GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good read for those interested in how opioid pills functioned as money, particularly at the height of the opioid epidemic, is Dreamland by Sam Quinones.

I knew someone that met their dealer at gas stations and bought pills by filling their tanks with a credit card that their wife was less likely to question.

I now remember there was an evidence photo of her car parked at the house. Alex said he drove a golf cart back, but I suppose it could just as easy have been her car. Maybe easier.
<modsnip>
WALTERBORO, S.C. — Alex Murdaugh, the disgraced South Carolina prosecutor who was found guilty of murdering his wife and son, was booked into South Carolina's Kirkland Reception and Evaluation Center Friday evening.

The 54-year-old was completely shaved and wearing a yellow jumpsuit in the most recent mugshot after a judge sentenced him to a double life sentence.

He will be held in a single cell for now, a South Carolina Department of Correctionssource told Fox News Digital.

"He will be assessed, and we will determine what his permanent placement will be," said the source, who noted haircuts are standard procedure.

View attachment 406931
Convicted killer Alex Murdaugh's new mugshot revealed after double life sentence

He looks much happier here than he did in court. Maybe he is thinking he has a good case for an appeal.

Last night JG said AM will do ‘real well’ in prison. I don’t know what his purpose was for saying that. He said “he’s a good attorney, he’s very friendly, makes friends with anyone easily and he’s a big guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow I don't believe that AM's family is fully believing in his innocence and steadfast in their support. That sounds like typical defense attorney crapola to me. :rolleyes:

I have seen cases where families stood by in total support---and they took the stand in an effort to mitigate the penalty and to publicly show their loved one their total support.

I've seen grown kids who support their parents, even when that parent allegedly killed the other parent. And grandparents who have stood by their children, even when they are accused of killing the grandchild. And these family members who believe their loved ones are innocent will publicly proclaim that belief. JMO
There was a strong contingent of supporters that daily marched into that courtroom to support AM. I assume mostly family. It has been reported that even Maggie's sister did not think AM did this. It is beyond the realm of some in the inner circle to fully accept that he could do this. I get that. I think with time that will change. I have to wonder how many of the family really think he did not do it or were they there to try to protect the family name? I think his sister being a bit more out of the loop in terms of the financials and clean up (at least I have not heard her name) does think he is innocent....and then there is Buster. Who can even speculate what he is thinking? I can't imagine. At some point in the future more evidence will turn up..this trial will be a story for many years.

<modsnip>

He looks much happier here than he did in court. Maybe he is thinking he has a good case for an appeal.

Last night JG said AM will do ‘real well’ in prison. I don’t know what his purpose was for saying that. He said “he’s a good attorney, he’s very friendly, makes friends with anyone easily and he’s a big guy.
I imagine because, wherever Alec M goes (whether into a case, into a room or into a prison), there are people he can use.

It's his trade.

Pathetic and criminal.

JMO

Was Walterboro a change of venue or the closest courthouse?
as I understand it they did not ask for a change of venue. <modsnip> indicated they polled some other counties and could not find an area where the case was not well known. I think Walterboro was the nearest courthouse that could handle the media and crowds. It is a very impressive and beautiful courthouse.

<modsnip>

attorneys are in high demand behind bars. Often these guys have nothing to do but plan for hearings..either probation or some for appeals. Defense team right...AM will actually be happier playing the prison attorney than being out in the real world.

I find this highly convincing in respect of the rain jacket - if one follows the correct process for analysing circumstantial evidence (as per the prosecutor)

The risk is always henpecking and speculating away circumstantial evidence one piece at a time, rather than considering the big picture. Oh maybe someone had been shooting previously with this raincoat.

Of course one can always come up with speculative reasons to explain away each piece of evidence in isolation, but one must consider first what has been established as a fact before asking what inferences we can make

In this case, the prosecutor notes that it was factually established that the accused took something blue to the parents' house and the raincoat with GSR was recovered when police went and searched for such an object. It is these facts together that are critical.

Speculating about when the GSR got on the raincoat is not the point. The point is this is a very strange thing for the accused to doing on days after the murder if he cannot reasonably account for it.

Once a juror finds that the witness did in fact see AM delivering the blue jacket, and (implicitly) stashing it in the closet - this is a disastrous set of facts for the accused.

