SC - Stephen Smith, 19, homicide, Hampton Co, 9 Jul 2015 *new death investigation 2023*

Just getting up to speed on this thread for Stephen.

So much has been said about the Murdaughs having the means to offer a substantial award for leads that result in a conviction for the murders of PM and his mother MM. And how the Smiths don’t so in combination with all the LE/ ME double talk about what really happened to SS, his case sits cold.

Wouldn't it be nice if some benevolent person or group put up money for tips on his case?

“We didn’t know who did it but we just heard that Buster did it,” said one man to investigators. “Everybody knows who Buster is and like his family and all that so it’s kind of shocking,” he added.

Details in newly released case file suggest connection between unsolved 2015 homicide and Murdaugh family | WCBD News 2

Then, the Murdaugh name came up again — this time in connection to a different alleged suspect.

According to notes, investigators received a tip purporting to know the identity of Smith’s killer. When investigators spoke to the tipster, he confessed that “the reason he was passing this information on was because Randy Murdaugh [Buster’s uncle] told him to call.”

Jmo
All the Murdaugh’s knew what happened.

I know when I was young when I went out to play I had to take younger brother with me, there were lot’s of kids then as I am sure there are now that had to take younger sibling along.
And what ever happened on these outdoor adventures little brother was there to witness, and sometimes told.

JULY 23, 2021 09:46 AM,
UPDATED 1 HOUR 1 MINUTE AGO

Police hit roadblocks, chased rumors linking Murdaughs in Stephen Smith death investigation

The records show S.C. Highway Patrol investigators circled the Murdaugh family, interviewing people with third-hand information, but never actually asked family members about their alleged involvement.

The files show that a Murdaugh family member, a personal injury lawyer, called the Smith family on the day Stephen Smith was found dead, offering to represent them at no charge. The family told police they thought the offer was “weird.”

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252957108.html

JULY 23, 2021 09:46 AM,
UPDATED 1 HOUR 1 MINUTE AGO

Police hit roadblocks, chased rumors linking Murdaughs in Stephen Smith death investigation

The records show S.C. Highway Patrol investigators circled the Murdaugh family, interviewing people with third-hand information, but never actually asked family members about their alleged involvement.

The files show that a Murdaugh family member, a personal injury lawyer, called the Smith family on the day Stephen Smith was found dead, offering to represent them at no charge. The family told police they thought the offer was “weird.”

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252957108.html
Yes weird.

Has it been verified that Stephen ran out of gas? I know his gas cap was hanging off, but that could have been staged. Also Stephen's toxicology was negative for drugs/alcohol so I find it very weird that he would leave his wallet in his car. So many hinky things, IMO.

Now we know why LE decided to investigate the possible links to the death of Stephen Smith.

Boat crash passenger suggests Murdaugh family may have been involved in deadly 2015 hit-and-run | Daily Mail Online

"A deposition from someone on board a boat driven by legal dynasty scion Paul Murdaugh when it crashed in 2019 suggests the prominent family have may been involved in the 2015 death of a South Carolina teen.

Connor Cook, who was a passenger during the boat crash that killed Mallory Beach, recorded a deposition in January 2020 that was unveiled in court last week.

According to the court document, Cook admitted to lying about events that took place the night of the crash because he feared the family would seek retaliation, citing unsubstantiated rumors that the Murdaughs had gotten away with crimes in the past.

'Anything they get in, they get out of. I've always been told that,' Cook said in the deposition.

'One was said that Paul [Murdaugh] had pushed his housemate down the stairs, and she died, and nothing ever happened. And another one, there was something that Paul was supposedly involved with a guy, got found beat up in the middle of the road, that they got out of.'

Cook's latter comment is believed to suggest that the family dynasty was involved in the July 2015 death 19-year-old Stephen Smith, Fox News reported."

Now we know why LE decided to investigate the possible links to the death of Stephen Smith.

Boat crash passenger suggests Murdaugh family may have been involved in deadly 2015 hit-and-run | Daily Mail Online

"A deposition from someone on board a boat driven by legal dynasty scion Paul Murdaugh when it crashed in 2019 suggests the prominent family have may been involved in the 2015 death of a South Carolina teen.

Connor Cook, who was a passenger during the boat crash that killed Mallory Beach, recorded a deposition in January 2020 that was unveiled in court last week.

According to the court document, Cook admitted to lying about events that took place the night of the crash because he feared the family would seek retaliation, citing unsubstantiated rumors that the Murdaughs had gotten away with crimes in the past.

'Anything they get in, they get out of. I've always been told that,' Cook said in the deposition.

'One was said that Paul [Murdaugh] had pushed his housemate down the stairs, and she died, and nothing ever happened. And another one, there was something that Paul was supposedly involved with a guy, got found beat up in the middle of the road, that they got out of.'

Cook's latter comment is believed to suggest that the family dynasty was involved in the July 2015 death 19-year-old Stephen Smith, Fox News reported."
It has been told Mrs Satterfield died from a fall. I don't think it was mentioned she fell down stairs. The injuries on Stephen did indicate knuckle abrasions and bruising, perhaps indicating he at least got a punch in. You would think an injury like that could be swabbed for DNA at autopsy and checked for road debris from a fall. I hope Connor is taking steps to remain safe.

Murdaugh: Stranger begins plan to give Stephen Smith a headstone (wjcl.com)

As word about this case and Stephen’s story spread, a stranger came to visit Stephen's grave in the Gooding Cemetery and found Stephen had no headstone.

That’s when she contacted his mother Sandy and started a fundraiser through Steedley Monument Works to get Stephen a headstone.

“It means a lot. It means the world that there’s still loving and caring people in this world, and I’m grateful for all that they’re doing," Sandy said.

Sandy and Stephen’s twin sister are now working together to come up with a design for it.

“He loved the beach. So we’re going to do like a beach scene and then have his picture on there," Sandy said.

She knows Stephen would be proud.

“I’m going to tell you what he would say. ‘You would do that for me?’” Sandy added.

There are some real problems here.

Ms. Smith must be correct that Stephen was not the victim of a hit and run. Unless that occurred somewhere other than where his body was found.

My statements below follow from my limited viewing of the scene evidence available through the press and deduction.

A side issue is that his vehicle had at least 3 different searches, reported by the press. One showing his wallet in the trunk of the car with the trunk a few inches open. Another at the scene, car trunk closed. Another at the impound which may also be the one showing his wallet in the passenger seat, or there is a 4th. The state of vehicle and location of his wallet changes during these scene photos, the position of trunk and also location of his wallet in the car. At least the impound and scene recordings were identified by law enforcement (LE).

Understanding that this crime seems to unavoidably point to either or both of some level of either incomplete or unreported testimony by current witnesses &/or staging and manipulation of the scene, sometime prior to its discovery.

Most importantly though is his body at the scene. Unfortunately, and I'm sorry Ms. Smith, there was no splatter. No evidence from any vehicle interaction with the body at the location it was discovered in the middle of the road. This is unavoidably conclusive.

With none, zero, body matter or any other debris at the road scene, it is impossible he was ever struck by any vehicle at the location his body was found. Nor did he take himself to that location, given his bodies condition. (again, apologies) Simply, not physically possible.

Which leads us to some significant problems and some possibly overlooked issues. Issues I struggle to understand how all of the preceeding LE did not at some point, question, even if they were limited in their ability to act on. In fact I suspect some may have.

One of the most important is that the person reporting the discovery of the body must be or have been questioned as to their extra information about additional connections or information they have to case, to the extent they have already not been.

Or, in their innocent expectation, we accept the statement of discover as full and then, that they were the first vehicle to come upon this staged body.

If we accept this conclusion, then the only remaining and immediate conclusion which must follow from this, is that the "discoverer" was the first vehicle to come up on the body. Unlikely and also possible.

Were they not the first vehicle to come by, however, then again, there would be body splatter. Which there wasn't and so this did not occur.

So either, the "discoverer" was a) the first and only vehicle to come upon this staged scene or b) they have additional information to provide.

Or

If we accept the premise a) first and only vehicle to come upon the staged body and b) no additional information needed to explain this possible coincidence, we are left with

Since they were the first and only person to come upon the staging site, they must have done so "relatively" soon after the staging occurred. Which is significant of it's own, if true. It says some things about time and nature of the staging, and possible proximity by the stager(s). Since no other vehicles must have had time to arrive after they body was placed there. They would have had to place the body there, just prior to discoverer arriving.

Otherwise, this body must have received damage from primary or other vehicles, which would have been present at the scene. There was none at all.

Thus,
a) discoverer may have yet unknown or unreleased information. Even if known to others.
b) if they do not, they must be the first vehicle to "discover" body and that provides information about the timing and nature of the staging, and proximity of the stagers.

But
Stephen's body was not struck by a vehicle after he was lain in that road, ever, in any scenario. The scene evidence contradicts this possibility.
Which leads us to new information and avenues that still need investigation or are yet unreported by parties connected.
Specifically regarding actions of the stager (s), and also time and location of death, i.e. actual scene of death and relative to stager(s) and other witness actions at same times. Which may no longer be possible to obtain and, in the case of time of death, we may not have capability for.

Significant remaining questions must then include:
Where, when, and how did he actually die.
Who were the participants in staging the scene for LE to discover, and
when and how did they accomplish these actions, especially relative to discoverer's report which fixes the time of the road/staged scene.

Setting aside the tragic personal consequence to Mr. Smith and his family,
This case must be seen as significant to LE because it highlights specific current technical limitations in time of death calculation methodology or it will provide an opportunity to demonstrate or advance those same capabilities. For instance a) what can the time of death evidence collected at road scene tell us, even when corrected and b) what, then, is same evidence still able to establish about his actual time of death and looking forward c) how do we establish ToD using old evidence and new information and advance ability to do same.

This is my first post here. Please take it easy if I messed something up. But I wanted to get this out.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back