GUILTY SC - Vinson Filyaw for abducting, holding 14yo girl captive, Lugoff, 2006

Oh,Fantasic news.Poor Elizabeth .i hope she is going to be alright.What a creep this person is to do this.Just hope they get him and he gets what is coming to him.Hate to think of what would have become of Elizabeth if she had not been found.What was his intention?The mindd boggles sometimes does'nt it.

The one article I read said she used his cell phone..

I just saw this on the news.
So glad she got out okay :)

I didn't like the look of that bunker.
Poor girl :(

Authorities early Sunday arrested a man suspected of kidnapping a 14-year-old girl who sent a text message to her mother that led to her rescue from a booby-trapped bunker.

Investigators arrested Vinson Filyaw, 37, in Richland County about 24 hours after rescuing Elizabeth Shoaf, Steve McCaskill, the sheriff in neighboring Kershaw County.

Filyaw will be charged with kidnapping, possession of an incendiary device and impersonating an officer, he said.

McCaskill said more charges likely will follow after investigators interview the girl. Police expected to talk to her Monday about the Sept. 6 abduction and ordeal that followed, he said.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,214185,00.html

Beyond Belief said:
Authorities early Sunday arrested a man suspected of kidnapping a 14-year-old girl who sent a text message to her mother that led to her rescue from a booby-trapped bunker.

Investigators arrested Vinson Filyaw, 37, in Richland County about 24 hours after rescuing Elizabeth Shoaf, Steve McCaskill, the sheriff in neighboring Kershaw County.

Filyaw will be charged with kidnapping, possession of an incendiary device and impersonating an officer, he said.

McCaskill said more charges likely will follow after investigators interview the girl. Police expected to talk to her Monday about the Sept. 6 abduction and ordeal that followed, he said.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,214185,00.html
I'm glad she was found alive and this pervert is off the streets. Hopefully he'll spend the rest of his life in a cell he can't dig himself out of.

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=42024

(Kershaw County) - Captain David Thomley spoke with News 19 Saturday morning about the experience of searching and finding 14-year-old Elizabeth Shoaf.

Thomley said he and other deputies had been searching all Friday night and met at 7 a.m. Saturday morning for a briefing. He said they had information that Elizabeth, or "Lizzy" as he referred to her, may have been in a tunnel.

and

Thomley says this is the fourth bunker that they've found since yesterday, and was the most elaborate so far. He said it was camoflauged well and would have been hard to see from the air or the ground.

"I thank God that she's okay and doing as well as she can be under the circumstances, just elated," said Thomley.

Thomley is relieved that Shoaf was found, but not surprised. He said, "We expected to find her and we were not going to stop until we did."

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=42015

Video

VIDEO: Sheriff Steve McCaskill explains how Elizabeth Shoaf was found
VIDEO: Watch interview with one of the deputies who found Elizabeth Shoaf
VIDEO: News19's Jennifer Tomazic talks with Deputy Tim Stec of the U.S. Marshals Service
VIDEO: Ashley Yarchin explains what was inside the bunker where Elizabeth was found.
VIDEO: Elizabeth Shoaf's aunt reacts to the news of Elizabeth being found.
RAW VIDEO: Watch raw video of the bunker where Elizabeth was found.
VIDEO: Ashley Yarchin Updates the Latest on the Investigation

So they knew since last Wed she had used his cellie to text her mother. And he was wanted since last April for sexually abusing a young female member of his immediate family.

What a creep!~ He must have been very evasive and slipped into his tunnels when the cops came around. And to think he had a GF at the house with this young girl kidnapped and stowed in a bunker he had built at the same time. Unbelievable.

So the miracle is she was not harmed by him physically. Thank goodness for that. She is so fortunate to have grabbed his cellie while he slept, and that quick thinking and daring move saved her life I think. He must be a schitzoid pedophile - with his sickness at building underground hiding places and his lust for a young girl to keep in one of them.

I hope she doesn't have nightmares and gets good help now so she will be OK. To think something could happen like this in today's age is amazing. Thank goodness the technology was there to bring her to safety. And all within a mile from her home!!!!

Scandi

PS: I just got a cell phone for my grandaughter, and really poo poo'ed the salesman's pitch on text messaging for an extra $5 a month. Wow! I'm sold for sure now because one never knows what life holds, even though I know my girlie is virtually safe from harm. Now she has that extra edge, and I like that!

I heard on my local ABC radio station that she text messaged her mother with HIS cell phone and the authorities were able to find her...has anyone else heard this?

WOW!!! ...they got him, good job!!!

lymom3 said:
I heard on my local ABC radio station that she text messaged her mother with HIS cell phone and the authorities were able to find her...has anyone else heard this?
I believe that was verified in one of the articles. I was thinking that is so good that she knew how to do this. I don't even know how to text, and probably wouldn't know how to get one either. Kids are so savvy these days, and thank God for it. I'm so glad she was found before he was through with her.

Kidnapped Girl Text-Messaged Mom From Bunker

A man suspected of kidnapping a 14-year-old South Carolina girl and keeping her in an underground bunker has been charged with raping the teen.

The suspect, Vinson Filyaw, surrendered Sunday morning to police as he walked along an interstate near Columbia.

Kershaw County Sheriff Steve McCaskill said Filyaw had eluded police with an elaborate system of hideouts and bunkers since November 2005 when he was charged with criminal sexual conduct in a separate case.

Police say Filyaw abducted the girl as she walked home from a school bus stop on Sept. 6.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/9869086/detail.html

christine2448 said:
Kidnapped Girl Text-Messaged Mom From Bunker

A man suspected of kidnapping a 14-year-old South Carolina girl and keeping her in an underground bunker has been charged with raping the teen.

The suspect, Vinson Filyaw, surrendered Sunday morning to police as he walked along an interstate near Columbia.

Kershaw County Sheriff Steve McCaskill said Filyaw had eluded police with an elaborate system of hideouts and bunkers since November 2005 when he was charged with criminal sexual conduct in a separate case.

Police say Filyaw abducted the girl as she walked home from a school bus stop on Sept. 6.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/9869086/detail.html
Anyone on here have the capability of running a report on this Filyaw guy? I'm doubing that this was his first abduction--he's toward that older end of the age spectrum for beginning "sexual misconduct" towards a minor, so I'm guessing either he's got priors, although LE may not have made the connection yet or maybe he hasn't confessed yet.

s_finch said:
Anyone on here have the capability of running a report on this Filyaw guy? I'm doubing that this was his first abduction--he's toward that older end of the age spectrum for beginning "sexual misconduct" towards a minor, so I'm guessing either he's got priors, although LE may not have made the connection yet or maybe he hasn't confessed yet.
I checked the National Reg. for SO, and nothing. I did a check on him on NetDetective and it doesn't let me do criminal bg in SC. So, nothing, however, in the article posted he was wanted for another offense against a child and they were looking for him already.

I am curious why someone would kidnap a person but then leave their cell phone with them. Couldn't she easily have called someone?

I'm so wanting to know HOW MANY kids he has molested or maybe murdered. Dale Dinwiddie vanished from Columbia in 1992 and no one has been implicated in her disappearance (see link below my signature) Lugoff isn't far from Columbia.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back