GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate writing this. But I’m still just so perplexed why SLED did not secure the scene and all of Moselle for at least a few days - especially the area where Paul and Maggie were found. Something does not sit right with me that it was AM’s brother was the one who cleaned up Paul’s remains THE VERY NEXT DAY after the body was taken away. Wouldn’t a double murder crime scene be roped off for some time so that crime scene investigators and evidence collectors could gather evidence? It hurts my mind! Just like it was AM’s brother who towed the boat away (from a crime scene) before Mallory’s body was even located. Seems like Brother is always doing clean up for AM and family. Heck, my neighbor shot a gun from her vehicle (not at someone but into a building - no one hurt) and they took her car for an entire 10 days for evidence gathering. I just can’t wrap my head about the lack processing and securing of the crime scene and have concerns that AM had help after the fact.

I have felt for a long time that Alex has wanted to see this as it was not "the real me" -- the stress and drugs made me into a different person. JMO.
I’m hung up on his use of “intentionally”. I believe in his twisted mind, he thinks something caused him to HAVE to kill them which was just purely an unfortunate circumstance. Otherwise, he surely would have never ever have intentionally hurt them otherwise. Is it the pressure of money as we suspect, pressure from unknown persons, MM and or PM. Idk, but something made June 7 the DAY he truly flipped his lid.

And I thought I just heard an interview with defendant’s counsel post sentencing on the Courthouse steps.

Sure thought I heard lead defense counsel say along lines of once video was out - ‘he had to take the stand’. And that was after discussing the apparent conversations about whether the defendant should testify on his behalf.

I found that an interesting statement.
MOO.
what was very interesting in defense comments was that Alex getting on the stand was always in the works as Alex wanted to get on there and some language that they or he thought "he could pull it off" which implies deception and this coming right from his attorneys. <modsnip> should retire. Not impressed with him at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question: When Judge Newman was thanking the jury post-verdict, he alluded to some issue one juror was having at his job. It sounded like the employer was going to fire the juror if the trial went on too long.

Some googling shows that SC, like most states, have laws that prevent jurors from losing their jobs. Anyone have any idea what the issue could be here?

I just listened to the defense's press conference. I have some thoughts.

They downplay the financials, twist it into whatever narrative they want and suggest the state only wanted it to show his bad character, but then claimed it was to show motive where there is no financial motive. Well who do we believe Alex's WORDS that financials was not a motive.. nothing to see here, not pressure, no stress, my world was not closing it, Jeanie was mistaken, there was nothing big with the boat case.. and on and on..

OR do we follow the trail the state laid out?

He did this financial crime and then to cover that one he had to steal X money and pay back Y thing. Then the next case came along and he took this money or did this misdeed, borrowed from this bank, cashed this check, borrowed from his friend, put his house as collateral, etc. and on and on. There was a clear path of how each next crime helped him clear up the previous misdeed. Then in June 2021 there was nobody else to "rob".. he tried to get a loan, his account was overdrawn by $300,000+, he was confronted that day, he was preparing for the boat hearing, he inquired about his 401K that same day. What was he going to do? Where was he going to get any more money? What case was pending that could get him out of this current mess? There wasn't one. He was being slowly squeezed and he did know that boat case was going to expose his financials. There was not one piece of evidence to show he could get money from anywhere else that day.

Now suppose he puts one of his properties on the market.. do you think that would fly? His financials were front and center because of the boat case and him getting rid of assets while the heat was on was not going to happen. I believe it was one of his law partners that said when they were seeing the odd financials they thought he was trying to move money around to avoid disclosing it in the boat case. That is illegal in itself. Little did they know he was just plain stealing from them.

Just because there was no life insurance on his wife and son does not mean it wasn't financially motivated. That financial pressure was on ingredient in the mix and the TIMING of it was key. The defense just wants us to take their word that Alex said there was no financial motive.. yeah okay. In Alex's world financial GAIN was not the motive.. it was keeping his financial actions secret that was motive. It was him eliminating things he thought were exposing those crimes or the reason those crimes would be found out.

So many comments here and elsewhere saying they didn't see a financial motive because there was no life insurance. Well that isn't the only way someone benefits financially from someone's death.

