ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by cybervampira, Feb 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PommyMommy

PommyMommy #ShinelikeShanann

I'm guessing she had a visit with family the day before she disappeared.

Sheriff's office provides new photo, poster of Serenity Dennard
    The Pennington County Sheriff's Office is circulating a new picture and missing person flyer of Serenity Dennard, the 9-year-old who has been missing since Feb. 3.

According to social media posts from the sheriff's office, the photo was taken on Feb. 2, the day before she ran away from staff at the Black Hills Children's Home near Rockerville.

YaYa_521, AnnaGrace, Jim_M and 14 others like this.
  2. SkipperKey3

SkipperKey3 Well-Known Member

The idea that the first child was a decoy has been brought up before. It seems pretty unlikely, although nothing is outside of the realm of possibility.
    It does appear that her family visited her the day before, because the last picture was on the day before, and it looks like she was holding her little sister in her lap. (Not positive about that, though.) They would be who she would most naturally have gone off with, but she didn't.
    As for why they haven't found her if she had succumbed to the cold, LE has said that it is very difficult to search the hills nearby and there are tons of places she could have hidden (or fallen into?) and not yet be found. Very rough terrain, very cold weather, and a fair amount of snow since then. That makes it pretty easy to miss those little nooks and crannies, etc. For example, somebody or something could walk by tens of down trees on the steep hillside and not realize that something is tucked up on next to them on the other side. And no, it is not easy in the best of conditions to search that much area thoroughly.

YaYa_521, Jim_M, TwoDogNight and 11 others like this.
  3. SkipperKey3

And isn't Foster Gulch to the south and east? According to reports, she ran either north or west, unless they were not clear enough about where she ran up into the hills. That report said she ran "across the road and up into the hills", which would indicate roughly west.

YaYa_521, Jim_M, carbuff and 5 others like this.
  4. ilovechili

ilovechili Well-Known Member

Thank you. I truly appreciate it Pommy.

YaYa_521, Jim_M, jewelsmac and 2 others like this.
  5. PommyMommy

Right. So, I don't think Foster Gulch plays into this at all - it was just where the couple was cutting wood that day.

Google Maps

YaYa_521, Jim_M, sassyblue and 8 others like this.
  6. human

human Well-Known Member

You would leave the other kids alone?

YaYa_521, Jim_M and PommyMommy like this.
  7. SkipperKey3

That looks to be well outside the 1-mile radius that they started searching, and in the entirely wrong direction. I wonder what made LE look to question them? And I wonder how they saw searchers looking for Serenity that same day, if they were that far away? Unless maybe the gulch runs up in that direction, but it doesn't look like it would be that close.

YaYa_521, Jim_M, sassyblue and 7 others like this.
  8. Hecallsmeraquel

Hecallsmeraquel Member

Police agencies hamper these efforts period. I choose not to elaborate beyond saying that if they wanted it done they could have it done. Sadly their wants mean more than her needs.

YaYa_521, ilovechili and IceIce9 like this.
  9. SkipperKey3

The coldness of the weather is only part of the issue. The hills are steep and the footing uncertain to treacherous in the best of conditions, from what they have said. Add the fresh snow and it because extremely poor footing in much of the surrounding hills. Even the dogs were getting hurt.

10. moonriverfarm

moonriverfarm Well-Known Member

Has the family made a public statement?

11. ilovechili

I often think it is the "almighty" dollar, politics, boards, PR, lawsuits, crime statistics, bureaucracy, etc. Same idea probably. I like to believe it is not always the case, or I try to anyhow, not always easy. In this case, it does appear LE was not called immediately.

YaYa_521 likes this.
  12. jewelsmac

jewelsmac No one really knows why anyone does anything

13. ilovechili

Maybe it is just simply the hope expecting to see things like with the amazing cave rescues and more, this amazing result, and a need to believe in all hope, I do not know. I think maybe we hope of course every bit of every technology and every chance is used or exhausted with anyone. Yet they can't put searchers or dogs at risk either. We certainly are not there to know or a part of the effort. I try hard not to judge, difficult though at times because one tries to hope for the child, the family, a miracle, etc.

YaYa_521, Jim_M, cass523 and 3 others like this.
  14. jewelsmac

This looks an awful lot like she got into a car or was hiding

YaYa_521, Jim_M, carbuff and 5 others like this.
  15. SkipperKey3

I think the bold refers to the fact that there wasn't any snow, not that there wasn't any footprints. "There would have been no footprints in the snow, because we didn't have any [snow]."
    The lack of footprints doesn't mean she was in a car or in hiding, it means there was no snow in which to leave footprints.
    It is possible, however, that she may have been hiding.

YaYa_521, Jim_M, human and 7 others like this.
  16. PommyMommy

They didn't see Serenity, but they were in the area and may have witnessed other activity. I would assume that LE wanted to ask them about any people and/or vehicles they remember from that morning, their contact with the staff member, what time that occurred, etc.
    MOO

YaYa_521, watcher9, sassyblue and 8 others like this.
  17. ms_x_to_the_m

ms_x_to_the_m Well-Known Member

I am such a skeptic. I dont believe this story. Part of me thinks something else happened. Just not sure what. But I dont trust almost anyone when it comes to kids. It takes but a second for a child to disappear.

All moo, not making accusations, just an overreactive mind.

Trocroc9, YaYa_521, Maiko and 14 others like this.
  18. IceIce9

IceIce9 Well-Known Member

Is there any hard evidence like video that shows Serenity actually running away? Could she have become injured and someone taken her away in a vehicle?

Just thinking out loud and remembering other missing child cases where the facts didn’t add up.

MOO

YaYa_521, iamnotagolem, Jim_M and 8 others like this.
  19. Fernymom

Fernymom Member

I was questioning that too. My daughter is also 9 yrs old, same height 4’7” as Serenity, and 70 lbs. And my daughter still has some baby fat on her. Serenity does not appear overweight in these pics, so I am assuming it’s incorrect.

20. jewelsmac

Sorry, my comment is not about the snow. The fact that she was not missing for a very long time before people were “looking” for her is what I was observing. The fact that she could disappear so quickly is what I meant. Sorry if I was confusing

YaYa_521, watcher9, Jim_M and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.