GUILTY SD - RieLee Lovell, 2, strangled to death, Wagner, 3 July 2012

And what's up with the whole wrapped in a blanket thing?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

probably
a) to hide the body further or disguise the fact that a body lay buried in the contents of that closet

and/or

b) to muffle the smell of decomp which must have surely begun to be present if she died as long before being reported as authorities believe.

More than 36 hours?! :furious:

Yeah...I have trouble believing that these 2 were so high for 36 hours that they didn't know. Also, if the kids in the neighborhood were talking about it, why did no adults know? :banghead::banghead:

There is a short video tease on KELOTV site about a protest outside the courthouse today while the hearing was on going.

It was a relatively quiet day in Lake Andes until a protest group showed up outside the Charles Mix County Courthouse for the first court appearance of Taylor and Laurie Cournoyer.

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm/Protestors_Blame_Toddler_Death_On_Drug_Use/?Id=134551

Well thank goodness someone is finally saying/doing something.

probably
a) to hide the body further or disguise the fact that a body lay buried in the contents of that closet

and/or

b) to muffle the smell of decomp which must have surely begun to be present if she died as long before being reported as authorities believe.

Yuck didn't even think about that. All I thought about was it being a gesture of love well...not love...maybe remorse. And they sure didn't strike me as remorseful.

Laurie Cournoyer was taken into custody on outstanding warrants before Cook arrived on the scene. When she spoke with detectives after 5 p.m. July 4, she initially said that RieLee and another child were fighting as she tried to clean the house at 11:30 that morning.She’d sent them into the bedroom as a punishment, she said. When she came in to get the toddler for a bath, she said, the girl was unresponsive. She tried to revive her, she said, then called 911.

In a probable cause affidavit filed with the criminal case, Division of Criminal Investigation agent Riley Cook recalled this exchange with Taylor Cournoyer on July 4:

“I asked Taylor if it was possible (RieLee) had been deceased from the late night hours of 7-2-12 or early morning hours of 7-3-12,” Cook wrote. “Taylor responded with ‘I could have swore I saw her yesterday.’ ”

During several interviews with law enforcement, Taylor Cournoyer said he’d been working July 3. He returned home, then went to the Dollar General in Wagner to pick up cleaning supplies with Laurie before sitting in the bedroom to work on tattoo ideas.

He told detectives that four of the six children in the home came into the bedroom and began coloring with him at one point, and that another child was “wandering around the house.” He said he thought he saw RieLee eating in the kitchen, but later said he couldn’t recall for certain

http://www.argusleader.com/article/...w-body-hours-before-911-call?odyssey=nav|head

BBM

2 things:

Laurie Cournoyer lied to LE about RieLee fighting with another child on July 4th at 11:30am? WTH :banghead:

If RieLee was already dead and the children in the house were showing her body to others, why didn't they mention it to the parents? These parents had to know.

I really hope they know exactly what is going on since the 11 year old was also arrested. Sounds like she tried the best she could to say a child did it. And what exactly did he think RieLee was eating since they admitted to not having food?

Eta: wtf?! Am I reading that article right? The kids next door for sure told their parents and THEY didn't call police?

I am grateful that Mr. Bair and his wife, Ms. Zephyr, are taking action. They are a small group but it is a beginning. Wopila to them.

[video=youtube;tNaT4NgkoHA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNaT4NgkoHA[/video]

Both Cournoyers admitted to using drugs and not remembering the last time they saw Lovell alive. And that's the reason a small group of protestors set up outside Charles Mix County Courthouse.

"This drug is killing our people and we're tired of it," Lake Andes resident Robin Bair said.

Bair and his wife, Frances Zephyr, brought their children and members of the Yankton Sioux Tribe to Charles Mix County Courthouse Tuesday afternoon, fed up with a meth culture they claim is destroying their culture.

"Education is power and that's what we have to teach our children," Zephyr said.

"We're going from reservation to reservation, getting resolutions from each tribe and gathering those that aren't afraid because there's more people like us who aren't afraid, but we have to go to them," Bair said.

28-year-old Laurie Cournoyer and 21-year-old Taylor Cournoyer are each charged with one count of abuse or cruelty to a minor as a felony and failure to notify law enforcement of the death of a child.