What's interesting is the jury, cloistered from endless handwringing from TV defence lawyers, saw this as an overwhelming case and appeared to take the natural and obvious 'route one' to a guilty verdict

The accused was simply unable to explain away his fake alibi and lies.

I think there is a trap of speculating into existence yet more theories that the defence themselves don't seriously advance. Especially the vigilante theory. How shall law enforcement investigate something that was 100% invented by the accused immediately after the shooting? But then the defence advance yet another theory that it was the drug associate?

The way to disprove this stuff, is to follow the evidence.
bolded and enlarged to highlight the key powerful ideas.

Excellent points @mrjitty ! I loved your posts!
There is always another possible speculative theory and the prosecution can't argue against them all. And each individual piece of circumstantial evidence has to be looked at in the context of all of the other evidence.

Just as for 'reasonable doubt', everything must be looked at in it's entirety and in context.

I knew someone that met their dealer at gas stations and bought pills by filling their tanks with a credit card that their wife was less likely to question.

Wow, there are all kinds of ways to disguise it. It’s so sad how it can wreck your family’s life in the process.

In the case of ‘accidental overdose’ does that mean they didn’t want to die and just misjudged the dosage amount taken? Or is it because they want to reach another level?

Recently I was in the ER for disc pain, I was waiting on a nerve block. The hospital was so crowded they had beds in the hallways. I had been in once before for the same reason and they gave me Hydrocodone then. I brought it with me to the ER because I had taken it but I wasn’t getting any relief. The pain was excruciating and the wait was so long I took 3 more pills at one time while in the hallway. It occurred to me after that just because they weren’t working doesn’t mean it was safe to triple the dose. If I had kept taking more it could have been an accidental overdose for someone who hasn’t ever done recreational drugs.

The whole area already feels 'lighter' if that makes sense. Such darkness and bad press was truly embarrassing to a really quaint and beautiful part of the State made up of hardworking and honest people.

MOO
I really does look like a beautiful spot...I was not at all familiar with this area called "low country" and I think the juxtaposition of such a beautiful background and such a horrific crime make for some really dramatic documentaries and movies.

Good for him, the attempted manipulating of witnesses, the refusal to acknowledge Pauls roll in her death, the running theme of never being accountable, I would not have anything to say either, well not anything nice. He handled it perfectly moo
It seems clear that within hours of that boat accident AM and machine were in full on mode to frame Connor for the death. Thankfully a careful analysis of positions in the boat and possible drivers led to conclusion that it was Paul. That fact added to so many others paint the picture of AM as such a vile human being. And he is right there saying he can help get Connor off. I don't think any parent could have made up that story. And remember this Murdaugh dynasty started way back with AM the great grandfather....we don't know 1/2 the stories but I bet many locals do.

When it comes to bad lawyer jokes, Dick Harpootlian encompasses every negative stereotype that you can think of. He comes across as self serving prick.
Having listened to a lot of the attorney commentators throughout the trial, I was amazed at their seemly lack of concern for truth or connection to reality. For many of the so called expert attorneys, the trial wasn’t about truth or justice, it was about strategy on how to trick a jury and a running commentary on all the mistakes that the prosecution was making. A lot of arrogance on full display, thinking that the ‘common folk jury’ would end up confused and unsure.
The world needs more Judge Newmans.

I imagine because, wherever Alec M goes (whether into a case, into a room or into a prison), there are people he can use.

It's his trade.

Pathetic and criminal.

JMO
attorneys are in high demand behind bars. Often these guys have nothing to do but plan for hearings..either probation or some for appeals. Defense team right...AM will actually be happier playing the prison attorney than being out in the real world.

True, he will probably feel important and smarter than anyone else there, though he wasn’t smart enough to pull off his worst crime. He will feel like he has control over them.

I don't know if others perceived this but Griffin seemed less excited about an appeal and in a way seemed beaten down and sort of over this whole AM debacle. I think he knew Paul and Maggie well and is devastated at their brutal murder. He knows there are no other suspects. I found <modsnip> comment "not our job" to find the real killer/s really sad. Of course it is not but as usual with this guy it could have been worded better. They also have the 99+ cases ahead for this guy. I mean seriously I don't think Griffin believes in his client and it shows..it showed in closing. He is getting very poor reviews on his performance at closing.

I don't know if others perceived this but Griffin seemed less excited about an appeal and in a way seemed beaten down and sort of over this whole AM debacle. I think he knew Paul and Maggie well and is devastated at their brutal murder. He knows there are no other suspects. I found <MOD NOTE - HIS NAME IS HARPOOTLIAN> comment "not our job" to find the real killer/s really sad. Of course it is not but as usual with this guy it could have been worded better. They also have the 99+ cases ahead for this guy. I mean seriously I don't think Griffin believes in his client and it shows..it showed in closing. He is getting very poor reviews on his performance at closing.
When it comes to bad lawyer jokes, Dick Harpootlian encompasses every negative stereotype that you can think of. He comes across as self serving prick.
Having listened to a lot of the attorney commentators throughout the trial, I was amazed at their seemly lack of concern for truth or connection to reality. For many of the so called expert attorneys, the trial wasn’t about truth or justice, it was about strategy on how to trick a jury and a running commentary on all the mistakes that the prosecution was making. A lot of arrogance on full display, thinking that the ‘common folk jury’ would end up confused and unsure.
The world needs more Judge Newmans.
and did you note that so often he would try to explain away his inappropriate actions/comments with "i'm an old guy". I will agree with you <MOD NOTE - HIS NAME IS HARPOOTLIAN> but then look at the Judge...maybe about same age and so articulate and professional. Sorry <MOD NOTE - HIS NAME IS HARPOOTLIAN> but age is not an excuse.

It's his trade.

Pathetic and criminal.

JMO

True, he will probably feel important and smarter than anyone else there, though he wasn’t smart enough to pull off his worst crime. He will feel like he has control over them.

<modsnip>

Not to belabor the point, BUT, The trial never went into where he was able to obtain 50k of oxy a week, how he got them, from whom, if they were being filled by pharmacies (impossible) or black market, etc. Here's my thought...NO ONE WANTED TO GO THERE. Drug cartels have infiltrated every edge of society, government, LE, schools, etc. Payoffs of people are made for silence. Could these murders have been done by drug runners as a warning to AM? Pay us..you are behind...Pay LE, they are closing in on us? They didnt kill AM, he was their best customer or whatever his role was? The real story here is the drugs. Just my opinion. DID AM kill his wife and son? Probably...however, no fingerprints, DNA, blood, unsecured murder scene....Perhaps AM couldnt say he thought the crimes were committed by drug runners and blamed the case against Paul and the boat wreck as a revenge killing? Yeah, he was at the kennels...he lied....If he wasnt the shooter, he has a damn good idea who it was IMO and he and the prosecution and the defense never ever went to the drug connection as a motive..dangerous water to stick their toes in....Totally my imagination here but worthy of consideration...You dont spend millions on drugs and no one asks where he got them? Preposterous...MOO

Not to belabor the point, BUT, The trial never went into where he was able to obtain 50k of oxy a week, how he got them, from whom, if they were being filled by pharmacies (impossible) or black market, etc. Here's my thought...NO ONE WANTED TO GO THERE. Drug cartels have infiltrated every edge of society, government, LE, schools, etc. Payoffs of people are made for silence. Could these murders have been done by drug runners as a warning to AM? Pay us..you are behind...Pay LE, they are closing in on us? They didnt kill AM, he was their best customer or whatever his role was? The real story here is the drugs. Just my opinion. DID AM kill his wife and son? Probably...however, no fingerprints, DNA, blood, unsecured murder scene....Perhaps AM couldnt say he thought the crimes were committed by drug runners and blamed the case against Paul and the boat wreck as a revenge killing? Yeah, he was at the kennels...he lied....If he wasnt the shooter, he has a damn good idea who it was IMO and he and the prosecution and the defense never ever went to the drug connection as a motive..dangerous water to stick their toes in....Totally my imagination here but worthy of consideration...You dont spend millions on drugs and no one asks where he got them? Preposterous...MOO

DH said he knew Newman wasn’t going to be on the low end side of time served for AM because he is known for not being conservative in sentencing. DH said that was another reason he didn’t want the other crimes brought in because of Newmans strong punitive stance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd