SD - College student, 19, dies with .55 blood alcohol content, Dec 2003

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Quincy, Dec 11, 2003.

  1. Quincy

    Quincy New Member

    Messages:
    286
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    but 5 college students in South Dakota are being charged with furnishing alcohol to a minor. A friend and fellow college student . He died of alcohol poisoning with a BAC of .55%!!!! The nightmare this must have been for all of them, I'm sure taught them a lesson they will never forget.


    http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2003/12/11/news/local/news06.txt
     
  2. Loading...


  3. Toth

    Toth Inactive

    Messages:
    968
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Many people think that drinking leads to getting drunk, they don't know the dangers of aspiration of vomit and drowning and they don't know what systemic alcohol poisoning is.

    They have been taught gun safety since the age of three, but not alcohol safety at all.
     
  4. Ghostwheel

    Ghostwheel Pyrrhonist

    Messages:
    4,276
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    0
    That's because it is socially acceptable (and even encouraged) to drink. I cannot tell you how many people think they are being entertaining when they are just drunk (and obnoxious, giggling without end, bitching, or whining, etc). They have no idea how far gone they are, no different than a person on "drugs". And their "friends" will hand them more.

    Kind of a high cost for a lesson.
     
  5. Quincy

    Quincy New Member

    Messages:
    286
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    .35% BAC is considered lethal, but .55%??? Wow.

    It seems to be a rite of passage for college students. Live the college life. Party, party, party. Drink too much, and drink it over a fairly close time frame and you and the people around you may not even realize how drunk you truly are. Until it goes through your bloodstream. Soon there's the vomiting, the passing out, the aspiration of vomit and the possible end of a life. Mistakenly thought of as "sleeping it off". This poor kid got an eternal sleep. All because of a little fun.

    I would imagine those poor men are probably reliving what happened over and over again in their minds and wish there was some way to change what happened.
     
  6. ajt400

    ajt400 Guest

    I know that I drank alot. I don't do it as much now because I have to work 9-5. We used to go through bottles and bottles and bottles! Most of it was done in shots!

    A 16 yr old girl died the year after I graduated high school on a beach trip---she died choking on her own vomit. (AWFUL) Mostly they teach kids not to drink and drive--which doesn't really work until someone you know is hurt in an accident....sometimes that doesn't even stop them.

    These sorts of dangers should be taught to kids, instead of just acting as if they don't exist and sweeping it under the rug.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice