SC - Walter Scott, 50, fatally shot by North Charleston PD officer, 4 April 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Passenger: Walter Scott was dear friend, ‘helped me to become a better man’

“Walter was a dear friend, and I miss him every day,” Fulton stated in a release from Charleston attorney Mark Peper. “Over the past five years, he helped me to become a better man and showed me the value of hard work. I’ll never know why he ran, but I know he didn’t deserve to die. Please keep Walter and his family in your prayers and respect my privacy moving forward.”
http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150413/PC16/150419740/1177

Long list of mistakes Slager made during the traffic stop at the link you provided. Another, more seasoned, officer mentioned why it is best to stay with the vehicle and not chase after a fleeing driver. He made some good points, too many to post and stay within TOS for copyright. Worth the read.

Long list of mistakes Slager made during the traffic stop at the link you provided. Another, more seasoned, officer mentioned why it is best to stay with the vehicle and not chase after a fleeing driver. He made some good points, too many to post and stay within TOS for copyright. Worth the read.

That's their opinion.

From the same article.

This is what matters.

A spokesman for the S.C. Criminal Justice Academy, Maj. Florence McCants, said Slager did not violate police procedure when he chased Scott.

“There is no hard and fast rule. That is the officer’s discretion,” she said.

bbm

That's their opinion.

From the same article.

This is what matters.

A spokesman for the S.C. Criminal Justice Academy, Maj. Florence McCants, said Slager did not violate police procedure when he chased Scott.

“There is no hard and fast rule. That is the officer’s discretion,” she said.

bbm

I don't think he violated procedure when he chased Scott. But procedure doesn't call for shooting Scott in the back as he is running away.
He clearly couldn't fear for his life at that moment, since Scott was not running towards him but away from him.

I can't imagine what it was like for officer Slager to be in such a terrifying situation. No doubt his Adrenalin would have been pumping in overdrive during these horrific seconds when he was faced with the decision to kill or be killed. What would you choose? What would any of us choose? If I was officer Slager I am sure that I would choose to come home to my expectant wife. Sadly he is sitting behind bars and denied bail. In just a few weeks his first child (a boy or a girl?) will be born and officer Slager will be BANNED from holding his first born :(

Yeah well, Scott won't be holding anybody ever again so I'm sorry if my sympathies go toward the dead man who didn't deserve to be gunned down while running away regardless of his crimes. That's why we have a justice system and not Wild West executioners.

It took awhile but it seems the media is figuring out they have been played.

JMO

Pretty sure NOBODY thinks Slager was wrong for chasing Scott since we've been saying all along he should have continued to chase instead of murdering him.

There is a much bigger picture here that people seem to be vehemently resisting.

Not one other officer was perturbed at he scene with what Slager had done, there was no urgency to try to save Scott's life. Referencing the Julius Wilson situation, those officers were also not bothered by Slager's excessive use of force, they were using a whole lot of force themselves. This tells me this is common practice in this particular PD (at least at these lower levels, the ones on the street), so it's really no surprise to me that men in the black community might choose to run rather than risk staying and getting beat up or tasered. JMOO.

The thing which sort of rolled on the ground between Scott and Slager at the 12 second mark is Scott's baseball cap. I think that is what people are mistaking for the cartridge? It's definately the hat. In some other frame by frame type photo's one can see the cap falling off Scott as he turns to run.

If that's the baseball cap, then the officer never planted a taser at Scott's feet. He ran over to retrieve the baseball cap not the taser or cartridge.

If that's the baseball cap, then the officer never planted a taser at Scott's feet. He ran over to retrieve the baseball cap not the taser or cartridge.

No. He walks past the baseball cap, grabs the taser, and walks back past the cap to drop the taser by Scott.

Why the heck would he care about a baseball hat???? That is not what he picked up. IT was the taser. He was planting evidence.

It looks like the taser to me, but he should not have moved anything. It was a crime scene.

There is a much bigger picture here that people seem to be vehemently resisting.

Not one other officer was perturbed at he scene with what Slager had done, there was no urgency to try to save Scott's life. Referencing the Julius Wilson situation, those officers were also not bothered by Slager's excessive use of force, they were using a whole lot of force themselves. This tells me this is common practice in this particular PD (at least at these lower levels, the ones on the street), so it's really no surprise to me that men in the black community might choose to run rather than risk staying and getting beat up or tasered. JMOO.

Seems to me it's the inhabitants of that community that have a problem. jmo

I can't help but post this.

This time it began with a broken taillight. Slager had stopped a car being driven by Scott because the taillight was out; either a revenue stop aimed at collecting a fine for the North Charleston coffers or a harassment stop. Either way, a dumb way to use the time of any cop. These things hardly ever occur in largely white, suburban areas of this country. And only rarely does it happen in big cities where cops are more professional, better trained and busy doing real policing.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/13/the-man-who-watched-walter-scott-die.html

bbm Are there any facts to back up what the writer of this article has stated? I would love to know what is meant by real policing. This is why I stop reading an article as soon as a see bias in their writing like this. jmo idk
SABBM

Interesting find, Elley Mae.
Yes, I agree there is bias in this article you linked to. Seriously, people, tell the truth ! Don't write it unless you can back it up ; otherwise just write that it's only your opinion and may be faulty. (haha ! LOVE to see a credible news organization admit that their articles are their own opinion. Like that is going to happen..... smh )
And why does 'the daily beast' think stopping a car for a missing tail light is 'dumb' ? A missing tail light is problematic , because then the car that may be following does NOT KNOW when the vehicle ahead of it plans to slow down or stop !!!!!
We live in a fairly white, suburban area and we have been pulled over on the interstate for a crack in our windshield --- the crack was a smallish horizontal one, just above the wipers. Received a warning and went on our way. I have no idea how the state trooper noticed that crack. Unbelievable eyesight, that man had .
:moo:

Seems to me it's the inhabitants of that community that have a problem. jmo

Im sorry, What???

If in the news consistently for the last 6 months, Middle aged white women were being attacked by police, middle aged white women would be on alert. They would be afraid to stop. It has happened before when "fake" police use lights to try and pull over women and those women are told do not stop.. call 911 and drive to police station. Their fear is validated and a solution is offered.
Not in this case. Sure some of these guys may be bad guys, But they shouldn't lose their life at a traffic stop. They should have a chance to be brought in and given due process.

Scarlett what is happening how are we agreeing? LOL! <3

No. He walks past the baseball cap, grabs the taser, and walks back past the cap to drop the taser by Scott.

If that's the taser, then it's quite possible it was in Mr. Scotts left hand. The object that rolls past the officer is the object he ran back to retrieve. I thought it was the taser but another poster said it was the ball cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth