SD SD - Joann Hoof, 2 days old, taken from mom at a hotel, FBI involved, Oglala, 29 Apr 2022

Laughing

Reaction score
The imho apparent lack of cooperation between the various LE agencies is staggering.

THE BABY'S RIGHTS should be the FIRST priority imho.

Joann is Oglala Sioux. Her mother, Oglala Sioux, has legal custody.

Seems LE in other areas know Joann's location.

Uhm, imho time to return Joann to her legal custodian.

jmho ymmv lrr

CastlesBurning

Reaction score
Joann Hoof was born on April 27. Two days later, the baby’s father, Jacob Barajas, took her out of state without her mother’s consent. Lassandra Hoof said she was getting her hospital bag from the Prairie Winds Hotel parking lot when she saw Barajas leave with her baby.

She said she was visiting Barajas at the hotel where he was staying following the birth of the baby. The two are married, but their relationship formed and crumbled in a matter of months.

Wait, now I'm really confused...

If the two parents were legally married at the time of the baby's birth, they would have equal legal rights to the child, regardless of whatever personal issues they were going through. Dad may have taken Joann without Lassandra's consent, but it's not exactly "kidnapping", as far as I can see, unless of course there are other factors involved that were not mentioned here (such as mom filing legal paperwork prior to Joann's birth).

CastlesBurning

Reaction score
In addition, why would dad have to sign for paternity? When a man and a woman are married, legally any child born during that time is considered to have that man as its father (even if it's not actually the case).

Also, if dad is actively involved, it seems odd IMO that Joann has mom's last name. I have worked in an urban school district for nearly 15 years and although many children's parents are not married, they almost always have dad's last name. While I'm sure that legally you can give your baby any surname you want, it's just another details that comes at me as relevant.

cvaldez1975

Reaction score
Joann Hoof was born on April 27. Two days later, the baby’s father, Jacob Barajas, took her out of state without her mother’s consent. Lassandra Hoof said she was getting her hospital bag from the Prairie Winds Hotel parking lot when she saw Barajas leave with her baby.

She said she was visiting Barajas at the hotel where he was staying following the birth of the baby. The two are married, but their relationship formed and crumbled in a matter of months.

Wait, now I'm really confused...

If the two parents were legally married at the time of the baby's birth, they would have equal legal rights to the child, regardless of whatever personal issues they were going through. Dad may have taken Joann without Lassandra's consent, but it's not exactly "kidnapping", as far as I can see, unless of course there are other factors involved that were not mentioned here (such as mom filing legal paperwork prior to Joann's birth).
and there is the rub. Lassandra has since obtained temp custody but since the baby was taken prior jacob is not charged with a crime, mom does have legal custody rn tho. and the child is not in dads custody as he is overseas.

killarney rose

Reaction score
I agree. The post had bothered me when I read it this morning so I looked at her FB. She strikes me as a struggling young Mama, no different than so many others. I see no reason from there too shame or judge her.
I’m not shaming or judging her. Please don’t put words in my mouth. I only observed that dad might be concerned.

Laughing

Reaction score

I am usually a staunch supporter of LE & our armed services.

This time??? Umm, nope. Not a bit.

This Oglala Sioux should be returned to her Oglala Sioux guardian ASAP.

jmho ymmv lrr

citizen_sleuth

Verified family member - Orie Donald Esh thread
Reaction score
So the mom was granted both temporary and then permanent custody by the tribal court but the U.S. Army just chose to ignore that and not do anything to address the fact one of their officers abducted this child?!?! Absolutely unacceptable. My heart breaks for this child and her mother. The U.S. Army needs to be held accountable for their complicity.