SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the GMA interview of 2 Murdaugh
brothers of AM.
Definitely a slick PR maneuver and appeared to
be done to elicit sympathy for M family.
One tidbit I hadn't heard before, remember the
media using the term "ironclad alibi" for AM?

Well one brother said on the night/evening of the murders AM took his father to the hospital
and then afterwards went to visit with his mother. So sounds like his own mother is his
'ironclad alibi'.
MOO, they need to continue investigating AM
and the state of their marriage
bbm
Re. the first bolded : Yes, that was in msm early on.

Re. the second bolded : I have no problem with that.
It's par for the course to rule out anyone close to the family first.

Family of son and mom from South Carolina legal dynasty shot dead say he had been receiving threats | Daily Mail Online

My first theory was that someone connected to the family of the girl killed in the boating accident was looking for payback ?
It doesn't seem likely, Imo.

And I'd think LE will look at the computers, phones, etc. to verify where the IP address of the threats came from ?

But LE generally will focus on the innermost family and then work outwards.
Even in the abduction of Elizabeth Smart her dad was questioned. He was officially cleared soon and LE stated that publicly.
So I'd think that AM (or any other family members or acquaintances) -- if he's not involved -- will be cleared and LE will say this.

If they say nothing at all then they still have no information and have no new leads.
I'd think for starters that LE would gather all of the guns from the Murdaughs' just to eliminate the possibility of any of them being connected to the crime ?
And this goes without saying -- but LE would have checked AM's hands for GSR since he found the bodies and was the first at the scene ?
Again this would be in AM's favor to rule him out.

Were there any security cameras at the area where PM and MM were found , showing which vehicles may have come and gone ?

Rest in eternal peace to the victims.
A terrible way to leave this earth ! :(
MOO.

Last edited:
There’s no question that these family members are grieving deeply. I respect that.

But the question to them about whether PM was treated in a special way… was pointless. Without being given examples of how other boating deaths while under the influence were handled in SC…of course they will say no.

But that is no definitive answer. It doesn’t settle the matter. Either ask a question with examples or just don’t bother.

I’m still puzzled about the reason for the interview. They know full well that every legal entity in the State has given this high priority. But my ears perked up when they mentioned social media. If they have been reading what’s posted there, then I can absolutely see why they feel the family needs to soften their local image.

Here is where they were likely searching. (i.e. in Salkehatchie River at Hwy 63)

Google Maps

Seems like an ideal spot to toss a weapon.

Hopefully they find whatever they may be looking for. To spend time and resources there I wonder if:
-a vehicle was spotted stopped there the night of the murders
-someone is talking

I hope it isn’t someone submitting tips for a wild goose chase…

Oh they should have definitely been arrested — breathalyzer or no.

If they appear grossly intoxicated and are under age, that should be probable cause right there to arrest them. My guess is Murdaugh influence and the fact that there are injuries, MB is missing, etc - all played into the events of those early morning hours. (MB's boyfriend refused medical attention and wouldn't leave the search sight.)

This thread has turned into pages and pages of a rehash of the past. (Not even if it's connected. Just how it happened, who bought booze, where the adults were, etc...) Personally, I'd like to look for new developments in this case

Sadly, there are none. Except we know SLED searched under a bridge near the home and the M's are on GMA :shrugs: Oh, and the tip line. Finally, a tip line.

Sorry to be snarky, but it's like the M's have "circled the wagons" so to speak. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
interesting about them getting threats - At first glance Aha! here we go … but then … social media threats? no idea what to make of that. Literally everyone with any public profile gets SM threats AFAIK. Those threats couldve come from an enraged psycho determined to commit murder, or from anyone or anything on down to an AI bot with no human agency involved!!

Yet another example of how the world has tilted on its axis & the tools we once had for understanding it are no longer reliable! It’s just a crazy time to be in a role where others count on you to keep them safe …

Several (10 maybe) years ago, there was a well known man who called 911 to report he shot his wife. I believe he lived in Isleworth, fl a wealthy enclave of golfers and the rich and famous.

During his trial, the story was completely different. He wasn't the one that shot her but some home invaders?

Does anyone recall this case?

My point being, 911 calls are often times when truth is uttered unknowingly or knowingly but backpedaling occurs later.

IE: it smelled like a dead body was in there! Casey Anthony's Mom after they picked up Casey's car at a pick up lot and they opened the trunk.

Sadly, there are none. Except we know SLED searched under a bridge near the home and the M's are on GMA :shrugs: Oh, and the tip line. Finally, a tip line.

Sorry to be snarky, but it's like the M's have "circled the wagons" so to speak. :rolleyes:
From everything I've read here they are an old and powerful family.
But that shouldn't dismiss the need for finding justice -- no matter who or whom the perps are.

Speculating here : I'm doubting with the trauma the family is going through that they even care what's being said in social media ?
But maybe they want to clear the air ?
MOO.

Reminds me of the man in Atlanta who accidentally shot his wife in the back when they drove home.
Tex McIver.

I have to go back here and reread... was there a 911 call and has it been released ?
Imo.
Yes AM reportedly called 911, but no it has not been released. SLED refused to release citing ongoing investigation.

From SLED PR 6/15:
"On June 7, 2021 at 10:07 PM, Alex Murdaugh called 911. During that call, Murdaugh indicated to the Colleton County Dispatch Center that he had returned to family property located at 4147 Moselle Road in Islandton, South Carolina to find the bodies of his wife Margaret “Maggie” Murdaugh and his son Paul Murdaugh shot outside of the residence on the property."
South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

There’s no question that these family members are grieving deeply. I respect that.

But the question to them about whether PM was treated in a special way… was pointless. Without being given examples of how other boating deaths while under the influence were handled in SC…of course they will say no.

But that is no definitive answer. It doesn’t settle the matter. Either ask a question with examples or just don’t bother.

I’m still puzzled about the reason for the interview. They know full well that every legal entity in the State has given this high priority. But my ears perked up when they mentioned social media. If they have been reading what’s posted there, then I can absolutely see why they feel the family needs to soften their local image.
bbm
So did mine.
But given the horrifying crime that has happened one would assume their image does not need 'softening'.
I'm certain people must be sympathetic ?
At least within their own relatives and people known to them through their occupations ?
And really who would give a flying fig what social media was saying ?
Complete strangers.
Let them talk !

It (social media talk) won't alter anything , nor bring MM and PM back, nor bring justice.
I believe the M family must be demanding justice, no matter where the answers lie.
I know I would want that !
MOO.

From everything I've read here they are an old and powerful family.
But that shouldn't dismiss the need for finding justice -- no matter who or whom the perps are.

Speculating here : I'm doubting with the trauma the family is going through that they even care what's being said in social media ?
But maybe they want to clear the air ?
MOO.

I definitely agree that the family deserves justice! Whole-heartedly, I offer them my sincere sympathies and prayers.

IMO - They care very much about what is in the media. I would bet they employ someone to specifically handle damage-control.

The first part of the show includes an interview with a local MSM journalist (WCBDTV) and statements from various attorneys.

(NewsNation Now) — Could a deadly boat crash hold the answer to the shocking double-murder of Paul Murdaugh and his mother Maggie in South Carolina?

Paul Murdaugh was driving during a drunken crash that killed a 19-year-old friend in 2019, leaving some to wonder if they’re connected. A panel of experts including reporter Riley Benson, attorney Mark O’Mara and retired FBI analyst Joseph Scott Morgan look at the evidence

Banfield: New developments in Murdaugh murders; Kathy Hilton on life, fame and ‘Real Housewives’ | NewsNation Now

If they appear grossly intoxicated and are under age, that should be probable cause right there to arrest them. My guess is Murdaugh influence and the fact that there are injuries, MB is missing, etc - all played into the events of those early morning hours. (MB's boyfriend refused medical attention and wouldn't leave the search sight.)

