ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I could have one question answered right now, it would be how long she had been there. Had she just arrived or been there for some time... My next would relate to security, alarms, ability to get outside or inside... Next would be the difference in weekdays versus weekends and staff. And depending, that may be my first question and the first the second... And the third would remain the third.

The child/adult ratio is what we have been told. I guess I am somewhat cynical in that we can be told that is protocol, it does not mean it was what was occurring on this Sunday... Without cameras who knows? Maybe some took a smoke break or wanted to make a private phone call and said hey cover for me... I hate to be that way but facts are nice, not just statements by someone who had the 911 call time wrong... By at least one and one-half hours not by minutes... That alone makes me question everything... Somewhere along the line that was way wrong... I so much am not accusing anyone but that is a fact and to anyone with a brain cell it has to make one wonder...

I will probably be attacked for that remark.... Just saying though again, has the story changed? Yes it has.... I would like to believe for the best reasons and not any sinister reason... Probably just a PR thing and hoping she would be found quickly...

But she has not been...

Take a deep, relaxing, breath. There will be no attacks for highlighting the facts, as we know them.

Your number one question, that turned into three questions lol, was the staffing. The original details, if I recall correctly, were a 2 to 1 ratio. Where normally it could go to 4 to 1. A phone/smoke break could logically stay within the ratio (now changing to the 4 to 1) as per protocol. However, was this really sufficient to maintain safety levels? That's something the home will need to answer to.

Your number three question (I think?) would be concerning security, alarms, etc. I believe these have been covered previously as far as cameras (none/non-functional) and no alarms on doors. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Your number two, which started as number one, concerns our beautiful missing child. I know, all children are beautiful. A gift. And I believe we are not privy to any background information about this little lamb. Makes total sense, just frustrating to the details.

So, I hope my answers brought some clarity (?) to your questions. :) :)

I still check here often, hoping that she has been found safe with somebody. I'm holding on to that until she is found. I don't want it to be, and I know nobody else does either, the other option.

1bbdb9a6_love.gif

Thinking of Serenity today praying she's safe and sound somewhere.

There's a ton of love, care and concern for you all around the world, Serenity. Happy belated Valentine's Day! Wherever home is in your heart, get there safely.
This brought tears to my eyes. I haven't posted on Serenity's thread until today, but check in daily. I had always hoped that she had sneaked back in to the building and was somehow hiding. Sadly it has been too long for that. It is so hard to be believe she is still out there in the cold somewhere.

An odd out of left-field thought.

Did anyone confirm why SD would have been wearing snow boots? In the gym?

Had the children already been outside? Or were they planning to go outside?

Or were these her favorite footwear? Or did she have no other footwear?

Best case I can come up with. Someone had mentioned people being off the grid, and it lit a spark of hope for me. If she was running and someone who was "off the grid" for one reason or another came across her, they'd probably be just as likely to want to help her as anyone else. I have no idea what kind of problems she has, but most I've known who were in similar circumstances seemed to have a hard time telling the truth at times. Maybe someone stopped to offer help and she told them she had been abused in some way at the home and wanted to get away. If they offered to take her home, she may have told them a lot of horror stories about what happened to her there (whether true or not) to get her put into the home. If they offered to take her to the police station to help her report the abuse, she could just say that she had tried before and they just brought her back which got her more punishment.

Especially if the person/people who found her was someone who lived out there because they didn't do well with society, always wanted kids, was gullible enough to believe her, etc., they may have just decided to "adopt" her as their own child. I know it has to be one of the least likely scenarios, but it's the only one I've come up with so far that has her alive, warm, probably fed, and not being abused. Until I hear otherwise, I think I'll stick with it. MOO

Going through the thread from the beginning. I have not gotten up to the realization of how much time TRULY elapsed before the staff called 9-1-1. This post jumped out at me! IMO this scenario is much better than a random pick-up. And covers the keeping warm & fed aspect. :)

I just want to say that I really don't think the director lied or changed the story about when the 911 call was made, I think it was a mistake that a lot of people made. When the staff member said she had called for help right away, I think she meant she had called for other staff to come help but most of us assumed she meant she had called 911. The parts that aren't clear to me are - Did someone see her run outside or just out of the gym? Were the women in the car the last to see her or a staff member? Was she seen going north on the road, west into the hills, neither or both? Like so many others, why was she wearing snow boots in the gym? MOO

I, too, am an adoptive parent, and unfortunately have experience with a child in a similar facility. I do NOT know all the rules of this facility. The facility I am familiar with, the children are not allowed shoes with shoe strings. Also, they may have a policy where patients are only allowed one pair of shoes. Winter, up north, I can only have one pair of shoes and they can't have shoe strings. Snow boats would be high on my list of choices. JMO

