Found Safe SC - Richard Gonzalez, 27, hiker, separated from group, Oconee State Park, Oconee Co., 3 Aug 2020

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
MOUNTAIN REST, S.C. — Crews are searching for a missing hiker in Oconee State Park.

Richard Gonzalez, 27, was last seen about noon Monday on the Foothills Trail.

He separated from a group on the river between Nicolson Ford and Burrell's Ford.

They said he was wearing a black T-shirt with Gonzalez on it, black basketball shorts and carrying a green backpack.

The group was planning to hike the entire Foothills Trail from Oconee State Park to Table Rock.

Gonzalez is not familiar with the trial and authorities believe he does not have a map.

Please call Oconee Dispatch Center with any information, 864-638-4111 or 864-638-4222.

richard-gonzalez-jpg-1596645785.jpg

Search underway for missing hiker in Oconee State Park

Missing hiker on Foothills Trail sought by Oconee County authorities

Oconee County authorities are looking for a 27-year-old Texas man who got separated from his friends Tuesday while hiking on the Foothills Trail near the Chattooga River.

Garland man missing on hike in South Carolina

[...]

“They had gone for a swim somewhere in the area between Oconee and Table Rock,” said his friend David Weaver. “The two friends had gotten out of the water and he was kind of just gathering his stuff, they went on ahead, and they believe that maybe at that point when he was trying to catch up to them that maybe he went down the wrong area.”

Oconee County's emergency management spokesperson said they believe Gonzalez went missing about 15 miles into his 76-mile hike. They have crews searching the area where he went missing.

Friends are cautiously optimistic because Gonzalez does have the essentials. He packed more than a week's worth of food, and also has a tent, a blanket, extra clothes, a pocket knife and a flashlight.

I'm glad h
Missing hiker on Foothills Trail sought by Oconee County authorities

Oconee County authorities are looking for a 27-year-old Texas man who got separated from his friends Tuesday while hiking on the Foothills Trail near the Chattooga River.

Garland man missing on hike in South Carolina

[...]

“They had gone for a swim somewhere in the area between Oconee and Table Rock,” said his friend David Weaver. “The two friends had gotten out of the water and he was kind of just gathering his stuff, they went on ahead, and they believe that maybe at that point when he was trying to catch up to them that maybe he went down the wrong area.”

Oconee County's emergency management spokesperson said they believe Gonzalez went missing about 15 miles into his 76-mile hike. They have crews searching the area where he went missing.

Friends are cautiously optimistic because Gonzalez does have the essentials. He packed more than a week's worth of food, and also has a tent, a blanket, extra clothes, a pocket knife and a flashlight.
I'm glad he was smart and had some basics. Hopefully he's just slightly off trail and will be found soon.

“I refuse to leave without my son”: Family of missing hiker continues search in Oconee County

“I’ve thought of every bad scenario but we’re still hoping for the best,” said his mother, Eva Gonzalez.

Bryan Timmons is one of the hikers. He says the group was heading to Table Rock State Park. They were a few hours into their second day, with 40 miles to go

“We watched him get out of the river, put on his clothes. He tells us to go on ahead, he’ll catch up. We waited on Richard. We guessed he passed us because we were waiting. But that’s the last time we saw him,” said Bryan Timmons.

5f2c026cdf570.image.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back