ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by cybervampira, Feb 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burnt_Biscuits

Burnt_Biscuits Member

I've been following this since the beginning, my question is, why doesn't the CHS have surveillance cameras mounted on the outside of the building and parking lot(s)?

Looloo, jewelsmac, cass523 and 9 others like this.
  2. SkipperKey3

SkipperKey3 Well-Known Member

The issue of cameras is still a hot topic. It has been said that they have outside cameras but that they possibly weren't working that day. We just don't know for sure.

ilovepierre, cass523, human and 11 others like this.
  3. PommyMommy

PommyMommy #ShinelikeShanann

MAR 28, 2019
    Wednesday's search for Serenity Dennard comes up short
    [​IMG]
    [...]

Officials say they plan to resume searching this weekend, as weather permits.

Improved weather conditions and less snow cover allowed crews to conduct a search today.

Despite the fact Wednesday's search came up empty, Rapid City Police Chief Karl Jegeris remains hopeful.

Wednesday's search for Serenity comes up empty
    [​IMG]
    "It is most likely that she is still in this proximity however we can't rule anything out,” Jegeris said.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    scmom, cass523, human and 10 others like this.
  4. ilovechili

ilovechili Well-Known Member

Thank you. That is quite a big event and I would imagine locals flock in as well and may take less traveled roads, some of them? Just a thought.

I too wondered if Rapid City was assisting the county. I did find it somewhat interesting it came from the Police Chief and not the sheriff, just I guess making me wonder if they have another theory that involves the city... I also remembered Rapid City having a big event as per another local poster. The stock show, that is what it was, thank you.

In each case, people that live locally are such a help with regard to eyes, ears, terrain, laws of the state, etc. I appreciate the information you provided here.

5. ilovechili

Thank you. I hope you know I was not trying to debate, I just do not trust our forecasts more than a few days out. A few weeks ago we were to have a major blizzard and that forecast remained right up through the day of. Never had anything close to it. The reason I responded and pointed it out was hope that what you saw for a forecast would not happen or halt a search, we have waited so long due to weather to see searches. It was just hope for finding Serenity and searches to continue.

I thought about putting in Keystone but just hit Rapid City as the closest bigger town and figured it would be close. For the record, Keystone was one of my favorite towns the first two times I was to SD. The last time I was there though it had changed much from my first time many years ago. I guess I hate change :)

I am happy to see that the forecast has changed as I hope the searches can continue.

Thank you for the update.

ETA: By "our" forecasts I mean anywhere in the US. The blizzard warning I refer to was not in SD. I just find forecasts in general to be way off a fair percentage of the time and especially when they are days out. I will say though it makes it difficult to plan things, such as a search.

6. ilovechili

That is a question many of us have--at least I do anyhow...

7. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

It would seem odd for there not to be cameras in this day and age. If the camera's design, housing and insulation was poor, the mechanism probably froze. I keep thinking to myself, are there cameras at the south pole and how do they keep those from freezing? I'm sure the quality is much higher and the design very different but still.

8. Trocroc9

Trocroc9 Well-Known Member

No I don’t think most kids are great at reading an analog clock but I do think they have an idea of time relating to their activities. Gym time is one of the favorites and in my experience they always seem to know when that is in their agenda of daily activities through routine. I’m sure the home had a consistent routine and schedule as this helps children with special needs. Also the least structured activity because of the vast size of the gymnasium and freedom to run around without close proximity to staff.

This is only my opinion and speculation but I think the only way she had a plan was if someone helped her devise it around her schedule of events. Someone who might have known both her and the other child that ran to distract. Someone who had to have knwown her daily schedule. All MOO!!

Looloo, cass523, watcher9 and 7 others like this.
  9. watcher9

watcher9 Well-Known Member

Could the dogs catch a scent if the remains were frozen?

10. PommyMommy

I know that avalanche dogs have found people in snow, but I don't see how a dog could detect a scent through ice. I would like to hear about it if anyone here has heard of a case like that. MOO

cass523, scmom, misgrn and 8 others like this.
  11. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

yes

cass523, scmom, Alcina and 7 others like this.
  12. PommyMommy

That is amazing, and something I didn't know. Can you give us an example?
    MOO

13. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

A properly trained HRD dog and a skilled handler is a dynamic team.

They can smell remains under water, buried in the ground or even severely burned remains. They were used extensively in the California wildfires, as an example, to find victim remains.

Traymar, cass523, scmom and 19 others like this.
  14. MsGazette

MsGazette Just call me Ms G

Taking a break from posting on this site for awhile, but I will still be here following along and “liking” to show my presence. Keeping hope alive for Serenity! I don’t care if it’s not realistic.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    cass523, carbuff, watcher9 and 14 others like this.
  15. PommyMommy

Yes, I just have never heard of a case where a dog has found a body that was frozen. That's what I was interested in, if you know. No worries if you don't. Thanks for your help. MOO

16. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

Oh, I misunderstood!

I know of a SAR team in NY several years ago who found a missing solo hiker who collapsed and died after having a heart attack. The temps were brutal with significant snowfall and he was found by a K9. I believe he was deceased for 3 days.

cass523, scmom, human and 9 others like this.
  17. PommyMommy

Well, my google must be on the fritz! Or maybe the story wasn't published? I looked between 2014 and 2017, I think. Anyway, moving on...
    MOO

cass523 and watcher9 like this.
  18. Laughing

Laughing Rarely Speechless

cass523, watcher9, AnnaGrace and 12 others like this.
  19. Jim_M

Jim_M Well-Known Member

The HOPE is where most of us show our humanity. ~~Find Serenity~~

20. HayLouise

HayLouise Law Student

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.