VERDICT WATCH SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a visual person so I created a summary diagram that represents my opinion on the case. I respect anyone else's opinion so clearly this is just my take.

View attachment 406573
WOW, thank you so much for this, Snoopster !! I'm a visual person as well, and this 'flow diagram' is a dream come true for me. Such Great Points! Hadn't thought much about the points under "not gang/boat revenge", that could be where he "fell down" because he decided that day that things were coalescing and he impulsively decided that night was a good night to lure his wife and son out to the huntin' property and off them with whatever was at hand, hose off, run to mom's, run back and call 911 and turn on the hysteria and waterworks. ETA: Including washing down everything, change clothes, hide bloody clothes and weapons temporarily to be dealt with later, etc. JMO

Last edited:
Something else I hope the jurors think hard about when deliberating is Alex lied to them.

We saw the reaction Alex's friend/law partner had yesterday to the implication he would get on the stand and lie because he was angry with Alex over money. The implication that not only means his personal integrity is questioned, but his law oath would be violated. I hope they feel his level of upset over Alex taking the stand to try to smooth talk them. The state put rebuttal witnesses up to show he lied on the stand, under oath. For a man that is sorry about how his drug use caused him to hurt those he loved and that he is just so remorseful and wants to get up there and explain why he lied, he sure didn't sound like he was sorry. Sounds like he's sorry he's caught.

@Gardenista thanks for clearing that up for me/us. Was going crazy trying to find it on the twitters.

YW. I have been tracking the jurors thru the trial. L&C posted today the makeup is now 7 white men, 3 white women and 2 black women which is what I have as well, so I feel confident I am correct. 1 black female remains as an alternate.

Cold rage, though. To me rage is something that causes people to nearly black out (or black out) in a kind of frenzy. I've been asking tons of people about it, though. I'm pretty sure I've never experienced it.

People tell me that they have "gone into a rage" and punched a wall or hit a person, without any memory or consciousness of so doing, until the action results in the emotion subsiding. Road rage defendants or perpetrators often can give absolutely no account of why they did what they did, they just did it.

Cold fury (or cold rage) is more like seething. I'm capable of that, but even with seething, I've known people who are in that state (regarding some other person) for months, or years. We've had more than one person fired for cause from our college for attacking a colleague/another employee. These were professors and, well, one college president. I know the college president well. He's a seether, but he also told me that he has moments of "blind rage" (he doesn't remember lunging at the victims, or pounding on the table, or standing up with his fists clenched while screaming at an employee - I believe him, I've actually seen him do it, I just didn't figure he'd get all the way to fired for pounding on a table and knocking over a beverage container, among other similar incidents).

I think the shot to the head was coldly calculated and that he wanted her alive for the number of seconds it took him to tell her what he wanted to say - to complete his notion of personal justice and to make her absolutely as terrified and horrified and despairing as possible. I may be influenced by some other cases I've read about recently, but it did occur to me that he disabled her, put her down on the ground first. Surely she, like most mothers, thought she would run and intervene to save her son. She didn't have time to calculate what was going on, almost no one would be able to.

He blamed her for raising his loser, alcoholic, uncontrollable, felonious son - he didn't count on having a mini-me in the form of Paul. She was still sticking up for Paul, up until the end, and he was not having it. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually had the mindset of punishing her in exactly this way, which he had thought about frequently and coldly calculated.

Rage, to me, is a more immediate emotion that is a direct response to a specific circumstance - but if he was in a rage just minutes before (while dealing with the chicken), it didn't show - and I do understand that other people might think that he still could have been enraged for hours or days, but I find it hard to use the word that way.

Maybe we could call it habitual, controlled rage.

I think he's seething right now, btw. Intensely.

IMO.
BBM
Yes @Seattle1 my husband talked about this at length last night. AM was very very calculated in the shots he took.
Yes she was kept alive long enought to feel the pain and hear what he had to say.

Cold, controlled and deadly calculating. There wasn't anger in his voice minutes before he shot them. He's very controlled....

Why is The Law&Crime Network + Court TV so seemingly biased towards the defense? I really don't understand their apparently deliberate choices re framing and the 'experts' they have on.
My opinion, their experts really are not all that expert.
They are so biased as to be narrow-minded, makes me wonder. I don't find any of their opinions to hold water.

Why is The Law&Crime Network + Court TV so seemingly biased towards the defense? I really don't understand their apparently deliberate choices re framing and the 'experts' they have on.
Well something that occurs to me just now is maybe if he's found not guilty and they have been saying just how guilty he is, then they get sued or some type of backlash for saying he was guilty.. if he's guilty and all they did was say he's not guilty and they didn't prove the case and so on then no big deal.

None of them are federal, so far. And I am not sure if they have charged him with a Ponzi scheme yet. I figure the feds will let SC do their thing with him first (21 indictments? over 110 charges and rising? Something like that).

I think SC wants priority (and they filed first). I think the feds would prefer to let him hang out in maximum security in SC rather than in a more comfortable federal prison.

He probably wishes he had been federally charged first. He'll be right there in jail for a loong time, although I suppose he might have to move jails if there are different trial venues.

It's clear it was a Ponzi scheme, he's admitted as much, there's both state and federal law against that. Federal trials are mega-expensive, so I can see why the feds are letting SC put him away forever.

Yesterday, it looked like he could be facing 1000 years in prison.

IMO.
And he admitted to all of it

I believe they acquired the property in late 2014-early 2015.

We know it was 2016 when AM completed the fraudulent transfer of Moselle to MM for $5.
Definitely. The previous owner was a partner with AM in the illegal drug business. Talk about the “tangled web”! We don’t know the half of it…YET. That’s why so many are scrambling right now. A lot of ‘ol boy’s looking for cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member