Search Efforts by Family and Community Members

Search for missing Longwood University student enters second week
Posted 1:22 pm, March 9, 2015, by Alix Bryan, Updated at 01:38pm, March 9, 2015

[...]
Before she disappeared she sent several unusual text messages to her parents, police said. And her debit and credit cards were later found cut up.
Norfolk officers were out Friday going door-to-door talking with neighbors about the missing teen.
Is Anjelica Hadsell in danger? Family convinced missing teen taken against her will
By Joe Fisher Published: March 13, 2015, 10:30 pm Updated: April 6, 2015, 11:26 am

[...]
“I’d say she’s screaming ‘help,'” Wesley Hadsell said. “She wants someone to find her. She wants us to come get her.”

The desperate search into the Norview High School graduate’s disappearance is now in its eleventh day. Family and friends of missing 18-year-old Anjelica Hadsell say a big piece of their heart is missing.

More than 20 people were out searching for the teenager again Friday. Mr. Hadsell said her cell phone sent a signal from the area of Tidewater Drive near Thole Street in Norfolk.

[...]
Mr. Hadsell told 10 On Your Side police have recovered pieces of his daughter’s debit card and her jacket, which a neighbor said he saw Anjelica wearing the day of her disappearance. The Norfolk Police Department has not confirmed that information, but they did tell WAVY.com they are vetting all leads. Police say they have had detectives assigned to this case every day since it was reported.

Search for missing Longwood University student enters second week
Posted 1:22 pm, March 9, 2015, by Alix Bryan, Updated at 01:38pm, March 9, 2015

[...]
Before she disappeared she sent several unusual text messages to her parents, police said. And her debit and credit cards were later found cut up.
Norfolk officers were out Friday going door-to-door talking with neighbors about the missing teen.
Is Anjelica Hadsell in danger? Family convinced missing teen taken against her will
By Joe Fisher Published: March 13, 2015, 10:30 pm Updated: April 6, 2015, 11:26 am

[...]
“I’d say she’s screaming ‘help,'” Wesley Hadsell said. “She wants someone to find her. She wants us to come get her.”

The desperate search into the Norview High School graduate’s disappearance is now in its eleventh day. Family and friends of missing 18-year-old Anjelica Hadsell say a big piece of their heart is missing.

More than 20 people were out searching for the teenager again Friday. Mr. Hadsell said her cell phone sent a signal from the area of Tidewater Drive near Thole Street in Norfolk.

[...]
Mr. Hadsell told 10 On Your Side police have recovered pieces of his daughter’s debit card and her jacket, which a neighbor said he saw Anjelica wearing the day of her disappearance. The Norfolk Police Department has not confirmed that information, but they did tell WAVY.com they are vetting all leads. Police say they have had detectives assigned to this case every day since it was reported.

I would dearly love to know how WH knew AJ's phone "sent out a signal" from that area.

Where did he obtain this info that LE can't even get until they serve a warrant on the cell phone provider?
Had they already served the warrant, got the info back and called WH and told him about the ping?
Did WH call up her provider and say "hey, can you give me a list of pings on this number from March 1st until now?" and they just gave him that info?
Did AJ's phone send a message to someone that said "I'm in the Tidewater Drive near Thole street area"?

Very curious to hear WH's explanation of how he came upon this signal information and IF LE did already have info, why THEY weren't the ones searching the area?

Zach and his two daughters did a search of Tarralton Park the night of the 3rd.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?276008-VA-Anjelica-quot-AJ-quot-Hadsell-18-Norfolk-3-March-2015-12&p=11665748#post11665748
I searched with my other two daughters. Tarrallton park. Parked the car at north parking lot at Tarrallton. Talked with Jennifer. Police were called that night (3rd). Not sure off the top of my head. The girls and I searched from about 9p til 11p then I searched for a little while after, like behind Jennifer's house, which backs up to Tarrallton. It was very cold and I was worried she walked off, maybe having taken pills or other drugs (she doesn't have a history). I was worried she was cold and passed out. I told a couple officers during the police search on the first Sunday, but it doesn't matter that I searched because they still need to search for themselves and I could have missed something. It's just easier in the snow, because there would be footprints. By the time we decided to search, a lot of Anjelica's friends were searching. My gut told me to look in the park. That's where she would walk to. It's also where she might be taken if she was hurt. It's close and accessible.

God. It's hard going back through this story, knowing what we know now.

Hey, I know the Hadsells got a lot of criticism for doing searches on their own. Is this something that the family members would have been explicitly told not to do? It seems possible that someone(s) was trying to muddle the trail, but even if this was just overzealousness on the part of desperate loved ones, it seems ill-advised.

God. It's hard going back through this story, knowing what we know now.

Hey, I know the Hadsells got a lot of criticism for doing searches on their own. Is this something that the family members would have been explicitly told not to do? It seems possible that someone(s) was trying to muddle the trail, but even if this was just overzealousness on the part of desperate loved ones, it seems ill-advised.

