SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the Prosecution is also saying that, as there were many people, not just his lawyers, in the room at the time, there is No Privilege, and must be allowed to testify. One commentator said they think his lawyer/friend who has already testified, and is cooperating with LE, was in the room and reported exactly who was there at the time. This is going to be very long, as there are potentially a bunch of cases within this one. So convoluted. What is also Nuts, is the Jury can not take Notes! NUTS! Who could remember all the minutia being testified to...I feel so sorry for the Jury.
3rd parties who break the privilege could be family members and any law partners who were not representing Alex at the time. Those are the people who were allegedly present with AM and his lawyer, Jim Griffin.

I believe OP was speculating. The probate reported no life insurance for the victims. The $792K was repaid not from life insurance proceeds but by monies advanced from AM's friendly banker and his former BFF, Chris Wilson.
Probate goes through the County Court, while Life Insurance does not, as it is outside the Will, delivered directly by the Insurance Co.

He or Paul’s other friend did. I think the defense will try to make people believe they didn’t hear what they heard. What other response can they have?

Iirc is it not those people at that gathering that the prosecution wants to calls to testify or am I mistaken. Think it was said to be a full house.

Eta change to prosecution

Life insurance is not part of an estate. It is a private contract. I do not know why probate would know either way?
To be clear, life insurance payout not going through probate is not to be confused with the personal rep fulfilling the duties to report non-probate inventory to the court.

ETA: Demand for Non-Probate Inventory pursuant to SCPC 62-1-201(23)

Last edited:
Not at Forge anyway

4:32 p.m. – Defense cross-examines Dunn. He is asked if any of the accounts Murdaugh set up had any connection to Maggie or Paul. Dunn says no. He is asked if he ever sold Murdaugh life insurance for Maggie or Paul. Dunn says no.

The Murdaugh Murders, Money & Mystery | Unsolved South Carolina​

The first point of discussion in this Feb. 3 podcast was the results of alleged focus groups that Alec's defense team held in preparing for this case to try determine how a jury might come down on the motive (financial stress) the State is using.

Former S.C. Attorney General Charlie Condon tells podcast host ABC's Anne Emerson that he was told by those close to the defense team that they found in focus groups a jury was not likely to convict on murder with a postulated financial distress motive. Condon added that in high-stakes trials like this one often motives and defense strategies are tested with focus groups.

Just passing this on for your interest: Murdaugh Murder Trial Recap, Feb. 3, 2023

Last edited:
To be clear, life insurance payout not going through probate is not to be confused with the personal rep fulfilling the duties to report non-probate inventory to the court.
If it is not part of the estate, it is not part of the inventory. It pays out from the company to the beneficiary. It never belonged to Maggie, if she had insurance.

The Murdaugh Murders, Money & Mystery | Unsolved South Carolina​

The first point of discussion in this Feb. 3 podcast was the results of alleged focus groups that Alec's defense team held in preparing for this case to try determine how a jury might come down on the motive (financial stress) the State is using.

Former S.C. Attorney General Charlie Condon tells podcast host ABC's Anne Emerson that he was told by those close to the defense team that they found in focus groups a jury was not likely to convict on murder with a postulated financial distress motive. Condon added that in high-stakes trials like this one often motives and defense strategies are tested with focus groups.

Just passing this on for your interest: Murdaugh Murder Trial Recap, Feb. 3, 2023
I'm not sure what to make of this. Is the defense team releasing this alleged focus group information because they themselves opened the door to letting this information in and and they trying to save face by claiming "Oh it's really no big deal"? From the States' perspective, it takes the facts as they are -- this is the motive that the State believes applies. Personally, I find it entirely plausible that financial and legal stresses -- i.e., the walls closing in -- could cause some people to murder. JMO.

Iirc is it not those people at that gathering that the prosecution wants to calls to testify or am I mistaken. Think it was said to be a full house.

Eta change to prosecution

I think he mentions MMS parents? That somebody else said something about it too and her mom asking for clarification? I should take notes.

I'm not sure what to make of this. Is the defense team releasing this alleged focus group information because they themselves opened the door to letting this information in and and they trying to save face by claiming "Oh it's really no big deal"? From the States' perspective, it takes the facts as they are -- this is the motive that the State believes applies. Personally, I find it entirely plausible that financial and legal stresses -- i.e., the walls closing in -- could cause some people to murder. JMO.

I don’t think anybody wants to believe this but the facts are just raising too many flags. I think motive will matter less as they get closer to putting him there committing the acts.

Life insurance is not part of an estate. It is a private contract. I do not know why probate would know either way?
Just because a life insurance payout does not generally go through probate does not mean the non-probate asset is not reported to the probate court.

