SC - Stephen Smith, 19, homicide, Hampton Co, 9 Jul 2015 *new death investigation 2023*

ABC4 News June 24, 2021 Video and transcript:

Documents show differing opinions on the manner of Stephen Smith's untimely death in 2015

"CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) — South Carolina Department of Public Safety documents regarding Stephen Smith's untimely death in 2015 show a flurry of back and forth in the investigation about the manner of his death.

"They said he was shot in the head. Then it turned out it was a hit and run. Then he was beat up, so the story just kept changing over and over," said Sandra Smith, Stephen's mother, this week.

Stephen Smith, a teenager from Hampton County, was found dead in the middle of road in 2015. Authorities at the time said he died after being hit by a car, but no suspect was ever found. State Law Enforcement Division stated Tuesday they are investigating Smith's death after information was found while investigating the double homicide of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh.

Related Content: Sandy Smith says 'no justice' for her son amid new SLED investigation

According to documents obtained this week, Highway Patrol found Smith's body on Sandy Run Road. What troopers didn't see was any evidence to show Smith had been hit by a car. The documents reveal no vehicle debris and no skid marks at the scene.

An initial report only pointed to blunt force trauma to the head.

His car was found three miles away from his body, on Bamburg Highway. Highway Patrol found the car's key in Smith's pocket, further adding to the mystery for Smith's family.

"I'd be happy to see all this laid out on the table. Find out who did, why they did it," said Stephanie Smith, Stephen's twin.

After Smith's preliminary autopsy suggested Smith was hit by a vehicle, Highway Patrol searched for more information.

3e8f6a15-0081-4b9c-96df-a805592bec1a-medium16x9_StephenSmithGraduationPhotos.jpg

Documents show differing opinions on the manner of Stephen Smith's untimely death. (WCIV)

An MUSC pathologist stated the victim was possibly struck by a motor vehicle mirror, which was the cause of death.

Highway Patrol said there was no evidence to support that conclusion. Almost a month after this conversation between the MUSC pathologist and an investigator at Highway Patrol, the investigator spoke to the coroner about the final autopsy.

In the report, the investigator said, "(the coroner) faxed me a copy of the report and told me that he does not agree with the pathologist stating the victim was struck by a motor vehicle."

Related Content: Stephen Smith's family remembers him 6 years after his death

"The coroner stated he had made contact with an MUSC pathologist who said she would be willing to change her report to read however the coroner wanted it," the documents also said.

Investigators also looked at the microscopic evidence found on Smith's clothes. That evidence was blue paint chips, but Highway Patrol could not link it to a vehicle or an object.

Now, a SLED office in the Midlands is investigating Stephen Smith's death."

ABC4 News June 24, 2021 Video and transcript:

Documents show differing opinions on the manner of Stephen Smith's untimely death in 2015

"CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) — South Carolina Department of Public Safety documents regarding Stephen Smith's untimely death in 2015 show a flurry of back and forth in the investigation about the manner of his death.

"They said he was shot in the head. Then it turned out it was a hit and run. Then he was beat up, so the story just kept changing over and over," said Sandra Smith, Stephen's mother, this week.

Stephen Smith, a teenager from Hampton County, was found dead in the middle of road in 2015. Authorities at the time said he died after being hit by a car, but no suspect was ever found. State Law Enforcement Division stated Tuesday they are investigating Smith's death after information was found while investigating the double homicide of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh.

Related Content: Sandy Smith says 'no justice' for her son amid new SLED investigation

According to documents obtained this week, Highway Patrol found Smith's body on Sandy Run Road. What troopers didn't see was any evidence to show Smith had been hit by a car. The documents reveal no vehicle debris and no skid marks at the scene.

An initial report only pointed to blunt force trauma to the head.

His car was found three miles away from his body, on Bamburg Highway. Highway Patrol found the car's key in Smith's pocket, further adding to the mystery for Smith's family.

"I'd be happy to see all this laid out on the table. Find out who did, why they did it," said Stephanie Smith, Stephen's twin.

After Smith's preliminary autopsy suggested Smith was hit by a vehicle, Highway Patrol searched for more information.

3e8f6a15-0081-4b9c-96df-a805592bec1a-medium16x9_StephenSmithGraduationPhotos.jpg

Documents show differing opinions on the manner of Stephen Smith's untimely death. (WCIV)

An MUSC pathologist stated the victim was possibly struck by a motor vehicle mirror, which was the cause of death.

Highway Patrol said there was no evidence to support that conclusion. Almost a month after this conversation between the MUSC pathologist and an investigator at Highway Patrol, the investigator spoke to the coroner about the final autopsy.

In the report, the investigator said, "(the coroner) faxed me a copy of the report and told me that he does not agree with the pathologist stating the victim was struck by a motor vehicle."

Related Content: Stephen Smith's family remembers him 6 years after his death

"The coroner stated he had made contact with an MUSC pathologist who said she would be willing to change her report to read however the coroner wanted it," the documents also said.

Investigators also looked at the microscopic evidence found on Smith's clothes. That evidence was blue paint chips, but Highway Patrol could not link it to a vehicle or an object.

Now, a SLED office in the Midlands is investigating Stephen Smith's death."
I feel so bad for SS's Mom. She has been dealing with this for years, and now only <more than likely> being investigated again because of the Murdaugh murders.

Justice will shine it's light on all the darkness surrounding this case IMO.

#Justice4Stephen

From the link.

In another curious inclusion, an officer noted a tip called in on December 18 by a man claiming that his stepson had named a local guy as the one who 'struck and killed Stephen Smith.'

The tipster then failed to return any calls and when finally reached, 'stated that the reason that he was passing this information on was because Randy Murdaugh told him to call.'

Randy is Paul and Buster's uncle, patriarch Alex Murdaugh's brother.

From the DM article..

But when the autopsy was conducted at MUSC Health University Medical Center, the manner of death was listed not as homicide but 'undetermined,' and it was ruled a hit and run.

Clearly perplexed, the MAIT officer, who had attended the scene and spoken with Hampton County Coroner Dr. Washington, took the step of calling the doctor who conducted the autopsy and recorded being told: 'It was not a gunshot wound and no bullet or fragments were found during the x-ray and that in her opinion that since the body was found in the roadway, she could only theorize that it had to be a motor vehicle that caused the death.'

The officer asked the doctor why she was ruling it as a motor vehicle accident and wrote: 'She told me it was not her job to figure that out, it was mine.'

The case was investigated as a hit and run with cops pursuing a variety of lines of investigation and numerous tips.

@@@@

Interesting. I wonder who the woman is…who did the autopsy.

From the DM article..

But when the autopsy was conducted at MUSC Health University Medical Center, the manner of death was listed not as homicide but 'undetermined,' and it was ruled a hit and run.

Clearly perplexed, the MAIT officer, who had attended the scene and spoken with Hampton County Coroner Dr. Washington, took the step of calling the doctor who conducted the autopsy and recorded being told: 'It was not a gunshot wound and no bullet or fragments were found during the x-ray and that in her opinion that since the body was found in the roadway, she could only theorize that it had to be a motor vehicle that caused the death.'

The officer asked the doctor why she was ruling it as a motor vehicle accident and wrote: 'She told me it was not her job to figure that out, it was mine.'

The case was investigated as a hit and run with cops pursuing a variety of lines of investigation and numerous tips.

@@@@

Interesting. I wonder who the woman is…who did the autopsy.
I just hope we hear about an exhumation in the near future.

Excerpt from Augusta Chronicle (June 23, 2021)

SLED opens own investigation into death of Stephen Smith

"In response to queries from multiple media outlets, on Tuesday, June 23, S.C. Law Enforcement Division spokesperson Tommy Crosby released the following statement: "SLED has opened an investigation into the death of Stephen Smith based upon information gathered during the course of the double murder investigation of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh."

"Crosby added that SLED is not furthering or reopening an investigation by another law enforcement agency, but its own investigation with "a fresh set of eyes," adding that this investigation will include evidence and statements gathered during previous investigations."

I hope that RM doesn’t ask some random person to have their step son call the tip line and confess.
LMAO
You took the words right out of my mouth.
I just was going to post the same thing.
Hahaha

I do hope Stephen Smith's family finally gets justice though.
I felt bad for his mom when Investigators told her they were looking back through Stephens case to see if anything or any Smith family might be involved in the murders of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh.
I agree with Mrs. Smith-- that was a slap in the face.

I am no defense atty for the Murdaugh family. I’m just trying to take my personal animosity and emotions out of the situation and look at what we really factually know. My suspicions…which aren’t facts…are very similar to what yours are.

Unfortunately, the coroner in the Smith case ruled that it was an accident. So there is, at present, an official dispute to the charge of murder. That’s what stands at the moment.

I’m thrilled that the case is reopened and that there is a grand jury investigating obstruction. But, for the moment, the coroner’s ruling stands…so legally, it cannot be called murder.

And, I agree, PM was reportedly recklessly driving the boat. Testimony about his behavior is appalling. Did he call his Dad before they called for help…not proven.

My post was just to point out what we can fairly say we KNOW…from the small amount of factual information we have. Like you, I have read reams of rumors and I grit my teeth and sit on my hands. We can’t discuss that here because WS requires a higher standard.

So we wait….

And I just heard on a SC local news station that "no cause of death" was listed for Stephen. Nor was there a "manner of death," either.

I am now really uncertain where various news outlets are getting their information.

According to this:

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252313493.html

the Highway Patrol officer who responded immediately thought it was a homicide (bullet wound to the head, as well as a defensive wound on one hand/arm). Two officers viewed these wounds together. One was so concerned when the coroner said cause of death was unknown that he called that person and was told he needed to figure it out himself.

And I just heard on a SC local news station that "no cause of death" was listed for Stephen. Nor was there a "manner of death," either.

I am now really uncertain where various news outlets are getting their information.

I can't say that I "rely" on the DM for 100% facts, but they do have copies of the SLED reports from Stephen's death and it appears there was a huge conflict between the professionals as to his cause of death. It's quite chilling to read. I feel so badly for Stephen's family. They deserve so much better.

But I keep thinking…if there was obstruction of justice in either of these cases…it means the family had help. Other people who assisted them, would be in real legal jeopardy.
YEP !!
And I am sure there have probably been a few "FIRED" or let go around those times also.
JMO

Cops investigating Stephen Smith's death questioned his ties to Buster Murdaugh, docs reveal | Daily Mail Online

Just wow. According to this article a different (Murdaugh) family member may have some information about the death of Stephen Smith. This is just crazy.

Thank you @SeattleStew for this article!

I clicked over to where the photo of the sketch of the scene is. Then I read number "7" on the reports section (where the photos+15 button is) This report states that a person called to submit a name for the police to investigate. This person told the officer who told him to phone the police and submit a name. Very strange!

Lots of information and details in this news article.

Cops investigating Stephen Smith's death questioned his ties to Buster Murdaugh, docs reveal | Daily Mail Online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back