GENERIC HEADER NEWS MISSING PERSONS

LA Selonia Ophelia Reed, 26. Murdered/Raped by Husband & Neighbor. **Arrest*s* Hammond. 23 August 1987

Discussion in 'Resolved Cold Cases' started by PastTense, Jun 26, 2019.

1. PastTense

PastTense Well-Known Member

"Last Friday, 21st Judicial District Judge Charlotte Foster issued arrest warrants for Reginald Lathan Reed, 59, and Jimmy Ray Barnes, 60, after a Tangipahoa Parish Grand Jury charged both men with second-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder in a 1987 homicide – the butchering of Reginald Reed’s 26-year-old wife, Selonia Ophelia Smith Reed...

On a rainy Sunday morning, August 23, 1987 – police found Selonia Smith Reed’s car parked near John’s Curb Market, a convenience store on East Thomas Street, just three blocks from the police station and within walking distance of 1314 Apple Street – the house where Jackie met Jimmy Ray Barnes.

Inside the car, police found Selonia’s body slumped in the passenger seat, the handle of an umbrella visible between her legs. Before or after sexually assaulting her with the umbrella, her assailant beat her face profusely and stabbed her chest and neck a dozen times or more wielding an instrument slightly larger than a Phillips screwdriver."

Suspect in Selonia Reed murder may be in Atlanta

See also earlier posts by this author:
    Reginald Reed indicted in wife's murder • HL Arledge
    Selonia Reed case active, Reginald Reed indicted • HL Arledge

2. Queena

Queena Member

Horrible! I hope that they pay.

3. BlackCloud

BlackCloud Well-Known Member

Yeah me too...Lousiana has capital punishment...this case is really good "for the needles"

Blue Girl1991 and PayrollNerd like this.
  4. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

They both need a "little juice with their breakfast" in my opinion. My golly her poor family has to hear this grotesque detail.

Blue Girl1991 and BlackCloud like this.
  5. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

Article dated 6/22/19 with video at link.

Two indicted in 1987 cold case murder in Hammond

A Tangipahoa Parish Grand Jury returned a True Bill Indictment in the 1987 homicide of 26-year-old Selonia Reed.

Indicted for second degree murder and conspiracy to commit second degree murder were Reginald Reed Sr., 59, and Jimmy Ray Barnes, 60.

On August 23, 1987, the body of Selonia Reed was found inside of her vehicle in the parking lot of John’s Curb Market on East Thomas Street in Hammond.

“Recent developments and additional investigative work by law enforcement and further review of the case by the District Attorney’s Office resulted in the case being presented to the grand jury. We felt there was sufficient evidence for consideration and I am pleased with the indictments; said District Attorney Scott Perrilloux. We will continue the work to bring those responsible for the killing of Mrs. Reed to justice.”

6. Blue Girl1991

Blue Girl1991 Well-Known Member

Such a Horrible case, I am glad these evil monsters were caught,I hope they will suffer.
    Rest in peace Selonia, I hope you and your family will get justice .

I tried to find a picture of Selonia ,I read many articles but I couldn't find even one picture.

BlackCloud and PayrollNerd like this.