Screwed Until The Very End

I never really understood the whole burial thing to begin with. Who wants to be placed in a box, buried in the dirt. It seems so barbaric. Me - just burn me up and toss the ashes.

Oh, I especially don't like this screwing into the ground scenario. ICK.

MOO

Mel

The only screw that I want to be remembered by is totally x rated and no mourners.

Snipped...
Every once in awhile I go up to the cemetery and there they are, the entire family I had was once married into. They all died, kids, parents, sister, brother in law, grandparents and great grand parents. One child left living. And of course me. They take up so much room, the better part of a whole row. Nobody cares anymore, theres nobody left. It all just seems so senseless now. We need a new method.

I totally agree. My parents researched caskets and pre-paid for their funerals and caskets that would last over a thousand years. (And, then what?)

My parents also purchased prime cemetery real estate, complete with headstones, sculptures, etc. I guess they thought we would be visiting often, but both my brother and I live out-of-state, so we've each gone to the cemetery around a total of 4 times in the last 30 years.

In my grandmother's generation her casket was in the home. People stayed all night with her body and mourned for days. Today we celebrate a life, often with jokes about the person's life. The end of life has changed, but many still cling to the older idea of traditional burial. And, yes, you're correct. In most cases after a few years nobody is left to care.

Aren't most military burials vertical now? I have no problem with vertical, but the screw thing is kinda whacked.

I never really understood the whole burial thing to begin with. Who wants to be placed in a box, buried in the dirt. It seems so barbaric. Me - just burn me up and toss the ashes.

MOO

Mel
Oh God, me too! While I am still in my 40's, my sons have had it drilled into their
lovely little heads since (practically) birth the little fact that AFTER SHE DIES, MOM DOES NOT WANT TO BE PUT INTO A CASKET- EVER!! MOM WANTS TO BE CREMATED AND THEN HAVE HER ASHES BURIED NEXT TO HER MOTHER'S ASHES- MOM WILL THEN BE AT PEACE! AND, IF MOM'S WISHES ARE NOT HONORED, MOM WILL 'RETURN' TO HAUNT YOU AND YOUR BROTHER AD INFINITUM- SO GET IT RIGHT (LOL)!! Sincerely, even though I respect anyone's right to a ((shudder)) casket, it ain't for me, esp. the "rotting slowly in the ground" part. One great thing about cremations, up to FIVE cremains can be buried in ONE plot. And I want to be buried in the same patch of earth where my dear mother was placed, cremated, in 1991. Maybe I AM somewhat old-fashioned, because I do want a small marker w/my name and dates, etc. on it. I think it helps loved ones to have somewhere to go/something concrete to look at to remember the one who has died. My big brother died last year of lung cancer at 49- :( - according to his wishes, he was cremated and his ashes were spread in his beloved river where he fished for many years. I get that, but I HATE the fact that his family has nowhere to go to mourn; my family is Italian and believe me we do mourn!! My nephew, my brother's son, is only 23, and he, especially, is having a hard time with this- as he puts it "I have no place to go where I can see my Dad's NAME." We can all understand what he means... but I know the most important thing is honoring the wishes of the one who has passed. So, to reiterate for my sons (as if they read WS, lol!): NO coffin for moi, ESPECIALLY one that screws into the ground! Ick. JMO, MOO, etc.!

I so agree with you Annmarie! Ive been telling my family forever, please do not bury me. I dont need all that space. I have my own plot purchased, but it is because I didnt want my son to have "neighbors". So we purchased a few adjacent plots to prevent him from being overcrowded by stangers. I dont plan on being interred there, but a nice marker next to his would be fine. I appreciate the vertical method for burial, it does save space, but the see through screw would be too much for any greiving person to bear I would think. What grieving widow, parent, spouse would want to see their loved one being bored into the ground like that? certainly not me.

MOO

Mel

I have to say I agree. I've never wanted to be buried. It seems to me that Cremation would be the ultimate solution to using so much land for buriel. Generations of families could be in one small vault or buriel chamber.

Cremation just completely freaks me out, but I am starting to change my opinion little by little. I just keep going back to the thought that we don't know exactly what we feel when we are dead. From all we know, nothing. But we don't actually KNOW that.

Belinda, I totally agree with your first sentence. I've always been afraid of fire, but also claustrophobic, so either sounds just awful to me. On the other hand, dead is dead and funerals are very expensive. Would rather leave any $$ for children/grandchildren. Cremation is sounding better all the time. IMO, MOO, etc.

I agree dead is dead..... that screw thing is awfully odd. It almost reminds me of something from some old odd late 50's or early 60's horror flick like 'Motha' (I think it was motha or some odd ball flick...... )

I have considered cremation and recently considered donating my body to the body farm down there in TN. A donation to the body farm would be so against my faith, but I think as a WS'rs and all we do here, if I can help a little after I am gone, why not?

Yes, cremation or donation for me. I don't want to waste soil just for my old bones.

It would save space. It's not a bad idea may have to work out a few kinks, but with the baby boomers becoming seniors were gonna have to find a place for all of them. Maybe I'll start a cemetery and call it " The Final Ride".

I am a card carrying organ donor, whatever is leftover....as far as I am concerned...they can grind up and use as fertilizer.

I'm a registered organ donor, too. Whatever's left will be cremated. I've made my family promise me that they will take my ashes up north near the source of the Mississippi and dump them in. I want to make the whole trip down to the Gulf of Mexico. :)

Whatever my family does with me when I die is up to them. Whatever helps them cope, know what I mean? As for me, I am out of here as soon as I draw my last breathe and I won't even be thinking about it.

I'm increasingly interested in the work various groups and people are doing with rubberization for art and science exhibits... I could think of worse ways for my remains to be put to use.

Just for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BODIES..._The_Exhibition

Also, as a former forensic anthro student, I know that universities are grateful for skeleton donations to train new foranths, so I really would like to go in that direction.

But if I'm cremated, I don't really care where I am spread. They can suck me up with a dustbuster for all I care.

(All this assuming I can't be frozen in carbonite and hung on a wall, that is.)

Both my husband and I have expressed our wishes to be cremated. I'm a registered organ donor and hope that most of my "parts" can be used to benefit others. What's left of me can be used for fertilizer or strewn at sea.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back