I think at first, LE probably had no reason at all to think anything was truly amiss, or any foul play at all. ESPECIALLY if JH was as calm during the filing of the missing person's report as she was during her first interview (where she actually looked more like she was doing birthday event planning, than freaking out because her teenager daughter was missing, like most moms would be). So in that context, I don't think LE would have had any reason to advise the family not to do any searches out of concern for such things as contaminating evidence.

I think LE got very suspicious when family led searches seemed to produce items of AJ's. In the end, everything was opposite of where she rested. I hope this is a case where AJ is able to testify from the grave with dna evidence. She deserves for the truth to be revealed.

Her debit card was cut into pieces? And cut into so many pieces and scattered so it took a while to find all or most of it? Why do that if foul play is involved? I would think a criminal would leave her card intact somewhere hoping that someone would use it illegally and deflect the investigation away from themselves. I would like to know when that card was last used.

Looking at the area on a map, the intersection of Halprin Drive and E. Little Creek Road has some businesses - Dunkin Donuts, Walgreen's, Wedgewood Plaza Shopping Center. Maybe quite a few blocks to walk, but I'm wondering if she grew up there she might have walked it more than a few times so she is accustomed to walking over to that area. I would hope Norfolk PD has pulled videos from some of those businesses.

What is interesting, in hindsight, is that we have now learned that part of her debit card was cut in such a way that her entire name was left in one piece. Someone wanted that card found, and they wanted it to be very clear who that card belonged to, imo. Would a robber or abductor do that? I don't think so.

Bringing this over from the general discussion forum now closed

I heard that said before---but if that is true, how did nephbro end up being there to take a picture? If it is true that Texty was just walking home from work, saw the broken card and then DH suddenly popped up and took a photo---it would seem like even more of a set up than I thought.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...rfolk-3-March-2015-19&p=11720484#post11720484

Really good question ;) From the way it was described in the msm,

"AJ’s friend found her credit card laying on the street one block from her home, according to Mrs. Hadsell. She said the credit card was sliced in half." http://wavy.com/2015/03/04/norfolk-detectives-search-for-missing-18-year-old/

"During a search last Thursday, AJ's father says he found some broken pieces of her credit card less than a mile from their home. But still no sign of AJ. "We worked our way up to 7-Eleven on the normal path that we would leave on and they found three more additional pieces of the credit card, which doesn't say a whole lot. But does it?" asked Hadsell." http://www.13newsnow.com/story/news/local/mycity/norfolk/2015/03/12/he-search-for-aj/70226930/

"While searching AJ’s neighborhood, a family friend discovered AJ’s credit card cut up, and family members say her phone has been turned off since her disappearance." http://www.therotundaonline.com/news/analyzing-aj/article_c39f4d78-ddf9-11e4-a2e0-8b8f6b781ff2.html

Take your pick on who really found the card, how it was found (random "hey look, there's a piece of a credit card, let me pick it up and see who it belongs to, because that's what people do all the time when they see broken plastic cards on the ground" - as opposed to an actual organized search) and exactly where it was found. Oh, and why a family member just happened to be right there to take a pic of it being discovered.

There is also video of JH receiving a call about a card. It could be he called and DH dashed right over to take the pic.

>>Thursday afternoon the first week she was missing, I don’t know the dates I just know it was the first week that she was missing on Thursday. I got a call – I was at work out of town, not out of town, but an hour away. I wasn’t in my home residence, Norfolk home. But I was working and they called and said “so and so” found part of a credit card with her name. I didn’t ask questions at the time, rushed home whatever, the next day I organized a search party to search from my driveway up the road like you would be driving out of the neighborhood. --WH link>>

Rhetorical questions...where is this? Has a search been conducted at this "out-of-town, not out-of-town", not "Norfolk home" place an hour away?

Wow, playing catch up since the new threads have been opened and this statement was like a smack in the face. So where was he staying? My interpretation of this word salad is he had another home a hour away (Franklin)otherwise why would he specify Norfolk home.

Bringing this over from the general discussion forum now closed

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...rfolk-3-March-2015-19&p=11720484#post11720484

Really good question ;) From the way it was described in the msm,

"AJ’s friend found her credit card laying on the street one block from her home, according to Mrs. Hadsell. She said the credit card was sliced in half." http://wavy.com/2015/03/04/norfolk-detectives-search-for-missing-18-year-old/

"During a search last Thursday, AJ's father says he found some broken pieces of her credit card less than a mile from their home. But still no sign of AJ. "We worked our way up to 7-Eleven on the normal path that we would leave on and they found three more additional pieces of the credit card, which doesn't say a whole lot. But does it?" asked Hadsell." http://www.13newsnow.com/story/news/local/mycity/norfolk/2015/03/12/he-search-for-aj/70226930/

"While searching AJ’s neighborhood, a family friend discovered AJ’s credit card cut up, and family members say her phone has been turned off since her disappearance." http://www.therotundaonline.com/news/analyzing-aj/article_c39f4d78-ddf9-11e4-a2e0-8b8f6b781ff2.html

Take your pick on who really found the card, how it was found (random "hey look, there's a piece of a credit card, let me pick it up and see who it belongs to, because that's what people do all the time when they see broken plastic cards on the ground" - as opposed to an actual organized search) and exactly where it was found. Oh, and why a family member just happened to be right there to take a pic of it being discovered.

