SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
At any point in time, the defense team had an opportunity to request the trial be held in a different jurisdiction, have a different judge assigned to the case. And the defense waived these opportunities.

The defendant had a fair trial. And I personally believe that Murdaugh was so narcissistic that he thought he would get off. So, none of these "small" details mattered to him. In his narrow mind, he had committed the "perfect" crime.

My own opinion, is that he locked his own prison door the day he testified. "Yes, I have lied and cheated people, but I am not lying today.". Seriously?!

I am personally annoyed that AM was able to use his retirement account funds for his defense team. But, I guess it was seen as a potential appeal issue, so let him waste his money on his defense. It just annoys me, because he owes so many people money.
I don't know what the 11th hour dismissed juror would have voted but I think AM was VERY VERY close to a hung jury.

I guess the filing of the appeal was to get the clock ticking, since it didn't have any specifics? One of my friends is a SC appellate Judge. I am curious as to how long it will take for them to hear the case, it could be years. I looked on their schedule for April and they are hearing cases as old as 2018 and new as 2022, most are from 2020.

I guess the filing of the appeal was to get the clock ticking, since it didn't have any specifics? One of my friends is a SC appellate Judge. I am curious as to how long it will take for them to hear the case, it could be years. I looked on their schedule for April and they are hearing cases as old as 2018 and new as 2022, most are from 2020.

I think the filing has to be within a 2 week period. Not positive but there is a rather quick deadline.

I think the filing has to be within a 2 week period. Not positive but there is a rather quick deadline.
An appeal notice is required filed within 10 days.

At any point in time, the defense team had an opportunity to request the trial be held in a different jurisdiction, have a different judge assigned to the case. And the defense waived these opportunities.

The defendant had a fair trial. And I personally believe that Murdaugh was so narcissistic that he thought he would get off. So, none of these "small" details mattered to him. In his narrow mind, he had committed the "perfect" crime.

My own opinion, is that he locked his own prison door the day he testified. "Yes, I have lied and cheated people, but I am not lying today.". Seriously?!

I am personally annoyed that AM was able to use his retirement account funds for his defense team. But, I guess it was seen as a potential appeal issue, so let him waste his money on his defense. It just annoys me, because he owes so many people money.

I know! ‘I’ve lied all the way up to today, but today I’m not lying’. His credibility was shot, and then add in the “Pau Pau and Mags”, that sealed it.

He was the worst witness for his own personal trial of a lifetime! That has to sting.

I sure hope LE is keeping their eyes on ALL of the members of the Murdaugh family! All of these new revelations - and the fact that any of them could leave the country in a heartbeat! I’m just saying….. IMO!

The defense had 10 days to file the notice of appeal (Rule 203). If they would have missed that deadline I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to appeal. After the notice is filed they have 10 days to order and pay for the trial transcript (Rule 207). The court reporter then has 60 days to deliver the transcript (Rule 207.2). The reporter can file for an extension (up to 3 times max or 90 days total) (Rule 207.3). After receiving the transcript, the initial brief must be served on all parties to the appeal within 30 days (Rule 208). So, it may be 90 days before they even begin to write the brief. Then there is an answer to the initial brief and so it goes on and on. It could be a few years before it even makes it to the docket.

More on the appellate process: Appellate Court Rules

I don't know what the 11th hour dismissed juror would have voted but I think AM was VERY VERY close to a hung
Maybe it would just have taken longer than 3 hours to reach a verdict. Like maybe a whole week, as in the cases of Charles Manson and Scott Peterson. It took the jury 7 hours to deliberate about Ted Bundy. This Murdaugh verdict might be some kind of record.

JMO

Maybe it would just have taken longer than 3 hours to reach a verdict. Like maybe a whole week, as in the cases of Charles Manson and Scott Peterson. It took the jury 7 hours to deliberate about Ted Bundy. This Murdaugh verdict might be some kind of record.

JMO
From what I heard it sounded like the 3 that didn't immediately vote guilty had some questions and concerns about some of the evidence from the scene. If my mom (someone who is prissy and not outdoorsy at all) was on a jury like this and had questions about some of what she'd probably say were "boy or redneck" activities, I could see her going in to deliberate and being unsure. But once she heard more info about how guns and ammo work, I think she'd easily come to a decision to vote guilty. So it wouldn't necessarily be that she changed her mind but that she was leaning a certain way and needed some clarification before she felt 100% that he was guilty.

Thu, March 9, 2023 at 11:48 AM EST

Fri, March 10, 2023 at 12:11 PM EST

I don’t know but this article is pretty clear that the hair was probably from MM’s head wound, and was not actually in her hand like the defense tried to portray it.
Yes, and even before the article came out, in my own opinion this was never much of an issue.

Obviously, Maggie was shot to death. She was not strangled or in any other way close enough to attempt to fend off her attacker. Therefore, the hair never struck me as being really relevant as to who killed her.

jmo

they still have to get all of the court transcripts of the trial. SC Judicial Branch

I dont know if the court reporters did dailies for the trial...pros and defense would refer back to testimony, but I dont know if it was their notes or dailies. his notice of appeal, is just that, a notice. Im wondering if they really intend to follow through with his entire appeal usually an appellate attorney is hired because hey its a huge endeavor and a different knowledge base altogther.

JMO

I disagree this would have taken a week to decide!

From the interviews by the jurors that have gone public, I think deliberations were very much like @ChiaPet cited in their post.

I think the 3 jurors that were uncertain or voted not guilty at the first blind vote did not need to be convinced of AM's guilt but had questions about the evidence and once these questions were answered, quickly voted AM guilty in the next vote.

If there was a single juror that shared their NG opinion with outsiders long before deliberations started, it doesn't follow that the remaining 11 jurors all on the same page after less than 3 hours would need a week to notify Judge Newman they had a hung jury based on the vote of one juror. MOO

I know! ‘I’ve lied all the way up to today, but today I’m not lying’. His credibility was shot, and then add in the “Pau Pau and Mags”, that sealed it.

He was the worst witness for his own personal trial of a lifetime! That has to sting.
Kept yelling wolf for too long and when the wolves did show help didn't. I figured the wolves would come for AM sooner or later and AM was wearing a meat suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks