SC - Shawn, 4, & Triniti Campbell, 1, die in hot car, Hanahan, 29 July 2007

I would like to express my appreciation for those that express their feelings without putting other's opinions down. This is a very serious and sad situation that creates some passionate feelings for and against mom, and I think everyone has a right to "feel" however they feel, without ridicule. Just my opinion.

I would like to express my appreciation for those that express their feelings without putting other's opinions down. This is a very serious and sad situation that creates some passionate feelings for and against mom, and I think everyone has a right to "feel" however they feel, without ridicule. Just my opinion.

amen zanko, very well said;)

Amen, Zanko!

Usually I would be the first to say how horrible this woman was but to tell you the truth I got to thinkin about what I would do? I dont have many people to watch my kids if I need it so I do feel really sorry for all involved. Single parenting is veryyy hard and you have to make some tough decisions. I dont understand her leaving the children in the car and thinking that they would be okay, only she knows that but obviously she wasnt in her right mind because look at what she did afterwards.

Honestly, this case horrifies me and saddens me at the same time. It makes me sad for these poor children that were so beautiful and look to have been loved and it does also sadden me for their mother as well. Although I only have a stepdaughter (hopefully, someday soon I'll have my own children!) I have to wonder about what led her to make this terribly poor choice. It seems like it was made out of pure desparation. It doesn't seem like something she would have normally done. On all accounts, it seems that she was a good mom.
I don't know her reasons for not calling the aunt, or perhaps asking the neighbor again and explaining how crucial her situation was? If I was in that situation and my sitter cancelled, I would have called the sitter back and explained what kind of jam I was in and added an incentive to see if they would change their mind.
I would think that she would not only know that leaving her kids in a car was not only dangerous because of temperatures but because they could have easily been kidnapped!
Any way that I look at it though, I still can't help but feel some sympathy for this mother and only out of frustration because I feel that too many people are out there trying to do the right thing and are forced to make decisions that they shouldn't be forced into.
For instance, perhaps the Head Start program (or something similar that includes day/nightcare ) should be expanded to allow for different shifts?

My heart broke when I seen this on NG. It made me so mad....& got me to thinking.I've written letters all over my state 'Wisconsin".

I am shocked we haven't heard of more things like this happening. We have 'NO WELFARE" thanks to Gov Tommy Thompson. (Who by the way has his bid in for presidency)........we can only hope he doesn't get any further then he is. Because we'll be hearing things like this on a daily basis once he stops welfare thru out the US.)

I know many single women who struggle daily to support there kids. They can't get ANY help! Food stamps are not given to feed the kids.

Wisconsin turns a blind eye / except they do provide health care for the kids.

Wis also does 'VERY LITTLE' to see 'deadbeats' pay support. I know this for a fact my daughter is owed $40 grand & they do nothing. She has found her deadbeat & turned him in.To date no arrest has been made, they don't care.

Sametta Heyward's attorney is pushing for more information from the place where she worked; the place were, police say, she left her children in the car that ultimately led to their deaths.

Uh-Oh!!!!! Workplace Subpoenaed

Police have now established a timeline.

this tragedy began Sunday afternoon at around 3 O'CLOCK. And police speculate 4 yr old SHAWN CAMBELL JR. and 1year old TRINITI CAMPBELL had been dead for as long as 20 HOURS before police were called..

http://www.abcnews4.com/news/stories/0807/444155.html

Thank you kind souls who realize how hard it may have been for the mother. I once was in a position where I had to work with 4 kids to feed, house, and clothe without any support from their father. No, I didn't leave them in the car, but I did have to leave them with questionable baby sitters. It was that or STARVE on the street. It's about time that mothers got some understanding for the things they face.

Yes, the outcome was bad, but maybe society needs to lend more of a helping hand to American taxpayers - like this working mother, and less to illegals parading through our streets demanding what rightfully belongs to American citizens.

I cry for these children, but I also cry for the mother.

I don't see anyone lending a hand to illegals. Where I live in Illinois there is a crisis nursery, if you don't have a babysitter you can bring your children there, we have public aid, link cards to pay for food, Hud to pay for rent, electric and gas that will pay for you all winter, state will pay for child care if you are low income, which I am sure she was. There is a lot of help out there, people just need to use it. I do not believe this mother was stupid enough to think her children wound not die if left in a car that was that hot. I think she had a mental break. I do feel sorry for her but I think there is help out there. In my town we see people paying with the Link cards for groceries for there kids and then getting in a Cadillac Escalade. How is that fair to tax payers? I can't afford a Cadillac because I have to feed my kids.

I don't see anyone lending a hand to illegals. Where I live in Illinois there is a crisis nursery, if you don't have a babysitter you can bring your children there, we have public aid, link cards to pay for food, Hud to pay for rent, electric and gas that will pay for you all winter, state will pay for child care if you are low income, which I am sure she was. There is a lot of help out there, people just need to use it. I do not believe this mother was stupid enough to think her children wound not die if left in a car that was that hot. I think she had a mental break. I do feel sorry for her but I think there is help out there. In my town we see people paying with the Link cards for groceries for there kids and then getting in a Cadillac Escalade. How is that fair to tax payers? I can't afford a Cadillac because I have to feed my kids.

As a poster just stated...there is no help for single mothers in the state this woman lives in....nothing. And I don't believe for a minute that every single mother who does get help uses the system. Yes, some do but it is unfair to lump all single struggling mothers together. Most of the mothers who receive help use it in the right way and most can't even afford a vehicle and certainly not a cadillac. Those that abuse the system should be found out because it is unfair to those who are struggling to survive and ues the system to help them get by. Believe me, no one that gets welfare help receives enough to live on. They are lucky if they get enough to even get by.
Yes, some single parents get Quest cards for money or food or both. Some can get babysitting help in some states. This woman was receiving nothing. She lived on what she made at her work. If she had been receiving the help that is given in some states including the state I live in she wouldn't have been living in a dinky motel with probably a tiny kitchenett and a bedroom combined. HUD would have helped with an apt or house and she would have been getting a lot of other help from resources available. Her state gives nothing and the single parents are left to sink or swim all on their own.

That's really sad. I'm sorry she was so desperate. I'm sorry that her kids suffered. That last article sounds like she was going to do herself in. She must have been so distraught. She certainly did the wrong thing leaving the kids in the car but what a tough position she was in.

It is my understanding that the states that give out aid, must now follow the Federal Guidelines for Temporary Aid to Needy Families, aka Welfare. This is the case in my state. This means that there are an extremely few exceptions to the "standard" requirements for receiving any aid. Case workers do not have much flexibility. When applying for aid, there is a 45 day wait for TANF. If someone is working, even part-time, they are most likely not eligible for any TANF. If someone loses their job, depending on the reason, they may receive TANF in 45 days or they may be deemed ineligible due to contributing to the loss of their job. The economy is poor and there are not a lot of employment opportunities. So it can take someone weeks, if not months to find another job. The list for HUD "Section 8" housing is closed. For those already on the list, the wait is usually a minimum of 4 years long. Public Housing and other "affordable housing" options are a minimum wait of 2 years, on average. If someone cannot pay their rent and is evicted, there is a 4-6 week wait to get into "emergency shelter". There are religious based homeless shelters that can get people in quicker, but mothers with children cannot bring in boys over 10 years old. So if the mom has an 11 year old son, she will not be able to get shelter with her entire family. If a single mom with two children does receive TANF, it IS NOT enough to pay rent even at the affordable housing complexes, unless the rent is based on income (a lot of affordable housing complexes have a fixed rent amount that is lower than the rent for unsubsidized housing, but is not really all that affordable IMO). The state does provide childcare cost assistance if one is income eligible, but often there is a fairly large co-payment.
When someone (especially low-income) loses their job and income stops or is dramatically reduced, they can easily get behind on rent. A landlord does not have to accept anything less than the full amount. With a non-payment of rent, anyone can get a 72-hour notice. If someone doesn't leave their rental and challenges the 72-hour notice, they will lose in court and then they will have an FED (Forced Eviction) on their record, which makes it nearly impossible to find a landlord willing to rent to them in the future.
With all this said, from what I am reading, my state has a lot more resources than this mother's state. As someone said earlier, looking at what she did afterwards, I would guess she had mental health issues prior to the children's death. Without time to consider viable options combined with mental health issues, I can see how this tragedy could happen.

As a poster just stated...there is no help for single mothers in the state this woman lives in....nothing. . Her state gives nothing and the single parents are left to sink or swim all on their own.

I have to respectfully disagree. In fact you get much more aid if you are single, if a man/husband lives in the home you get less government support (because there could technically be two incomes). I live 100 miles from where this happened and let me tell you, SC gives lots of assistance to those in need. They get free food, free medical, free prescriptions, free school, free school breakfasts and lunches (even offered to the low income kids throughout the summer), rental assistance, housing assistance, free transportation to anywhere they need/want to go (grocery store, drs office, etc...), free training so they can improve their work skills, free adult education, and they can get all this and they can possess one vehicle worth any amount (used to be a limit on the amount the vehicle could be worth).
Free babysitting I'm am not aware of, but in the rural area I live in most have a network of family and friends to help them out with babysitting.

I feel sorry for this woman, I really do. I don't think she realized how hot it could get in that car. I'm sure she was probably stressed, it is stressful raising kids alone and working. Why she didn't take the children to the ER when they were obviously in distress, I'm not sure unless she was afraid of losing her job over it and thought that maybe by bathing them and cooling them down she could revive them. She made a mistake and I feel for her, but please don't believe that SC doesn't offer a wealth of services to the needy, we rank right up there with other southern states in our plethora of government programs. Also, many (if not most) churches in our state help those in need. Many churches run daycare programs, usually at a very small rate and I doubt very seriously one would have turned her down in such a situation. They would have helped her for free.

Mom Taking Stand in Defense in Homicide Trial
posted 03/26/10 10:56 am producer: Raymond Rivera

Charleston, SC - A South Carolina mother accused of letting her children die in a sweltering car then stuffing their bodies in trash bags takes the stand in her own defense at her trial.

Attorneys say 30-year-old Sametta Heyward will testify on Friday in a Charleston courtroom.

She's charged with two counts of homicide by child abuse and two counts of unlawful conduct toward a child in the deaths of her 4-year-old son and her daughter, who was almost 2.

more here

http://www.wciv.com/news/stories/0310/719710.html

grrrrrrr i hate it when the most immportant testimony is from a jailhouse snitch

In the TRUNK?? Jesus. No wonder the 4 year old wasn't able to get them out.

GUILTY: Mother Found Guilty of Children's Deaths

Charleston, SC - A mother has been found guilty of letting her children die in a sweltering car. Semetta Heyward, 30, was found guilty of two counts of homicide by child abuse in the 2007 deaths of her 4-year-old son and her daughter, who was almost two.

Heyward was sentenced to nine years and five years probation and counseling.

Heyward was found guilty after testifying on Friday that she would never have intentionally hurt her children. Heyward said in a tearful hour of testimony that she didn't want to lose her job and felt she only had two options the day her children died. She could either take them to work with her at a group home for the disabled or she could leave them home alone.

http://www.wciv.com/news/stories/0310/719710.html

I was reading the tweets from a reporter who was in the court room today.....Heyward was asked by the SA if she ever learned never to leave someone in a hot car & the momster says she never knew that even in medical training....Heyward also testified that she was adopted & her family had left her home alone & also had put her in a car trunk-- and the reporter said her "family reacted".

He also reported that the little boy was taken away from her before because of poor living conditions & that it was so bad, his diaper had to be cut off.

There's lots more info if ya wanna read his tweets from today:

http://twitter.com/CollinsNews

Bless their hearts -- those little kids never had a chance. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member