Keel's comment made me wonder if they think someone did aid Alec.

I hope they jump right into Stephen's and Gloria's cases ASAP. My feeling has always been there was a crime in both.
Yes, I feel both were violent criminal acts, again, out of selfishness and self protection and anger. Def Steven Smith, saddest thing and Mrs. S. Both of these people were vulnerable and unfortunately lived around the Murdaugh's circle and Mrs. S decades long intimate knowledge of them and care of sons and everything else. I think LE def wants to jump immed into Mrs. S for sure.

I hate writing this. But I’m still just so perplexed why SLED did not secure the scene and all of Moselle for at least a few days - especially the area where Paul and Maggie were found. Something does not sit right with me that it was AM’s brother was the one who cleaned up Paul’s remains THE VERY NEXT DAY after the body was taken away. Wouldn’t a double murder crime scene be roped off for some time so that crime scene investigators and evidence collectors could gather evidence? It hurts my mind! Just like it was AM’s brother who towed the boat away (from a crime scene) before Mallory’s body was even located. Seems like Brother is always doing clean up for AM and family. Heck, my neighbor shot a gun from her vehicle (not at someone but into a building - no one hurt) and they took her car for an entire 10 days for evidence gathering. I just can’t wrap my head about the processing of the crime scene and have concerns that AM had help after the fact.
you are not alone...I have never heard of a crime scene released that fast and the house where Blanca went in to put things in order "just like Maggie would want". I think SLED was still at this point extending AM and family "professional courtesies" that few others would get. I think the right verdict was reached but boy that investigation was questionable. I see SLED taking victory laps now in front of the courthouse but seriously they need to review and clean up their protocols and they need to be followed no matter who the victims and suspects are.

I think they need to ask AM’s brother about the guns - the brother who is seen on Fit News drone footage removing guns and rifles from the main house at Moselle shortly after the murders. I believe it was the one who cleaned up Paul’s remains the day after the murder, but would need to rewatch the Netflix doc.
I remember AM saying he ‘took a 38 revolver from his dads home’ (stole) to his suicide deal and that gun is missing too!

And I thought I just heard an interview with defendant’s counsel post sentencing on the Courthouse steps.

Sure thought I heard lead defense counsel say along lines of once video was out - ‘he had to take the stand’. And that was after discussing the apparent conversations about whether the defendant should testify on his behalf.

I found that an interesting statement.
MOO.
I suspect the lawyers are just saying this for public consumption. If you say that your client shouldn't have taken the stand, it suggests you think your client is not an innocent man.

I have no doubt they didn't want Alex to testify.

I just listened to the defense's press conference. I have some thoughts.

They downplay the financials, twist it into whatever narrative they want and suggest the state only wanted it to show his bad character, but then claimed it was to show motive where there is no financial motive. Well who do we believe Alex's WORDS that financials was not a motive.. nothing to see here, not pressure, no stress, my world was not closing it, Jeanie was mistaken, there was nothing big with the boat case.. and on and on..

OR do we follow the trail the state laid out?

He did this financial crime and then to cover that one he had to steal X money and pay back Y thing. Then the next case came along and he took this money or did this misdeed, borrowed from this bank, cashed this check, borrowed from his friend, put his house as collateral, etc. and on and on. There was a clear path of how each next crime helped him clear up the previous misdeed. Then in June 2021 there was nobody else to "rob".. he tried to get a loan, his account was overdrawn by $300,000+, he was confronted that day, he was preparing for the boat hearing, he inquired about his 401K that same day. What was he going to do? Where was he going to get any more money? What case was pending that could get him out of this current mess? There wasn't one. He was being slowly squeezed and he did know that boat case was going to expose his financials. There was not one piece of evidence to show he could get money from anywhere else that day.

Now suppose he puts one of his properties on the market.. do you think that would fly? His financials were front and center because of the boat case and him getting rid of assets while the heat was on was not going to happen. I believe it was one of his law partners that said when they were seeing the odd financials they thought he was trying to move money around to avoid disclosing it in the boat case. That is illegal in itself. Little did they know he was just plain stealing from them.

