SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SLED tip line may be useful here. With the family being so well known and associated with the local prosector's office, people may feel more comfortable contacting a state LE agency, rather a local one. Info less likely to leak out to persons who shouldn't know. Also, I assume you can leave anonymous tips. JMO.
How anonymous is "anonymous," though? I wanted to report someone in a photo from the Jan 6 violence that I believed to be a family member (who is in law enforcement). You can bet I was very concerned about my identity being revealed. (Edited for clarification)

According to the depos that were released, the kids stated that PM was driving, however, they also stated that another male boater was standing beside him watching the gps and would occasionally "take the wheel" for a moment when PM turned away to argue and strip his clothes off.

What they said in depos and what they might have said at trial could be two different things if they were under some kind of duress to protect PM.

Hopefully they find whatever they may be looking for. To spend time and resources there I wonder if:
-a vehicle was spotted stopped there the night of the murders
-someone is talking

I hope it isn’t someone submitting tips for a wild goose chase…
Agree - I hope it is based on solid evidence - then we know there is solid evidence.

I'll add to your list:
- cell phone data
- other gps data (onstar, etc)
- watches, fitbits, so many personal items these days

But would that data already be back? Seems to take a while to get. In most cases - and this is clearly not "most cases." MOO.

ETA - on a totally other topic - I can't believe it would be "revenge" for the boat accident - MB's parents seem to have gone the total legal route and that was getting results. Both criminal (a charge) and civil (insurance companies denying coverage). I don't see them "flipping out" at this point. I wouldn't rule out "revenge" for something else. That's all MOO.

Last edited:
Is the boat victim's boyfriend a cousin of the Murdaughs? Did I read that right?

Yes, at least one article has said so. I’ll try to find it. He spent every day at the search till they found her body.

I can see where the publicity around the boat crash could have triggered others with nothing to do with that tragedy. Suppose a loved one had been treated more harshly in the past…and then you follow this story in fury. Suppose you’d done jail time, and you see this son of the prosecutor being handled with kid gloves.

Was there anything in the news in the days before the murders about the civil trial?

There could be lots of old, silent grudges…

One thing I think is a bit odd is that there has been no specific plea for anyone who was travelling in the area Monday evening or who has trail cams in the area to come forward and check their cameras. To my knowledge, no one has made that sort of specific plea in the media- not LE or family.

Personally, I think that a specific plea like that in local media would be more helpful at eliciting helpful tips than the generic "anyone who knows anything" request for tips found at the bottom of the SLED PRs. JMO.

But, as rumors swirl around the deaths, DailyMail.com has learned that the four youngsters on board that night – Paul's ex girlfriend Morgan Doughty, Beach's boyfriend Anthony Cook, his cousin Connor Cook and Connor's girlfriend, Beach's best friend, Miley Altman – and members of Beach's family have all given DNA samples to homicide investigators.

SLED spokesman Tommy Crosby confirmed that investigators have also pulled digital and cell-phone records – including those belonging to Alex Murdaugh – to pin down individuals' movements on and around the day of the murders. He described this as 'a usual investigative process.'

Murdaugh was interviewed by investigating officers on Thursday 10 June. Sources close to him state that he has a 'cast iron alibi' for the night of the killings and that he is merely co-operating with the investigation to clear himself.

Survivors in boating mishap allegedly caused by murdered Paul Murdaugh voluntarily gave DNA samples | Daily Mail Online

Agree - I hope it is based on solid evidence - then we know there is solid evidence.

I'll add to your list:
- cell phone data
- other gps data (onstar, etc)
- watches, fitbits, so many personal items these days

But would that data already be back? Seems to take a while to get. In most cases - and this is clearly not "most cases." MOO.

ETA - on a totally other topic - I can't believe it would be "revenge" for the boat accident - MB's parents seem to have gone the total legal route and that was getting results. Both criminal (a charge) and civil (insurance companies denying coverage). I don't see them "flipping out" at this point. I wouldn't rule out "revenge" for something else. That's all MOO.

I'm with you there. Why get revenge when you can get RICH?

But, as rumors swirl around the deaths, DailyMail.com has learned that the four youngsters on board that night – Paul's ex girlfriend Morgan Doughty, Beach's boyfriend Anthony Cook, his cousin Connor Cook and Connor's girlfriend, Beach's best friend, Miley Altman – and members of Beach's family have all given DNA samples to homicide investigators.

SLED spokesman Tommy Crosby confirmed that investigators have also pulled digital and cell-phone records – including those belonging to Alex Murdaugh – to pin down individuals' movements on and around the day of the murders. He described this as 'a usual investigative process.'

Murdaugh was interviewed by investigating officers on Thursday 10 June. Sources close to him state that he has a 'cast iron alibi' for the night of the killings and that he is merely co-operating with the investigation to clear himself.

Survivors in boating mishap allegedly caused by murdered Paul Murdaugh voluntarily gave DNA samples | Daily Mail Online

BBM

So it Mallory's boyfriend's cousin, not a murdaugh cousin, is how I'm reading this.

Thank you for the article, @stmarysmead.

Depositions shed new light on the death of Lowcountry teen | WSAV-TV

Cook said despite the foggy conditions, the boat had no forward light, only running lights, and one flashlight, which he held the entire time, to guide the six teens and intoxicated driver through the foggy night on Archer’s Creek.

The moment that turned deadly was when someone “slammed” the throttle, sending the boat hurtling through the water at a high rate of speed.

“We went from a 2 mph idle to the bow of the boat sticking up in the air and I went to the back,” said Cook, who was Mallory Beach’s boyfriend.

Cook says he was holding on to Mallory Beach when they fell down to the floor of the boat when the speed increased sharply. That’s when it hit a piling, throwing several teens from the boat, including Mallory Beach.

No one deposed could say for sure that Paul Murdaugh hit that throttle. But each believed, under oath, that he was responsible for the sudden acceleration of the boat.

“Do you know who did it?” an attorney asked.

“I couldn’t tell you that for 100 percent sure, but I imagine it was Paul,” said Cook. “I mean, he was the one behind the steering wheel when it happened.”

“I’ve gone over it in my head so many times and the only thing I can think of is, like, Paul is an angry drunk, and he thinks he is invincible and so when he’s angry, I just feel like he put it in full motion,” said Doughty.

Parker’s has filed motions saying this case should be taken under “maritime law” and thus they should be exempt from civil monetary decisions and filings.
BBM

So it Beach's boyfriend's cousin, not a murdaugh cousin, is how I'm reading this.

BBM

So it Mallory's boyfriend's cousin, not a murdaugh cousin, is how I'm reading this.

You could be right. For some reason I though Cook was a cousin of PM. And then he had a cousin of his along. But I’ve been so obsessed with this case, and reading so much…may just be that the two are cousins.

From The Post & Courier Twitter page:
The Post and Courier has filed a lawsuit against the Colleton County Sheriff's Office and South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, accusing the two agencies of violating the S.C. Freedom of Information Act.

https://twitter.com/postandcourier/status/1405593965869604864
The Post and Courier sues SLED, Colleton County for public records in Murdaugh murder case
Yes, there's a spotlight shining on Colleton County for sure right now. Good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member