Generally, if the beneficiary on the policy is the estate, then the insurance company must directly pay the probate court. The court first uses said money to pay associated legal costs, like court fees. Afterward, it distributes whatever amount is left according to the deceased’s will.

Also, if Paul was the beneficiary of Maggie's life insurance, this would become a probate asset: Paul is deceased and died without a Will.

I've been here -- JMO.

ETA: Demand For Non-Probate Inventory pursuant to SCPC 62-1-201(23)

Last edited:
I absolutely agree. Someone yesterday said he has acclimated to prison, playing gambling games...What amazes me is that the Bank just handed over thousands of dollars to him with no collateral at all! None of us would be treated like that. I've always heard South Carolina was like another country, but here is the proof. Sickening.
Wonder how many people have pulled their money out of Palmetto State Bank since all this broke? I would say they have uneven fair housing/loan and account overdraft practices. OMO.

While PSB is accountable to the FDIC (and I am stunned that an FDIC audit did not flag Alec's loans and cash accounts) PSB is a privately held banking corporation so Alec's loan charge offs and other Murdaugh mischief affecting their bottom line probably only impacts the Laffittes and a closely aligned group of shareholders.

PALMETTO STATE BANKSHARES, INC.

Added: And I guess we are to believe they didn't mind losing a little money for a friend?

Last edited:
I agree. The only possible support for his claim is that when he supposedly was shot while fixing a flat tire, and went to the hospital, he then was transferred to a Rehab for his drug use. I assume they did blood tests to show drugs in his system, BUT I also know that if you are in the Emergency Room and claim you wish to commit suicide, they will put you in Rehab as well. So confusing and frustrating. South Carolina is Very loosey goosey about guns, basically no laws as I understand it, but in some states(NE for sure) anyone with a Mental Health/Drugs included, are banned from owning a gun. This will be made into a Movie at some point.
Murdaugh voluntarily checked into an in-patient substance abuse rehab facility after he was released from the hospital according to his attorney Jim Griffin. The reason given was, according to Griffin "the allegations of financial impropriety have prompted Murdaugh to confront his substance dependency...".

Alex Murdaugh resigns from law firm, checks into rehab after claims he stole money

He didn't check himself in because he realized he was an addict and wanted to get clean, get healthy and lead a sober life. IMO and just IMOO.

Just because a life insurance payout does not generally go through probate does not mean the non-probate asset is not reported to the probate court.

Generally, if the beneficiary on the policy is the estate, then the insurance company must directly pay the probate court. The court first uses said money to pay associated legal costs, like court fees. Afterward, it distributes whatever amount is left according to the deceased’s will.

Also, if Paul was the beneficiary of Maggie's life insurance, this would become a probate asset: Paul is deceased and died without a Will.

I've been here -- JMO.

ETA: Demand For Non-Probate Inventory pursuant to SCPC 62-1-201(23)
Would this vary by state ? My son in law passed away and my grandson is his only heir. My SIl's life insurance policy is not considered part of the Estate and has not been included in the Wisconsin Probate process. The insurance will be paid directly to my grandson.

Are we to think AM would confess or implicate himself to his friends, relatives or law partners at that meeting so soon after the murders? He was confronted by the CFO, but did he tell anyone about that so soon after that confrontation? Will this info just muddy the waters and confuse the jury??
Maybe in a moment of incontrollable balling he uttered something like, "I did him wrong" (something similar to what he said in the second car interview with SLED). A couple of Freudian slips on different days, to different people don't add up well.

Added: Also as a few of you have mentioned -- RG reported hearing AM's voice in call with Paul so in addition to so many opportunities for verbal evidence with the huge group that had gathered at Moselle, MM's family would be good witnesses to not only hearing RG's statement but that Alec was sitting there and did not respond. OMO.

My point -- there were a bunch of people at Moselle the night of and in the two or three days after the murders that might be valuable witnesses for the State, if the Court will name them third parties outside attorney-client privilege.

Last edited:
He could start his vehicle but not drive it until several minutes later
I am also still wondering if the "remote start" feature on his car might have been a benefit in helping him skew his times. I think most fully-loaded, late model cars have "remote start" and while mine works from a phone app, I understand that there are aftermarket key fobs that allow remote start from a much further distance (in the case that he left his phone at the house during that "silent" hour, 8+/- to 9.06).

Last edited:
Was RG that said he told MMs sister in conversation that he heard alex’s voice at kennels and he didn’t respond.?
YES, RG testified that he told MM's mother or sister that he heard AM's voice in his call with Paul, and Alec was there and didn't say a thing. (My recollection from watching testimony live on Law & Crime)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member