I, too, am an adoptive parent, and unfortunately have experience with a child in a similar facility. I do NOT know all the rules of this facility. The facility I am familiar with, the children are not allowed shoes with shoe strings. Also, they may have a policy where patients are only allowed one pair of shoes. Winter, up north, I can only have one pair of shoes and they can't have shoe strings. Snow boats would be high on my list of choices. JMO
Having lived in the North all my life, I can say that I'd think they were derelict in their duty if they only allowed a child to have shoes or boots in the winter rather than both. Shoes would be unsafe outside on ice and snow unless they were much more careful than kids I've known, and they wouldn't be warm enough. Boots would be good for outdoors, but would be too hot indoors, track in too much ice, slush, mud, etc. which would be a safety hazard indoors. The boots would also seem to provide less warmth (I'm not sure if they actually do) if worn inside all day and then worn outside; there could also be more problems with feet freezing if they were hot and sweaty when the child went outside. I don't believe the reason she wore the boots in the gym was because she had no shoes to wear, although stranger things have happened. MOO

When it comes to staff to student ratios in our state, those numbers are determined by the state (and subsequently tax dollars). We are allotted a number of staff per unit of “complex child.” Like it or not, that’s the government. Additionally our state allocates a professional with an education/severe disabilities degree higher than a person without one. So some schools/facilities are forced to use their financial allotment from the state to hire two non certified people in lieu of one certified one. I’m not sure if that makes sense to those that don’t work in this field. What I’m trying to express to those that doubt, is that this facility was very likely operating within what their requirements were with staff to patient/student ratio. And anyone who thinks a facility can easily go above and beyond that requirement knows little about the system, because that requires additional funding that doesn’t exist. We’ve had elopers before and each facility is different. One school might say “don’t chase them because if they run and get lost we are liable because our chasing led them to running more.” Another school might say “we chase no matter what.” Until they get sued for chasing a kid who ran and got injured. It is a no win for anyone in today’s society. While I can’t speak for this facility, most people who show up and do their jobs each day do so because they want the best for their students/patients. Most staff are also well aware that sometimes those kids are much more self harming than paperwork shows. This is a sad situation in its entirety. It’s tragic. In my professional opinion, however, don’t lay blame until all the facts come out. Sometimes crisis can be avoided with a a little luck. I feel in this case anything that could have gone wrong did, and I don’t say that lightly. But do I think it was purposeful or a coverup? Not as of yet. I think it’s a horrible case of people following procedure and experience and having to make split second decisions without knowing all the facts or all the possible outcomes. Like a surgeon who makes a critical split second decision in the middle of a surgery, these people are generally doing the best they can given what they know and the parameters they have to work within.

Maybe there was a slight possibility the children were going to go outside so they were in winter boots “just in case.”

Maybe there was a slight possibility the children were going to go outside so they were in winter boots “just in case.”
You gave me another thought about it. Maybe she was upset that day because she wanted to play outside but they wouldn't let her because of the weather. She may have worn the boots to be defiant, and took off outside the first chance she had. I really don't think she expected it to be so cold after the weather they had the day or two before that, and was probably out there for a while before the adrenaline rush settled down and she realized how cold it was. MOO

You gave me another thought about it. Maybe she was upset that day because she wanted to play outside but they wouldn't let her because of the weather. She may have worn the boots to be defiant, and took off outside the first chance she had. I really don't think she expected it to be so cold after the weather they had the day or two before that, and was probably out there for a while before the adrenaline rush settled down and she realized how cold it was. MOO

That is the sad ending to this story if she somehow found herself lost out there....but I will still hold out a little more hope. And I'm not saying you are wrong, you're most likely right. And I thank you for breaking it to me gently. Us, if others feel similarly.

That is the sad ending to this story if she somehow found herself lost out there....but I will still hold out a little more hope. And I'm not saying you are wrong, you're most likely right. And I thank you for breaking it to me gently. Us, if others feel similarly.
If wishing made it so, we'd find them all alive and well. I'd love it if that were the case, but it happens way too seldom. I always try to prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. Don't give up as long as there's even a small sliver of hope. MOO

I've worked in one of these facilities. I lasted a year and a half as staff....most staff only last 6 months. Ours had zero electronic access. There was a school, and a residential area with different units based on age and sex. We had a number of runners, in fact it was almost daily. We only had walkie talkies, so it was a matter of first radioing other staff to chase the runner, and then if not located to call 911 so the police could help locate them. These facilities are not pleasant places. We used face up restraint techniques and "quiet rooms".
The facility I worked at is actually not isolated from the city which is pretty unusual. I do have to say though, I wouldn't blame a child for wanting to run. The children in these places have generally been through horrific life situations, throw them all together and it's hard to describe unless you have worked in one. You cannot however leave your particular unit to chase a runner, you have to call in other staff and it depends how much coverage there is on each unit. There were not any door alarms where I worked, it was not a lockdown facility....but it is easy to get momentarily distracted if other children are having issues, and then you get a runner.

Thank you for this info, it is very informative. It indicates a high burn-out rate for staff and therefore not likely a lot of long experienced staff. Restraint techniques are necessary and yet there are no door alarms, etc.? And children are known to run? I fail to understand the logic or lack of logic with that in such facilities.

When you mentioned restraint techniques, it reminded me of a case I had forgotten about where a girl about her age or younger died due to a restraint/hold. She was held too long and I do not believe it was face up. It came back to one particular worker for the most part after an investigation. He faced some type of charge, made a deal and if I recall, did little or no time at all, pled it down. The facility was looked into and given things to change and rechecked and the entire thing pretty much faded from the news. A small slap on the hand to both worker and facility and that was it. I believe his background was then looked into as well and I believe there were warning signs but I cannot recall precisely what. To their credit, the other employees I believe told the truth or for the most part at least. I believe the type of restraint was of much discussion too as to what was not to be used...

Not sure if I will be able to find the case but I will look. It was not a major MSM case to my knowledge.

Not saying such a thing happened here, it is just that I recalled it just now when reading about restraints such a thing happening before (NOT in SD). I also believe the girl was just a "day" visitor for school/counseling/help. It was heartbreaking.

I live with the hope that Serenity somehow made plans with an older released child or teen or someone and is alive. I feel it pretty unlikely though as they saw her head into the hills I believe is where it stands now.

Take a deep, relaxing, breath. There will be no attacks for highlighting the facts, as we know them.

Your number one question, that turned into three questions lol, was the staffing. The original details, if I recall correctly, were a 2 to 1 ratio. Where normally it could go to 4 to 1. A phone/smoke break could logically stay within the ratio (now changing to the 4 to 1) as per protocol. However, was this really sufficient to maintain safety levels? That's something the home will need to answer to.

Your number three question (I think?) would be concerning security, alarms, etc. I believe these have been covered previously as far as cameras (none/non-functional) and no alarms on doors. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Your number two, which started as number one, concerns our beautiful missing child. I know, all children are beautiful. A gift. And I believe we are not privy to any background information about this little lamb. Makes total sense, just frustrating to the details.

So, I hope my answers brought some clarity (?) to your questions. :) :)

LOL. You brought clarity as well as some calm. A nap also helped.

This case just burns me, I am trying very hard to not place blame without facts but it just seems like a window of opportunity to find her was lost. I have shared the facts of this case with others who do not follow on here as we do and it is the first reaction I receive as well, as well as some of the same questions many of us have and the remark that it just does not make sense... So it isn't just me (sometimes I wonder lol)...

Taking a calming breath... Thanks Jim :)

Question number four :) I wonder the same.

I just want to say that I really don't think the director lied or changed the story about when the 911 call was made, I think it was a mistake that a lot of people made. When the staff member said she had called for help right away, I think she meant she had called for other staff to come help but most of us assumed she meant she had called 911. The parts that aren't clear to me are - Did someone see her run outside or just out of the gym? Were the women in the car the last to see her or a staff member? Was she seen going north on the road, west into the hills, neither or both? Like so many others, why was she wearing snow boots in the gym? MOO

I see your thoughts with the calling for help but he actually, if media can be trusted, corrected what he said about when 911 was called and I believe admitted to the mistake.

Your other questions are ones I and I believe many others share as well.

Keeping my mind open, and hoping beyond hope for a miracle.

Going through the thread from the beginning. I have not gotten up to the realization of how much time TRULY elapsed before the staff called 9-1-1. This post jumped out at me! IMO this scenario is much better than a random pick-up. And covers the keeping warm & fed aspect. :)

This is what bothers me I think the most. A lot of time was lost before the first deputy even arrived or a search could be organized. The daylight hours were few left... Not blaming, just saying it may be too late for her (I HOPE, HOPE, HOPE not) but I hope this is reviewed and protocol changed if it contributed...

LOL. You brought clarity as well as some calm. A nap also helped.

This case just burns me, I am trying very hard to not place blame without facts but it just seems like a window of opportunity to find her was lost. I have shared the facts of this case with others who do not follow on here as we do and it is the first reaction I receive as well, as well as some of the same questions many of us have and the remark that it just does not make sense... So it isn't just me (sometimes I wonder lol)...

Taking a calming breath... Thanks Jim :)

Naps are good! Naps work IMVHO :) And I wish this little girl was able to take one, in the arms of her loving family. Like, today would work!

I do understand that the director did correct the timeline.

However, SD had such a huge jump-start on her rescuers. And the staff had visuals on her being outside. Brrrrr. And all of it breaks my heart. 9 years old.

ETA: Change 'tomorrow' to 'today' since it is today (Sunday) already :)

The staff member that was in the gym with other children saw her run out of the gym door which lead to a hallway inside the building.... Not outside...if this staff would have chased after Serenity it would have left the other children unattended so they could be looking for 3 missing kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsongirlfriend