SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by worm, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TenaciousTBacon

TenaciousTBacon Well-Known Member

If I owned 1000+ acres I wouldn't walk my dog on the road.

2. Tabulator

Tabulator Well-Known Member

This business about the phone is really bugging me - I am trying to see this investigation in a positive way - that law enforcement is covering all the bases. But now we learn that a relative had MM's phone because he pinged it. What the heck? Isn't securing all electronics, like, LE 101?

I am not familiar with SC law, but now, even if they can find fingerprints, touch DNA, or biological evidence on the phone, the problem is chain of custody. Granted, this scenario has the murderers touching the phone and discarding it so I may be reaching. But... Jeez.

I want so much to believe this investigation is being done in a fair and appropriate way, but this phone discovery is not helping.

3. Tiff23fr

Tiff23fr Verified Expert - Cultural & Behavioral Dynamics Staff Member Moderator

Two random thoughts (I haven’t read all the pages to know if this has been tossed out.)

I wonder if MM’s purse was at the scene. Maybe she kept her phone in her purse and her purse was taken as a perceived added bonus. Maybe the perps thought there would be some cash in it. As they plunder through they first toss the phone out to avoid any tracking.

Thinking about the location being near the dog kennels, I wonder if they had a dog for sale, or maybe had plans to purchase a dog. The perp arrives under the disguise of planning to buy or sale a dog.

4. Born2BWild

Born2BWild Well-Known Member

thank you SO much, Knox! I’m all out of my free articles!

5. worm

worm Well-Known Member

That would most likely show up in some kind of communications with their phones or net? It does seem like they (perp) may have been welcomed at first with the lack of evidence showing a car had speed in or out of there.

misgrn, Subiechik21, Betty P and 3 others like this.
  6. evilwise

evilwise Unknown Member

So police were not able to locate Maggie's phone and then it was later delivered to them by the Murdaugh family. Hm.

I assume that the phone's actual ping data will be compared to its reported movements, as opposed to using a "find my phone" feature which is what a family member would do - and, I would think immediately upon learning it was not located.

Actual pings are something that phones just regularly do to confirm they're within range of a tower or towers. They can triangulate the phone's historical position from them pretty accurately these days but also these days most people's phone's have at least one app on them that checks their gps position constantly.

Maggie's phone, properly analyzed, may offer a plethora of circumstantial evidence.

7. worm

worm Well-Known Member

I don’t see why SLED didn’t search the phone out. I’m sure they have the tech.

8. genuineusa77

genuineusa77 Well-Known Member

We don't know if Paul and Buster were the only ones interviewed. I wish we could see a copy of that investigation.

9. Hotsauce777

Hotsauce777 Active Member

I’m from SC and you are correct. There is also no gun registry here. I am currently staying here in SC taking care of my elderly mother.

10. Hotsauce777

Hotsauce777 Active Member

Or to make it look like a robbery or something to throw off LE.

11. evilwise

evilwise Unknown Member

They would have needed a warrant and let's just say it wouldn't surprise me if the judges in that country were slower about issuing warrants than we might expect judges to be.

It's fine though, Webleuths are aware that there is tons of information about cell phone use and location backed up in multiple redundant places. It will be established sooner or later.

12. worm

worm Well-Known Member

Would they need a warrant to find the murder victims phone? I thought that would be automatic but we are getting a bunch of “unusuals” with this.

13. lstiff

lstiff Well-Known Member

PM cell being on him (shorts pocket) is a great theory. I was thinking maybe his was not on him and that’s why they didn’t take it. Maybe he left it on or in something nearby (close to the body per articles) but out of sight. (Out of mind)

I was thinking maybe she had hers out trying to make a call or recording (Delphi) and they took it by force but your theory of it being inside a purse/bag makes sense. I rarely see my keys these days thanks to push start and if a phone is hooked to car, depending on how long before she got out of the car, could still be inside of something.
    IMO

14. Sheila Terranova

Sheila Terranova Well-Known Member

The killer may have taken it from her as someone suggested because she was calling 911. Perhaps Paul was shot Immediately on sight because he was the target. Maybe Maggie grabbed her phone to call for help when he was shot, ..maybe the killer was apologizing politely about having to kill because they knew each other but she was a witness and she dialed during that opportunity.The killer Tossed it on the way out.

15. MoeInVA

MoeInVA Well-Known Member

Here is a double homicide in a rural area that had some similarities.

In this case it was a father and daughter who were robbed by meth heads and then killed supposedly for fear of being identified.

Given all of the meth arrests in the area, I think this sort of scenario is a real possibility.

In this old case, they bound the victims probably because the perps were unarmed. They robbed them and then used the victim’s gun to shoot them later.

ETA such a scenario could explain why a gun was possibly left at the scene and also why someone would be bound but then also killed. Finally it could explain the uptick in meth arrests post double homicide.

Man, 19, admits guilt in slaying of 2 in farmhouse

$5 million bond for each Mercer Co. murder suspect

GUILTY - OH - Robert, 70, & Colleen Grube, 47, murdered, Fort Recovery, 30 Nov 2011

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  16. Sustained

Sustained Justice for Stacy

Snipped and BBM

We don't know that a relative had MM's cell phone. The article states the relative located it on a digital map. The location of the phone could have been turned over to LE and LE then retrieved the phone.

17. BOSCOE

BOSCOE Well-Known Member

I'm right along with you on this phone business. Things are getting a little too sticky for my liking.
    MOO

18. Hoytie

Hoytie Former Member

I have no confidence that we will ever hear the truth about what is going on in this case. It all smells to high heaven. Mallory Beach's family and Stephen Smith's family will never see justice as well as long as this family seemingly 'owns' the town. Very frustrating.

19. worm

worm Well-Known Member

I hope they get some helpful information from these phones.

Beautiful dog you have in the pic.

20. Jleeryan99

Jleeryan99 Well-Known Member

I’m assuming that the red arrow is pointing toward the dog kennel in this picture. I guess that could be cages for quails or other game birds also. Most people that I know that own hunting lodges keep quails so there will always be some to hunt. I wonder if those 2 white pick up trucks that look like they are pointing like they’ve been drove across the field from the main house are law enforcement or family.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.