IMO...aGREED ...it does seem strange....who is telling this STORY correctly ?? There seems to be so many different versions from each person that found each piece....perplexing to say the least... JMO

Wow, playing catch up since the new threads have been opened and this statement was like a smack in the face. So where was he staying? My interpretation of this word salad is he had another home a hour away (Franklin)otherwise why would he specify Norfolk home.

Wow, that was an old post brought over! We have since discovered he was staying in a motel close to his "Norfolk home." Maybe there is somewhere else, as well. Interesting thought.

Not sure I can post the actual name, but he was staying in a hotel right up the street. He was working out of town in Franklin.

Not sure I can post the actual name, but it was a hotel right up the street.

ETA: Wait...what DID he actually say? Need to go look that up.
The link is copied in my first post. I really don't think he was referring to the motel since that is Norfolk and not a hour away.

I think at first, LE probably had no reason at all to think anything was truly amiss, or any foul play at all. ESPECIALLY if JH was as calm during the filing of the missing person's report as she was during her first interview (where she actually looked more like she was doing birthday event planning, than freaking out because her teenager daughter was missing, like most moms would be). So in that context, I don't think LE would have had any reason to advise the family not to do any searches out of concern for such things as contaminating evidence.

I disagree in that I've thought LE had him pegged since day one. they would have run his record right away and he really isn't a hard read. I mean, people that arent naive sympathizers can see his true character through his social media posts and interviews, imagine what he comes off like in person to experienced professionals, with his freaking eyelid tattoos. I'm so anxious for details to come out just to shut up his ridiculous supporters but mainly for JUSTICE FOR ANGELICA MARIE and Zach's sanity!!!

I would dearly love to know how WH knew AJ's phone "sent out a signal" from that area.

Where did he obtain this info that LE can't even get until they serve a warrant on the cell phone provider?
Had they already served the warrant, got the info back and called WH and told him about the ping?
Did WH call up her provider and say "hey, can you give me a list of pings on this number from March 1st until now?" and they just gave him that info?
Did AJ's phone send a message to someone that said "I'm in the Tidewater Drive near Thole street area"?

Very curious to hear WH's explanation of how he came upon this signal information and IF LE did already have info, why THEY weren't the ones searching the area?

This post kept me up last night. I did some research on the topic and here's what I came up with.

iPhones have the ability to be tracked by the main account holder via FindMyiPhone and the iCloud account. It is the only way to access anything like a Ping. What if this is what was being referred to?

I know parents track their kids this way via FindMyiPhone. You can also use the FindMyFriends feature, I believe.

Check this link out. I snipped this portion (however the entire thread is really interesting IMO)

This answer might be technically correct but isn't what mom is asking. The phone only shows the tracking icon for a few seconds during the moment that tracking happens and then turns off. If you go into find my iPhone and locate the phone, all total the icon will show on the phone for about 10 seconds, and only if this settings option is turned on. It does not "alert" him that she's checking and it's highly unlikely that he would notice unless he was staring at the phone the exact moment the location happened.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...on-know-im-using-find-my-iphone-when-i-log-on

SPECULATION:
What if AJ actually figured out something was up on her iPhone, in the time period leading up to her disappearance?

Even if that wasn't happening, there's always the possibility that if her iPhone was on a family plan, it could have been accessed on iCloud.

Food for thought.

:twocents:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STOP Colaborate and listen...... Your daughter is missing, but you're at work an hour away.... Not if it's MY daughter!!

I don't think LE was sharing any information with WH...nope...very doubtful. They may have told him some lies to see how he reacted, or accused him of things to see his reaction, but I just don't see LE telling WH anything like about pings or the investigation that was important. Nope... I think they had him pegged for what he is early on, and were leary of anything he said.

I don't think LE was sharing any information with WH...nope...very doubtful. They may have told him some lies to see how he reacted, or accused him of things to see his reaction, but I just don't see LE telling WH anything like about pings or the investigation that was important. Nope... I think they had him pegged for what he is early on, and were leary of anything he said.

I totally agree. And... wow this thread has slowed down considerably. I hope people aren't giving up. However, I know there seems to be nothing new, (but that post about the iphone was great). In any case, I guess we will have to see what happens when WH's court date comes along.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back