SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by worm, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stmarysmead

stmarysmead Well-Known Member

Reading just part of the cousin’s deposition, has me backing away from the assumption that the boat crash figures in these murders….at least from the point of view of vengeance.

I think Paul would have had a hard time walking away from these charges with such testimony from a cousin and friend…and there is more than just this witness testimony. I think seeing him taken off to a jail cell and the family bereft and shamed would have sufficed for most people. Why do anything before the trial? Why not watch them all squirm in court? See what happens…

Power or not, many eyes would be on this trial.

I think this story will turn out to surprise us.

2. bestill

bestill It's a Disney Day for SC Inmate 00378074

Yes! I have thought this from the beginning. Her family wanted the truth to be known and wanted answers, they were waiting on their day in court. I believe this completely. The community was also waiting in my opinion too. They were watching to see how fair the judicial system was going to be to one of its own that held a lot of power. Candidly Paul would not have done well in the prison system. This same outcome may have happened another way for him.

You are so right many eyes were watching, not only from this accident by from past events too.

All jmo

3. girlhasnoname

girlhasnoname Well-Known Member

Yes, the Murdaugh 'Lodge' is approx 1,700 acres IIRC

4. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

In one of the civil case depositions that have been published (see link below)- an attorney states Paul's brother gave him his ID to use the night of the accident. Maybe that's why brother is named in the suit?
    https://publicindex.sccourts.org/Ha...486751741034784574311752117122105101888411569

5. Bridger

Bridger Well-Known Member

From the Daily Mail article referenced a few posts up:

“Their bodies were found several yards apart from one another, shell casings were discovered at the scene and two firearms were recovered.”

This is the first I’ve read that firearms and shell casings were recovered. If true, that’s another really strange detail. Did outsiders really leave their weapons at the scene? Or could it be that everyone was armed and mom and Paul were not as quick on the trigger as the bad guys? (I.e., the firearms recovered at the scene belonged to the Murdaughs and were not the murder weapons.) Alternatively, I suppose that detail makes it conceivable that they shot each other. But surely if that’s the case the investigation would be over. A week should be enough time to make that determination.

And, of course, this is the Daily Mail so we can’t be sure the story is even accurate.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  6. girlhasnoname

7. girlhasnoname

Yes, things move at a snails pace through the courts.

8. clearskies1

clearskies1 Well-Known Member

The civil complaint alleges this:

"15. That Defendant Richard Alexander Murdaugh, Jr. is over twenty-one (21) years of age and knowingly and willfully allowed his younger brother, who is under the age of twenty-one (21), to use his driver’s license to purchase and consume alcohol illegally. Further, it was foreseeable that his minor brother would use the license to purchase alcohol for consumption by other minors and this defendant had actual knowledge that the license was so used. "
    https://publicindex.sccourts.org/Ha...750971081218874487411389101100110101118837985

9. zencompass

zencompass Hope springs eternal

@bestill, I agree with what you've said here, especially about the Beach family waiting for their day in court for justice for their daughter.

This double murder is deeply saddening.

It is strange how a handgun was used to kill one person and a shotgun to kill the other.

Have the toxicology reports been released yet? Have they traced the guns to owners?

10. cujenn81

cujenn81 Well-Known Member

My grand uncle (a South Carolina farmer) was shot and killed during an attempted robbery while out feeding his dogs. His dogs were also kept in a kennel some distance from the house. The guy that killed him worked on his farm — and was someone familiar with his routine.

I don’t think the Murdaughs were murdered during a robbery gone wrong (although, it’s possible). I just think the person(s) responsible likely knew Paul’s routine. Perhaps he always fed the dogs after eating his own dinner, and his mom just happened to be with him that evening.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Colorado303, dcfi224, BOSCOE and 18 others like this.
  11. Bridger

Bridger Well-Known Member

Not a handgun. A shotgun and a rifle.

12. clearskies1

clearskies1 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've only seen it reported elsewhere that casings were found at the scene -- nothing about firearms being found. https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252038948.html
    So am taking the Daily Mail report with a grain of salt. JMO.

13. girlhasnoname

<snipped> BBM

Paul Murdaugh, 22, and his mother, Maggie, 52, were found shot to death shortly after 10 p.m. at the family’s property at 4147 Moselle Road. Attorney Alex Murdaugh reportedly discovered the bodies of his wife and son, according to sources familiar with the investigation.

Two different firearms were used in the crime: a shotgun and a military-style rifle, those sources said. Maggie was reportedly found several yards away from her son, they said.

The Colleton County Sheriff’s Office and State Law Enforcement Division are leading the investigation into the killings but have released scant information to date. They have said there is no immediate threat to the public, yet no suspects have been named or arrests made.

Sheriff’s spokeswoman Shalane Lowes has denied a request for 911 audio recordings connected to the murder, citing the ongoing investigation. The Sheriff’s Office released a one-line incident report that provides no additional details on the crime.
    Rumors swirl about double homicide involving SC law family. Some details begin to emerge.

14. Midwestmom2019

Midwestmom2019 Well-Known Member

<modsnip>
    What if she was the target? How much time would it take to secure the guns, and then report what he found? There are several possible scenarios being tossed around. But the State LE is in charge now, so the public should learn something. I’d be worried about them saying public has no need to fear? But they’re not told anyone was arrested?!? Do we know why LE thinks PM was the target? It’s so convoluted.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2021
  15. InvisibleMe

InvisibleMe Active Member

The alibi that Alex, Paul’s father, was out shooting, it would provide him with an excuse for having GPR on his hands. Hmmmm.

16. Warwick7

Warwick7 Well-Known Member

This link explains ALOT!

17. Warwick7

Warwick7 Well-Known Member

I agree on the reporting, but they always seem to find a way to get pictures.
    Those are worth a thousand words.

18. MoeInVA

MoeInVA Well-Known Member

19. Gibbo214

Gibbo214 Former Member

20. Dawookie

Dawookie Well-Known Member

Shotguns have been used by police for decades for riot and crowd control. Now they've become more versatile because of less lethal munitions, rubber pellets, bean bags, tear gas, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.