bleed a lot. I think when cousin Eddie saw the blood he got so rattled he took off and couldn't even remember where he threw the gun out. (Which BTW could have been one of the murder weapons, not saying it is but...). I think Alex touched his head, saw the blood and panicked and called 911 for a life flight helicopter because in his drunken, drug addled state I think he thought Eddie really did blow his brains out (what few were there in the first place) and that he really was going to die.

Comedy hour at it's finest.

This is my theory only, my opinion only, my speculation of what really took place.

JMO

I agree 100% and will add that the goal for AM was to frame cousin Eddie for the double murder via this “he shot me too!!” plan.

But he was surprised by that darned church surveillance video, which ruined his entire plot.

Last edited:
My whole generational line is plotted with addiction. It has destroyed and taken so many of my family’s lives. My childhood and myself were permanently scarred from addiction. Both my younger brothers died from addiction. I swore it would never ever ever happen to me. I was wrong. After 40 years of fighting/surrendering to addiction - I thought I might have some relapses left in me but I was too afraid I didn’t have another recovery left in me. It was the hardest battle of my life. That was five years ago. Recovery is real…
Stay strong and healthy. You did good <3

A few things I’ve been wondering.

How much does BM know about … lots of freakin’ stuff? He ought to be able to shed light on many things, if they can get him to talk.

How can AM have been doing opioids for 20 years (my god), but has no major, visible health issues? I just don’t buy this addiction.

How much was the life insurance policy benefit on MM, has that paid out yet due to investigations, and I assume the beneficiaries would now be AM and/or BM?

How long did the firm fraud go on for? Because these are smart people working there, and I would think this would have been caught within 90 days or less, unless multiple people were in on it.

I think you may be right. Yesterday when Harpootlian was doing that interview with FoxCarolina, he emphasized that Alex's charges were very minor compared to CES charges that were very very serious. That stood out to me for some reason, but I couldn't put my finger on it.
I don't know, Eddie's already getting a bad rap. Yeah ok, he said yes to shooting him, he took the gun when AM gave it to him, he followed him to a lonely place, fired 7-10 shots BUT he only superficial grazed AM. I mean the man clearly didn't want to kill drug-addled AM. He even got rid of the gun for him. I mean as far as assassins go, Eddies' pretty A-ok no?

I'm curious how intent to commit insurance fraud is a realistic charge since the intent completely fell apart when he wasn't really shot and he immediately called for assistance.

It's my belief that the shooting was meant to convince investigators that Alex was a victim of the same person who shot his wife and son. The shooter was supposed to miss, which is why Alex called police to report the shooting and called emergency medical care to report a minor injury.

Police can't prove that, but is a failed, hopeless attempt at hired suicide a crime, regardless of whether the motive was insurance money?

It sounds like a conversation about insurance fraud without actual intent.

Are you saying that because Smith didn't succeed in killing him and the rest of the plan fell apart (AM called for help), it invalidates AM's plan and intent for the insurance money? Sorry, just want to understand what you're asking.

A few things I’ve been wondering.

How much does BM know about … lots of freakin’ stuff? He ought to be able to shed light on many things, if they can get him to talk.

How can AM have been doing opioids for 20 years (my god), but has no major, visible health issues? I just don’t buy this addiction.

How much was the life insurance policy benefit on MM, has that paid out yet due to investigations, and I assume the beneficiaries would now be AM and/or BM?

How long did the firm fraud go on for? Because these are smart people working there, and I would think this would have been caught within 90 days or less, unless multiple people were in on it.
Exactly - many drug addicts don't even live into their late 20s especially if they are doing drugs like oxy, let alone sustain the addiction for 20 years. There's a reason why most rehab centers have younger people who are drug addicts and older ones who are alcoholics. Drug addicts simply do not live as long on average.

MILLIONS!! Does what S lawyer Bland is saying mean that Lloyd's of London paid out millions in her case? OMG what kind of insurance scams have these lawyers been pull off?!!

I think that the lawyer and the housekeeper's family discussed suing for $2+ million, but the lawyer secretly settled for $500k and kept the money.

Hahaha! Did Hootenanny (the lawyer, forgot his name) just say "This is the face of the opioid epidemic," referring to Alex Murdaugh?

Wow. These people truly do not live on the same planet with us peasants.

ETA: If he had ANY significant or life-threatening trauma to his head, you would see where they had to shave his hair. He's got a full head, with no markings.

This is unreal.

Oof. I just saw his butt-crack.

What an absolute side-show, but expected, I guess.
:D5 star post! Ol’ Senator Hootenanny! Never saw the BC- musta been my lucky day!

Are you saying that because Smith didn't succeed in killing him and the rest of the plan fell apart (AM called for help), it invalidates AM's plan and intent for the insurance money? Sorry, just want to understand what you're asking.

I'm thinking that intent to commit insurance fraud requires filing documents to fraudulently collect insurance money and then getting caught. I'm curious how a conversation about insurance fraud (if that indeed occurred) if he were shot dead constitutes insurance fraud. No action was taken that remotely supports insurance fraud.

If Alex had gunshot "entry" and "exit" wounds, as claimed, he'd have at least one shaved portion of his hair OR two visible wounds on bare skin. From all angles, we see NOTHING. CES (or even Alex?) may have shot 7-10 rounds into the woods and/or air but he did not shoot Alex. In fact, I can see no injuries whatsoever on or around his head.

I'm starting to get the feeling that AM & attorneys have selected the perfect scapegoat in CES; they're gonna railroad him into bad, bad things, i.e. prison for life for double murder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member