The most noteworthy aspect of Tuesday's appearance was that Laurie Cournoyer's attorney successfully motioned for $3,000 to hire a private attorney on Laurie's behalf. Bond was set at $500,000 for each party. Their preliminary hearing is scheduled for July 31.

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm/Protestors_Claim_Meth_Led_To_Wagner_Death/?Id=134562

I really hope they know exactly what is going on since the 11 year old was also arrested. Sounds like she tried the best she could to say a child did it. And what exactly did he think RieLee was eating since they admitted to not having food?

Eta: wtf?! Am I reading that article right? The kids next door for sure told their parents and THEY didn't call police?

It is so aggravating to read anything about what happened to RieLee. The good thing is that there are families on rezzes who aren't like this, who respect their children and their families. They don't make the news.

Today was the first step on what will hopefuly be a path of Justice for RieLee.

According to affidavits filed with court documents related to the case, the couple had been using methamphetamine, marijuana and prescription sleeping pills in the hours after the 2-year-old’s death, and neither was able to tell investigators for sure when they had last seen the girl alive. The death went unreported for more than a day and a half, the documents say.

Each is charged with one count of abuse or cruelty to a minor and failure to notify law enforcement of the death of a child. Both charges are felonies. Each is being held on a $500,000 bond.

An 11-year-old male relative of the 2-year-old has also been taken into custody in connection with the death, but charges have not been filed against him.

After being led into the courtroom, the Cournoyers were seated on opposite sides of the front row until Magistrate Judge Patrick Kiner began the hearing, at which point both moved to the defendant’s table with their attorneys.

http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/event/article/id/67830/

Five other children in the Cournoyers’ care at the house were taken to the Wagner Police Department.

A search warrant was issued, and items collected as evidence included a marijuana pipe, pill bottle containing white pills with no prescription label, and two hypodermic needles located in the trash can, according to court records.

Authorities noted Laurie Cournoyer suffers from diabetes and may use the needles for insulin purposes. The exact content of the pill bottle and two needles has not yet been determined.

An 11-year-old boy was taken into custody in connection with the toddler’s death. As of last week, the boy was still being held in custody in the case.

http://www.yankton.net/articles/2012/07/18/community/doc50062fff8af7e454161265.txt

There are plenty of huge questions left with this story, but there’s one in particular that jumps out at me: How did the Cournoyers know RieLee was dead?

This is an incredibly important question, from a prosecutorial standpoint. You see, these two are the first people in the state to be charged under the new Caylee’s Law statute, which provides felony penalties for parents, guardians or caregivers who “knowingly” fail to report the death of a child within five hours.

Reading the paperwork would lead one to believe that the couple simply lost track of RieLee as they smoked pot, swallowed pills and did meth. When Taylor opened the closet door and found her on July 4, they called 911.

If that’s true, a Caylee’s Law charge might be hard sell. How could prosecutors prove to a jury, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the couple failed to report a death for five hours if the Cournoyers simply didn’t know where the kid was.

The new law does offer misdemeanor penalties for people who fail to report a missing child for 48 hours, but that doesn’t apply here. The couple has been charged specifically with failure to report a death to law enforcement.

Given the set of facts we have, it seems possible that someone told the Cournoyers that RieLee was dead. Either that, or maybe there’s something they told detectives that the prosecutors aren’t telling us.

http://jhult.tumblr.com/post/27392340986/prosecutors-say-the-cournoyers-knew-rielee-lovell-was

It goes on to mention a strong smell of bleach in the house when police arrived. Also that Laurie Cournoyer was already under arrest when the DCI agent arrived. Most importantly is, who called LE?

It is good that this case is in state court. If RieLee's death had occurred in tribal jurisdiction we might not have heard of it. IMHO

Welcome to the Yankton Sioux Tribe, Land of the Friendly People of the Seven Council Fires. Pictured is Thurman Cournoyer, who just won the chairmanship of the Yankton Sioux Tribe.

http://yanktonsiouxtribe.com/

It is good that this case is in state court. If RieLee's death had occurred in tribal jurisdiction we might not have heard of it. IMHO

Welcome to the Yankton Sioux Tribe, Land of the Friendly People of the Seven Council Fires. Pictured is Thurman Cournoyer, who just won the chairmanship of the Yankton Sioux Tribe.

http://yanktonsiouxtribe.com/

wow. We may never have heard a word about it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back