SC SC - Stephen Smith, 19, Hampton Co, 9 Jul 2015

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by evilwise, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Warwick7

Warwick7 Well-Known Member

2. MajorHoople

MajorHoople Well-Known Member

scmom, Error505, Shadow@light and 3 others like this.
  3. LetsSolvIt

LetsSolvIt Well-Known Member

Just getting up to speed on this thread for Stephen.

So much has been said about the Murdaughs having the means to offer a substantial award for leads that result in a conviction for the murders of PM and his mother MM. And how the Smiths don’t so in combination with all the LE/ ME double talk about what really happened to SS, his case sits cold.

Wouldn't it be nice if some benevolent person or group put up money for tips on his case?

4. Elley Mae

Elley Mae Well-Known Member

“We didn’t know who did it but we just heard that Buster did it,” said one man to investigators. “Everybody knows who Buster is and like his family and all that so it’s kind of shocking,” he added.

Details in newly released case file suggest connection between unsolved 2015 homicide and Murdaugh family | WCBD News 2

Then, the Murdaugh name came up again — this time in connection to a different alleged suspect.

According to notes, investigators received a tip purporting to know the identity of Smith’s killer. When investigators spoke to the tipster, he confessed that “the reason he was passing this information on was because Randy Murdaugh [Buster’s uncle] told him to call.”

Jmo
    All the Murdaugh’s knew what happened.

I know when I was young when I went out to play I had to take younger brother with me, there were lot’s of kids then as I am sure there are now that had to take younger sibling along.
    And what ever happened on these outdoor adventures little brother was there to witness, and sometimes told.

5. swedeheart

swedeheart Well-Known Member

6. LetsSolvIt

This is tragic beyond belief. There is no way that AM was behind this murder. JMO. That poor man.

7. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

JULY 23, 2021 09:46 AM,
    UPDATED 1 HOUR 1 MINUTE AGO

Police hit roadblocks, chased rumors linking Murdaughs in Stephen Smith death investigation

The records show S.C. Highway Patrol investigators circled the Murdaugh family, interviewing people with third-hand information, but never actually asked family members about their alleged involvement.

The files show that a Murdaugh family member, a personal injury lawyer, called the Smith family on the day Stephen Smith was found dead, offering to represent them at no charge. The family told police they thought the offer was “weird.”

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252957108.html

8. Warwick7

Warwick7 Well-Known Member

Yes weird.

9. LetsSolvIt

Not sure about this now! Yes, it's tragic but have decided not to eliminate anyone as a suspect. JMO.

10. Ray_of_hope

Ray_of_hope Verified registered nurse

11. Ray_of_hope

Has it been verified that Stephen ran out of gas? I know his gas cap was hanging off, but that could have been staged. Also Stephen's toxicology was negative for drugs/alcohol so I find it very weird that he would leave his wallet in his car. So many hinky things, IMO.

12. Ray_of_hope

Maybe they would have been hiring a deep sea charter? A lot more reasonable than having to maintain and pay dock fees, etc.

13. scmom

scmom Well-Known Member

Shadow@light, Flicka1 and MajorHoople like this.
  14. MajorHoople

MajorHoople Well-Known Member

Now we know why LE decided to investigate the possible links to the death of Stephen Smith.

Boat crash passenger suggests Murdaugh family may have been involved in deadly 2015 hit-and-run | Daily Mail Online

"A deposition from someone on board a boat driven by legal dynasty scion Paul Murdaugh when it crashed in 2019 suggests the prominent family have may been involved in the 2015 death of a South Carolina teen.

Connor Cook, who was a passenger during the boat crash that killed Mallory Beach, recorded a deposition in January 2020 that was unveiled in court last week.

According to the court document, Cook admitted to lying about events that took place the night of the crash because he feared the family would seek retaliation, citing unsubstantiated rumors that the Murdaughs had gotten away with crimes in the past.

'Anything they get in, they get out of. I've always been told that,' Cook said in the deposition.

'One was said that Paul [Murdaugh] had pushed his housemate down the stairs, and she died, and nothing ever happened. And another one, there was something that Paul was supposedly involved with a guy, got found beat up in the middle of the road, that they got out of.'

Cook's latter comment is believed to suggest that the family dynasty was involved in the July 2015 death 19-year-old Stephen Smith, Fox News reported."

15. Crimescenetape

Crimescenetape Well-Known Member

It has been told Mrs Satterfield died from a fall. I don't think it was mentioned she fell down stairs. The injuries on Stephen did indicate knuckle abrasions and bruising, perhaps indicating he at least got a punch in. You would think an injury like that could be swabbed for DNA at autopsy and checked for road debris from a fall. I hope Connor is taking steps to remain safe.

16. Crimescenetape

Crimescenetape Well-Known Member

misgrn, Flicka1, Sunshine95 and 3 others like this.
  17. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

upload_2021-9-15_12-40-33.jpeg

@MandyMatney

Statement from Stephen Smith’s mother Sandy Smith confirming that her family is NOT at all related to the man who was arrested in the shooting of Alex Murdaugh.

18. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

Murdaugh: Stranger begins plan to give Stephen Smith a headstone (wjcl.com)

As word about this case and Stephen’s story spread, a stranger came to visit Stephen's grave in the Gooding Cemetery and found Stephen had no headstone.

That’s when she contacted his mother Sandy and started a fundraiser through Steedley Monument Works to get Stephen a headstone.

“It means a lot. It means the world that there’s still loving and caring people in this world, and I’m grateful for all that they’re doing," Sandy said.

Sandy and Stephen’s twin sister are now working together to come up with a design for it.

“He loved the beach. So we’re going to do like a beach scene and then have his picture on there," Sandy said.

She knows Stephen would be proud.

“I’m going to tell you what he would say. ‘You would do that for me?’” Sandy added.

19. Missing Susan

Missing Susan Active Member

Now that the murduck house of cards is collapsing, what is keeping the mother from spelling out what she thinks happened?

The vast majority of the "local speculation" has been borne out as accurate since we started with a missing persons thread for mallory beach.

MajorHoople, Flicka1 and Shadow@light like this.