Those kids were angry and some of them hurt. One friend was missing.

We are supposed to believe they did not say who was driving?
bbm
So did mine.
But given the horrifying crime that has happened one would assume their image does not need 'softening'.
I'm certain people must be sympathetic ?
At least within their own relatives and people known to them through their occupations ?
And really who would give a flying fig what social media was saying ?
Complete strangers.
Let them talk !

It (social media talk) won't alter anything , nor bring MM and PM back, nor bring justice.
I believe the M family must be demanding justice, no matter where the answers lie.
I know I would want that !
MOO.

There’s a Robbie Burns poem…that includes a pertinent verse IMO…I’ll translate out of the Scottish dialect…”Oh what a gift the “gods” can give us…to see ourselves as others see us.’’

Many articles have alluded to why this impression of special treatment existed…and it began long before the boat crash. The boat crash and Mallory’s death just accelerated and crystallized this belief…whether right or wrong. Then we have the very tender way PM was handled…more fuel to the fire.

None of the M family were ever “the victims’ before. Now they are. Many, many of the social media posts under the reporting…are NOT sympathetic. I do think the family does care about this…because they may have been oblivious before now. They may not have been aware how the way they conducted themselves was viewed beyond their circle.

If power and privilege has been in your family for generations, do you just become accustomed to it. Doesn’t everyone get to prevent a sobriety test on their drunken son? Doesn’t everyone get to have that son released and allowed to travel, boat again as if nothing happened? Two years of fun for him…normality for the family. While others watched another family deep in their grief.

Now the grief is theirs. And the articles are written about their deceased loved ones. And the comments below too often show a reality that they did not know or care existed before this…’to see ourselves as others see us.’

Those kids were angry and some of them hurt. One friend was missing.

We are supposed to believe they did not say who was driving?

... shortened to save space

According to the depos that were released, the kids stated that PM was driving, however, they also stated that another male boater was standing beside him watching the gps and would occasionally "take the wheel" for a moment when PM turned away to argue and strip his clothes off.

The SLED tip line may be useful here. With the family being so well known and associated with the local prosector's office, people may feel more comfortable contacting a state LE agency, rather a local one. Info less likely to leak out to persons who shouldn't know. Also, I assume you can leave anonymous tips. JMO.

bbm
Re. the first bolded : Yes, that was in msm early on.

Re. the second bolded : I have no problem with that.
It's par for the course to rule out anyone close to the family first.

Family of son and mom from South Carolina legal dynasty shot dead say he had been receiving threats | Daily Mail Online

My first theory was that someone connected to the family of the girl killed in the boating accident was looking for payback ?
It doesn't seem likely, Imo.

And I'd think LE will look at the computers, phones, etc. to verify where the IP address of the threats came from ?

But LE generally will focus on the innermost family and then work outwards.
Even in the abduction of Elizabeth Smart her dad was questioned. He was officially cleared soon and LE stated that publicly.
So I'd think that AM (or any other family members or acquaintances) -- if he's not involved -- will be cleared and LE will say this.

If they say nothing at all then they still have no information and have no new leads.
I'd think for starters that LE would gather all of the guns from the Murdaughs' just to eliminate the possibility of any of them being connected to the crime ?
And this goes without saying -- but LE would have checked AM's hands for GSR since he found the bodies and was the first at the scene ?
Again this would be in AM's favor to rule him out.

Were there any security cameras at the area where PM and MM were found , showing which vehicles may have come and gone ?

Rest in eternal peace to the victims.
A terrible way to leave this earth ! :(
MOO.

My thoughts/question as well ~ I find it hard to believe they have no cameras on that property.

My thoughts/question as well ~ I find it hard to believe they have no cameras on that property.

Excellent point! Particularly since it was a second home. Its summer…I’m sure they spent time at the beach house.

What about the dogs…who cared for them when they weren’t there?? I’m assuming if they had a kennel that these were hunting dogs. Did they have a caretaker?

I also wonder how long they’d been staying there. Hours, days, weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288