Scientists reveal dangers of older fathers

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
A mass study found that deaths of children fathered by over-45s occurred at almost twice the rate of those fathered by men aged between 25 and 30.
Scientists believe that children of older fathers are more likely to suffer particular congenital defects as well as autism, schizophrenia and epilepsy. The study was the first of its kind of such magnitude in the West, and researchers believe the findings are linked to the declining quality of sperm as men age.
A total of 100,000 children born between 1980 and 1996 were examined, of whom 830 have so far died before they reached 18, the majority when they were less than a year old.

More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2059130/Scientists-reveal-dangers-of--older-fathers.html

So not only women who need to consider dangers of becoming an older parent to a child conceived.

oh great, my father was 60 when I was born, no wonder I'm so messed up! and here I thought it was all my mothers fault :waitasec:

VB

Oh, I thought this was about Drew Peterson.

A mass study found that deaths of children fathered by over-45s occurred at almost twice the rate of those fathered by men aged between 25 and 30.
Scientists believe that children of older fathers are more likely to suffer particular congenital defects as well as autism, schizophrenia and epilepsy. The study was the first of its kind of such magnitude in the West, and researchers believe the findings are linked to the declining quality of sperm as men age.
A total of 100,000 children born between 1980 and 1996 were examined, of whom 830 have so far died before they reached 18, the majority when they were less than a year old.

More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2059130/Scientists-reveal-dangers-of--older-fathers.html

So not only women who need to consider dangers of becoming an older parent to a child conceived.
I am so glad they did that study! I have often wondered how it was so important that a woman's age mattered, yet it seemed that a man's age and health wasn't considered. Now we know that BOTH the sperm AND the egg have a .....*shelf life*..so to speak. ;)

I am so glad they did that study! I have often wondered how it was so important that a woman's age mattered, yet it seemed that a man's age and health wasn't considered. Now we know that BOTH the sperm AND the egg have a .....*shelf life*..so to speak. ;)

*shelf life* — excellent way of putting it! :)

I was 43 when I fathered my son and he was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder one year ago.

I was 43 when I fathered my son and he was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder one year ago.

I'm so sorry, bigbuck. :blowkiss:

they weren't, in this study, speaking of anyone under 45. or do you think your age could possibly have been a contributing factor? too personal a question, so shoot me down.

I'm so sorry, bigbuck. :blowkiss:

they weren't, in this study, speaking of anyone under 45. or do you think your age could possibly have been a contributing factor? too personal a question, so shoot me down.

Thank you Floh and, no shooting needed. Yes, I think my age may have had something to do with it. There are other studies linking fathers over 40 with autistic children.

because up until now, they probably just assumed it was the womans fault... as usual... LOL

Thank you Floh and, no shooting needed. Yes, I think my age may have had something to do with it. There are other studies linking fathers over 40 with autistic children.

Do you have any links to any sites which may have such studies?

i had never heard of this possibility before, but i know little about autism.

Uh Oh, Holly better think again before she has babies with Hef :sick:

Sperm ages not like a fine wine - lol that is funny to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back