SC SC - Ruth Jenkins, 76, seen walking on Hwy 45, has dementia, known to wander, Pineville, Berkeley Co, 16 Jul 2022

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
The Berkeley County Sheriff's Office is seeking the public's assistance in locating a missing woman. Deputies are looking for information to lead to the whereabouts of Ruth Jenkins.

Jenkins was last seen on 7/16 at approximately 2PM. She was last seen walking in the 1800 block of Highway 45 in the Pineville area of Berkeley County. Jenkins does have dementia and is known to wander.

If anyone knows of the whereabouts of Jenkins, you are encouraged to contact the Berkeley County Sheriff's Office.

OAQOI4FBJVBY5HFJTP34QEFSBE.png

BERKELEY COUNTY, S.C. (WCBD) – Volunteers and family members of a woman missing since July 16 met Monday evening to conduct a water search.

Ruth Jenkins (76) was last seen walking along Highway 45 near St. Stephen.

Though it was not uncommon for Jenkins to walk along that route, family members said that she has dementia and needs medication.

Over the past nine days, volunteers have been covering different areas searching for Jenkins.

Her daughter, Sheleane Jenkins, said that the groups were focusing on areas that she knows well.

On Monday, the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, South Carolina Black Activist Coalition, and family members met at the Russellville Boat Landing to search Lake Moultrie.

They plan to continue the search until Jenkins is found.

Anyone with information is asked to contact BCSO at (843) 719-4412.

Sheleane Jenkins, Ruth's daughter, describes her as a sweet, kind and gentle-hearted woman.

"She is really a church-going lady. She was involved in so many churches, including the Baptist Church, Jehovah's Church, Lighthouse Holiness Church; she was very involved," Jenkins said.

An avid volunteer and substitute teacher, Ruth Jenkins is an active member of the community. So, when she disappeared on July 16, the people of Pineville got involved.

"She is one of us, she is a teacher in schools that we went to, and schools that our children came up in. She was a substitute teacher, she was an active member of her church, she was a beautiful member of her community," says Sharia Washington, who is leading the search for Jenkins.

"She was trying to fight it as much as she can. She was trying to remember a lot of important information," her daughter says.

"It is getting a little bit discouraging that it has been so many days, but I am definitely not giving up hope, and we are going to keep pushing forward," Jenkins says.

"If you see a lady who walks with both her hands behind her back, it is possible that's my mama," says Jenkins

Kimberly and Robert say they feel the sheriff’s office is doing the best they can to find her, but welcome any help from the community. They say no effort is too small.

“She is not just a hashtag,” Kimberly said. “She is not just another statistic to us. She is family, she is the matriarch of this family, she is the center of this family.”
‘It’s been heart-wrenching’: Family of missing 76-year-old woman still holding out hope

my heart hurts for her loved ones. I can't imagine the pain of not knowing. If my mom were missing I would lose my ever loving mind. That's my best friend right there.

JUL 17, 2023

BERKELEY COUNTY, S.C. (WCIV) — Keeping the hope alive.

The Pineville community came together on Sunday to remember Ruth Jenkins. The 76-year-old woman went missing in Pineville one year ago, and she still has not been found. Family and friends are still praying for answers.

Those who love Jenkins said she's a lady of kindness and compassion. Though it's been a year since her disappearance, they still have faith that she will be found.

More at Keeping the hope alive: One year later, Ruth Jenkins still missing

Ruth Jenkins, 76, of Pineville, hasn’t been seen or heard from since July 16, 2022.

Ruth’s granddaughter, Lindsey Jenkins and Ruth’s son, Robert Jenkins Jr. long for just one more moment they can spend with her.

“She was always in a good mood. She was always happy. She was always goofy. All the time, she liked to make people laugh, make jokes,” Lindsey said.

“Call it disappearance. I mean there’s nothing. There’s no closure,” Robert said.

It’s the health concern that Robert fears played a major role in his mother’s disappearance. Investigators say Ruth was walking near the 1800 block of Highway 45 when she vanished.

“They did an assessment earlier that week on her, just like a mental health kind of assessment. And that’s when we kind of determined that she had dementia,” Robert said.

Earlier that week, Robert and his wife had come from their home in San Antonio, Texas to visit Ruth in the Lowcountry.

“She left her knee brace at home. So, it was a little bit challenging for her to walk. So that particular day we were actually holding hands. I held her hand like the whole day, you know helping her around. So, thinking back on that, that’s like a nice memory,” Robert said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back