SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of those same guns were used in the trial to portray the guns that shot MM and PM, by the prosecution.

The guns were removed initially because Mozelle was unsecured. Gun owners are responsible for unsecured guns, under law.

I would think, it would be standard procedure for LE to round up all guns owned by the Ms for testing. But who know what LE did. Moo

All moo
I remember the "boys" all sitting at Moselle in the "gun room" with so many guns hanging on the wall the day after the murders...nothing secured at all anywhere in that house just so closed to crime scene. AM got the VIP treatment from local law enforcement and SLED seemed to go along with it. And Blanca going in to tidy up the house to be just like MM would like it? She had to be thinking what is going on here. She is far from dumb.

But, Maggie's sister testified that Maggie was adamant that Paul was not the guilty driver in the boat crash. In fact, Maggie was prepared to be ostracized by her community rather than admit that her drunk son was a reckless murderer.

If Maggie believed that Paul was not the driver, then she was not looking for him to settle the boat crash lawsuits. She was dug in. Her family was not responsible.

As it turns out, the husband, Alex, was first to arrive at the housekeeper's "slip and fall" and EMS arrived later ... even though Alex was phoned 30 minutes after EMS was called.

It's quite something to try to understand Alex and the influence he had over his wife.
Remember Blanca testified that Maggie told her she would give up everything to get the whole thing over with. She just wanted to move on with her life, and said she was willing to start over if necessary.

Those pillows are strategically placed on their facebook page to make it clear where the stuff is from. I bet the turnout for this one is high. Hope the proceeds when all is said and done go to all the victims. This must be tough for MM's sister.
Hopefully, her sister and family were able to choose some momentos to take. Very sad and a bit gruesome IMPOV.

If it was a multi party phone call, the lawyer/client rule may not apply? Just wondering, as someone on a law podcast mentioned the possibility.
Jail phone calls are not multi party. Law podcast person doesn't know what they are talking about.

All inmate jail calls are recorded but when it is obvious an inmate is talking to their attorney the person listening needs to stop listening and those conversations should never be released for anyone to hear.

Like when LE is doing a wire tap and listening in to conversations, as soon as they hear it is a private conversation unrelated to their case they have to stop listening. They are not allowed to listen to everything or reveal everything.

Like there is a wire tap in someone's home and LE listening in hears a kid talking about their day at school or parents discussing a remodel project or there is a visitor, any number of things, then LE needs to take off their headsets or fast forward on the recording and stop listening, and they do not transcribe these conversations.

I am not one, but would be good to get a lawyer input and someone from SC on this point.

To my recollection, all jail calls are typically monitored and/or recorded. For what purposes, legal measures I am not sure. And could vary by state.

Whether an attorney or their client was to expect or assert privilege on a line of that type is another matter.

I am not saying that it should have been released at this point. Just that there still might be a matter whether or not one as either party on a jail initiated call or line could expect privacy? And whether or not that could also arise to an attorney client privileged call on such a phone system?
MOO

I am not one, but would be good to get a lawyer input and someone from SC on this point.

To my recollection, all jail calls are typically monitored and/or recorded. For what purposes, legal measures I am not sure. And could vary by state.

Whether an attorney or their client was to expect or assert privilege on a line of that type is another matter.

I am not saying that it should have been released at this point. Just that there still might be a matter whether or not one as either party on a jail initiated call or line could expect privacy? And whether or not that could also arise to an attorney client privileged call on such a phone system?
MOO
This is all about attorney client privilege. You have a right, a legal right, to attorney client privilege no matter where you are. You could be talking to your attorney at their office, in your home, in court, at a restaurant, on the phone, even while climbing MT Everest. No matter where you are, what you say to your attorney has to stay private.

This privacy does not go away because you are in jail. In jail, defendants speak to their attorneys in person, on the phone and in video chats, all are private, all fall under attorney client privilege.

No one has the right to listen in or put out your conversation to the media whether by recording or transcript.

My information comes from my personal experience using attorneys and having attorney client privilege. My attorneys always talked about everything staying just between us.

One reason jail phone calls are recorded is for safety and crime reasons, such as inmates conducting other crimes like buying drugs or wanting to get drugs smuggled into the jaill.

Many defendants have been caught on jail recordings making threats against witnesses even trying to hire hits in extreme cases.

There was a case in AK where an inmate - waiting for trial in jail - convinced a relative over the phone to send a bomb through the mail. The inmate wanted revenge on the person who informed on them, the person who was the witness against them. This relative sent the bomb and killed one of the informer's family members.

The jail was sued and the plaintiffs won their case because the jail failed to listen to the recorded phone calls that would have disclosed all the bomb planting, revenge conversations. The inmate tried to talk in code which is why they thought they were safe.

Another reason for taped jail calls is because anything incriminating an inmate says can be used against them in court. If they talk about their case or admit their guilt it can be used against them. Even talking about their trial strategy can be listened to by the prosecution in certain circumstances, as happened in a case I followed.

This only applies when an inmate is talking to people who are not part of the defense team. Defense has investigators and mental health experts and office staff and assistants, etc....working for them and all these conversations are private because they are done on behalf of the attorney working on the defendant's case.

2 Cents

Last edited:
Maybe I have this wrong but I assume family had time to go in and pick out things they wanted. Guess the monogramed pillows did not catch anyone's eye? This sale again I assume is with full knowledge and approval of the family....not like it was all confiscated and sold without their knowing. Hope Buster got his personalized pot from Almeda. Seems like JMM is probably in charge of this and the sale was ready to go pending results of the trial. I mean what are they going to do with all of that stuff. It will sell quickly I bet.
No the Judge appointed two attorney to liquidate the assets of Mozelle. This was to satisfy the lawsuit from the beach family, against MM and PM for the boat accident.

This happened to my great aunt, we had to attend the auction and purchase items. Once the judge appointed a conserver, the locks were changed and that was it.

Moo...

MOO
It was illegally released. I posted the link up thread from the SC State Code, Client Attorney Privilege.

CNN Breaking news: STEPHEN SMITH a homicide per SOUTH CAROLINA authorities. Finally, for his mother who never stopped to get the truth out there for her son. Let's see what is found. So horrible that someone could so monsterously kill this young man, for what. Who or who directed this.

CNN Breaking news: STEPHEN SMITH a homicide per SOUTH CAROLINA authorities. Finally, for his mother who never stopped to get the truth out there for her son. Let's see what is found. So horrible that someone could so monsterously kill this young man, for what. Who or who directed this.

Any link for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member