Scared Sick: mystery illness strikes 30+ students at Tulsa jail "career day" visit

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, May 11, 2012.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Bell students visiting Tulsa Jail are OK after baffling illness
    much more at Tulsa World link above
    more at Fox23.com link below, with video:

Parents concerned after David L. Moss field trip

2. Loading...

3. AnaTeresa

AnaTeresa New Member

Interesting. Could have been psychosomatic. I do have to say, the few times I've been to one jail in the area, I have to breathe through my mouth very shallowly. It's near a sewage treatment plant, plus the smell of the jail - I gag. Terribly. It makes jail visits with clients super fun.

4. badhorsie

badhorsie Mouth operational, brain elsewhere...

My bet would be on one student being sick and then an element of hysteria, exacerbated by them being so scared.
    Does that happen in the US, schoolkids being shown around prisons to scare them into being straight?

5. MayraMM

MayraMM New Member

I thought hysteria first, too, but they said the air quality was compromised, so that would suggest something was released that shouldn't have been. Maybe an inmate in another part of the jail was being subdued with pepper spray or something, and it got into the ventilation system.

6. BuzzieCat

BuzzieCat New Member

I don't see where it says they detected anything. It looks like they checked for carbon monoxide and didn't find it. I'd lean toward it being psychosomatic unless other evidence comes out. It'd probably be pretty easy to freak out being inside a jail.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=18254378
    That's weird: "'"We've been told the jail doesn't have any gas running throughout the facility so right now the fire department is trying to determine what led to some elevated readings on our CO detectors,' TFD's Tim Smallwood said." So there WERE some elevated readings?!

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20120511_11_0_Adayaf262936
    "Blood tests administered to the 20 students who were treated at the hospital Thursday showed that the students had been exposed to higher-than-normal levels of carbon monoxide, Smith said."

How could it be carbon monoxide poisoning but they can't find the source? The bus comes out clean, they can't find anything at the jail. Creepy.

7. crystalgenie

crystalgenie New Member

If I see someone throw up I will most assuredly will. I can see it in the movies and on TV and it not bother me, but let my dd throw up in front of me (from a stomach virus) and I'm done!

When I was little we were taken to the local jail and shown how they fingerprint people, and what jail cells look like. I was 9 years old and it made a huge impression on me. I have never been to jail and have no intentions of going. I hope at least someone of them were scared straight.

8. Quiche

Quiche New Member

Doesn't sound like a very fun field trip-- even without the barfing.

Maybe they had to hang out for a while in a room without enough ventilation-- a group that size could very easily suck the air from an already stuffy environment. Plus, if they were nervous and hyper, it would occur even more easily. jmo

Well, I'm sure it was memorable! :what:

9. wendybtn

wendybtn Well-Known Member

Career day is when different industries, employers, and agencies set up booths in a place and students visit and learn about different careers they may be interested in. I have never heard of having a career day in a local jail. And I grew up in Tulsa, FWIW.

10. HMSHood

HMSHood Admiral-Class Battlecruiser

Maybe the jail scared those children.