Just because there was no life insurance on his wife and son does not mean it wasn't financially motivated. That financial pressure was on ingredient in the mix and the TIMING of it was key. The defense just wants us to take their word that Alex said there was no financial motive.. yeah okay. In Alex's world financial GAIN was not the motive.. it was keeping his financial actions secret that was motive. It was him eliminating things he thought were exposing those crimes or the reason those crimes would be found out.

So many comments here and elsewhere saying they didn't see a financial motive because there was no life insurance. Well that isn't the only way someone benefits financially from someone's death.
They also wanted jury to buy that June 7th was "just another day" after what happened at the law firm. Defense so often asked the jury to believe things that would require you to completely suspend common sense. But the jury was not buying it...not even the tears.

I suspect the lawyers are just saying this for public consumption. If you say that your client shouldn't have taken the stand, it suggests you think your client is not an innocent man.

I have no doubt they didn't want Alex to testify.
but their client was the smartest guy in the room. He did not look too smart in the jumpsuit. The guy must have lost 100 lbs. He is really a shadow just 1.5 years ago.

I hate writing this. But I’m still just so perplexed why SLED did not secure the scene and all of Moselle for at least a few days - especially the area where Paul and Maggie were found. Something does not sit right with me that it was AM’s brother was the one who cleaned up Paul’s remains THE VERY NEXT DAY after the body was taken away. Wouldn’t a double murder crime scene be roped off for some time so that crime scene investigators and evidence collectors could gather evidence? It hurts my mind! Just like it was AM’s brother who towed the boat away (from a crime scene) before Mallory’s body was even located. Seems like Brother is always doing clean up for AM and family. Heck, my neighbor shot a gun from her vehicle (not at someone but into a building - no one hurt) and they took her car for an entire 10 days for evidence gathering. I just can’t wrap my head about the lack processing and securing of the crime scene and have concerns that AM had help after the fact.
I am going to talk in general terms here.. but it seems after anything is going on that could paint the Murdaugh's in a bad light, it seems by them being involved right away they control the narrative. I don't think it's always that they know what exactly is going on, but when the waters are muddy, then it gives them, the Murdaughs, the chance to write whatever narrative they want to benefit them and show them in the best light.

Count me among those who would not be in the LEAST surprised to someday discover the guns used are buried with RM3.

A man who would go from murdering his son in cold blood to laying his head alongside that of his dementia-ridden mother's in her bed to use her as an alibi would do anything.
I figured they were buried somewhere on the grounds at Almeda. Private property. I don't think the grounds at Almeda were searched, just the house where AM's mother lives. Am I correct about that?

IMO. On the night of the murders, SLED was outnumbered by the many guests invited by AM. These guests were there for one pupose: to protect AM at all costs. It wouldn't surprise me if AM confessed to one or more what he had done.

But for whatever reason, they didn't use a voluntary intoxication defense (claiming he was unable to form intent, so it could not be first degree murder; it was second degree murder or even voluntary manslaughter). Nope, they didn't want to plead out to a lesser charge, using lack of intent/voluntary intoxication.

That's their own fault. And let's face it, we were all on tenterhooks here, wondering if Alec would be convicted. The same youtube lawyers who predicted he wouldn't be, are now whining that the jury didn't deliberate long enough to truly consider all the digital evidence.

The jury spent a month or so immersed in that evidence. Why would they need a bunch of time to go over it again? Defense completely failed to bring up any reasonable doubt.
RSBM.

The prosecution also had an option to ask for a "lesser included charge" instruction at the close of evidence. But the jury was instructed only on murder in the first degree. Was the prosecution more confident than the talking head "experts"?

Many of us were puzzled by the press's observers (including the NYT) who were equivocal and even doubtful the prosecutors had proven the case beyond a reasonable doubt.

I wondered at the time whether some of the attorneys commenting on the case were part of the Murdaugh network...

In some crazy way, because AM called everyone and their brother, no pun, to come over and consciously or not they tromped around the place inside and out. Part of me wants to think that at first everyone who showed up were going to protect AM.

I haven’t watched the Netflix thing yet, but my son did. He had thought JJM came across as nice on the stand. Mind you he is young and is new to all this. But after the Netflix, he was appalled that someone was right there to clean up the boat before the “poor girl” had even been found. I refer to them a as the cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021