SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by worm, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjhelms123

mjhelms123 Member

2. bestill

bestill It's a Disney Day for SC Inmate 00378074

Bravo @stmarysmead!!! Excellent post on one hand and I'm equally befuddled on the other hand!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  3. MoeInVA

MoeInVA Well-Known Member

Yes there was, but when I looked up the case on sccourts.org it looked like the arrestee was not prosecuted.

4. stmarysmead

stmarysmead Well-Known Member

Not prosecuted? How odd.

5. stmarysmead

stmarysmead Well-Known Member

From the link..
    Arrests made in arson, armed robbery cases

MDL , 40, of Xxxx, Islandton, is facing arson charges after previously being arrested on five counts of failure to pay laborers. List appeared before municipal judge John Stanley Thursday for a bond hearing.
    According to warrants, List allegedly sprayed flammable liquids on the furniture and the walls of the Murdaugh residence and then attempted to ignite the dwelling.’

So he was inside the house. Was he a contractor of some sort? Why wasn’t he prosecuted…certainly a man so,deranged as to spray the inside of a house with flammable liquid and set a deliberate fire…is a threat to the community or anyone who hires him.

Add this to the weird list…if this was just dropped…especially by a family that are prosecutors and personal injury lawyers.

6. Born2BWild

Born2BWild Well-Known Member

Good find!

did anyone notice that a 23 year old Robert Murdaugh was arrested for (I think) armed robbery. It’s towards the end of the article linked. A relative?

7. Luna20

Luna20 Well-Known Member

This is why saying they have no enemies is inaccurate.

8. evilwise

evilwise Unknown Member

There are indeed conflicting sounding reports coming out but I think a lot of it is journalistic churn, reporting agencies wanting to publish a new article but there being so little new information being released that the articles are just rephrasing (and sometimes mild speculation) so as to sound different than the articles their competition posted the previous day. I'll try to provide answers for your very understandable questions as I recall from the many many articles already posted in this thread. Again, this is clarification purely to the best of my understanding from various reported sources. If anyone has info that I am not recalling or that I am recalling incorrectly please help me to clarify.

1. This is indeed conflicting but I believe the most official story is going to turn out that AM was at the hospital with his father at the exact time established for the killing, a very small window for the facts as we currently know them but the family's explicit references to an "iron clad alibi" feel like that's it, that Alex was on camera and witnessed by many hospital staff. Some people might think that it is almost improbably lucky for him. The reports that he was "out shooting" might mean that he had guns with him and that he had been shooting earlier than the 30 minute window the crime was established to have taken place in. There are reasonable explanations for why that window might be so narrow but we haven't been given one yet.

2. The shooting took place near outbuildings, presumably tree ones at the end of the diagonal drive through the woods and that presumably had their own lights, AM's car would have headlights and it wouldn't have even been completely dark at 9:30pm.

3. AM is not currently considered a "person of interest" by law enforcement

4. This one is definitely unclear and I would like to know more specifically as well. "A few yards" is the most specific figure I also have read which to me reads as around 12 feet or perhaps about as far as someone might run after being shot before they fall.

5. I'm not even going to touch that one other than to say again that I strongly believe the FBI should be involved in this case now that murder is officially a part of it - and the FBI shouldn't be waiting to be invited either.

6. I believe this had already been answered but it is normal for criminal charges to be dropped against deceased individuals while civil charges can proceed against their estate. I'm this case I believe the civil case had already processed beyond Paul anyway.

Again this post is to the best of my recollection and might as well be considered entirely my personal opinion or conjecture

9. Sustained

Sustained Justice for Stacy

Anyone of these peeps could be an "enemy" ... lots of crime in such a small town and one of the names is the same as charged with arson at the M's house.

Grand Jury indicts 39

10. Warwick7

Warwick7 Well-Known Member

BAM!! Exactly!!!!

11. Sustained

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  12. Rivkah11

Rivkah11 Well-Known Member

After watching that TV piece, I am convinced that media just makes up and fills in gaps with conjecture. The only verified part is 2 people are dead and it has been ruled homicide. I’ll go back to lurking…as I am not confident in swiftly working agencies…JMO

13. worm

worm Well-Known Member

I have to wonder if LE is so protective of this case because they themselves are as stumped as we are. This is starting to drag a bit and they have offered nothing. If they had progress, they would be anxious to report that.

14. evilwise

evilwise Unknown Member

<modsnip - quoted post has been removed>

Might be something as simple as it having been struck by gunfire but any new info is better than nothing.

Edited to add : I just read through all the redacted documents
    https://www.scribd.com/document/512...Reports-Colleton-County-Sheriff-s-Office-SLED

And from the tone of them, especially page 8 about "making contact with a ____________" I think law enforcement does have a suspect or suspects in custody, probably being held on lesser charges for the time being. From the amount of redaction about the security cameras I think significant useful information has already been taken from cameras.

I also found Sgt Greene's statement particularly interesting. It seems he was the first responder and quite quickly established that the scene was clear based on some details that were redacted. I wonder what those were. I would be pretty reluctant to enter a killing field like that even with a jacket and rifle.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2021
  15. MoeInVA

MoeInVA Well-Known Member

Snipped and BBM i agree this is a possibility. If there is someone being held on a lesser charge, my guess would be burglary. They might have evidence from surveillance footage of trespassing on the property at night which is sufficient for burglary. There is someone who was arrested for burglary early on and the Detective on that case is mentioned in the case file. I have also seen a bunch of drug arrests though in the county.

16. Canaille

Canaille Well-Known Member

Why does the report state murder and non negligent manslaughter?

17. Hoytie

Hoytie Former Member

I am sure once (or if ) the perpetrator(s) are caught, justice will be rendered quickly. Yet, Mallory Beach's family continues to wait for justice.

everybodhi, Alcina, Echo44 and 20 others like this.
  18. lstiff

lstiff Well-Known Member

I was wondering that too but it’s possibly just how the charge is coded in the police documents system?

ETA I found this online:
    Criminal Homicide-Murder and Nonnegligent Manslaughter: The willful (nonnegligent) killing of one human being by another. Robbery: The taking or attempting to take anything of value from the care, custody, or control of a person or persons by force or threat of force or violence and/or by putting the victim in fear.

19. Sustained

Snipped and BBM

Page 7 is a statement from someone who was paired with the sergeant making the bolded statement on page 8 to canvass local residents looking for video surveillance possibilities.

IMO, "making contact with a _____" could be as innocent as "making contact with a homeowner/resident" as the location is redacted as well.

20. evilwise

evilwise Unknown Member

Drugs are usually the easiest thing to arrest career criminals over

The black space in the document strikes me as the right size for "suspect" or "witness" but there's a lot more than just what's clearly an address redacted after that, a paragraph or two in its entirety.

There has to be some reason law enforcement so immediately made a statement that there was no danger to the community.

Alcina, thordis, Sustained and 15 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.