Sentencing and beyond- JA General Discussion #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked at the timeline for 2010 again, and the question of what MM said wrong fell into place.

The told MM what he said contradicted what she'd been telling her attorneys for the past year. One year earlier, in August 2010, the DT had finally been ordered to produce the original letters or to disclose the "source" of letters to JM. The told one story or another about that in sealed proceedings.

My guess is MM had just told the DT another version (or in part) about the how and why and when it was he claimed to have seen the original letters. Thinking it over, MM wouldn't have been allowed to testify about anything else relating to the letters. The evidentiary hearing on the 8th was about whether or not the letters could be authenticated. The experts couldn't say definitely. because they were working from copies.

The needed MM to authenticate the letters by saying he'd seen them. The letters were supposedly from TA to the ; being neither author or recipient, MM couldn't have testified about the content of the letters, much less be asked questions about "factual" discrepancies having to do with their content.

His testimony had to be about the provenance of the letters. Nurmi alludes to this,perhaps, in his book, saying that he asked her questions about who had access to the originals, how that came to pass, etc, and that she had answered him, but he couldn't divulge what she said because of attorney-client privilege.

When Nurmi saw those coded magazines he had to have realized not only was the trying to witness tamper, but that she was doing so to keep Matt's story consistent with the lies she'd told Nurmi a year earlier about MM and the letters.

I'm sure the magazines and message were intended for MM, and clearly he had told her DT something that contradicted what she had been saying since July-August 2010.

The August 8, 2011 evidentiary hearing was to be about the letters and only the letters, and MM was apparently set to testify. About the letters.

Nurmi wrote in his book that he went into that hearing intending to drop his opposition to JM's motion to keep the letters out, but was ambushed by the 's move to go pro per.

If Nurmi is being factual about his sudden willingness to drop the letters, me thinks it resulted from knowing his client was trying to tamper with MM's testimony... a bridge too far.

My point is I don't believe the problem the saw in July 2011 was the 2007 date on the pedo letter, a mistake that JM writes he observed early on.

First - thanks Hope for all the hard work, and to all the interesting comments! It makes things easier to follow - but it sure makes it easier to fall down the rabbit hole, lol!
'
Anyway, as I was reading through this, it occurred to me - maybe what MM 'f-d' up' was that he backed up her story - and said he saw her all upset and bruised in 2007..... when he wasn't supposed to have ever seen those letters (unless he had something to do with them). He was just supposed to be able to vouch that she was bruised when she said she was, so there would be no reason for him to get the year wrong...right? Just a thought.
Ooops, Nevermind - I see he was supposed to backup that she received them!

I've always thought the timing of her 'field trip' to get glasses was odd, as well - because the letters became a documented issue shortly afterward - although Nurmi seems to have said he received them shortly before her 'vision quest' - the timing is odd. Could be coincidence, but she's so sneaky. JMO

I don't think the needed the pedo lie or forged letters or lies about abuse or any other thing to make her feel 100% confident she would never be convicted. As trial watchers, reporters, TA friends and both JM and Nurmi have noted , her arrogance is such that she never questions her ability to make anyone believe anything

Her arrogance is monumental and she majors in over-confidence. Yet, something about the timing of her 'No jury will ever convict me" and "You can mark my words on that" on Inside Edition in 2008 resonates with me. Her explanation didn't ring true in court as to why she said it. It reminded me of her pre-emptive declaration that she had never been in Arizona and could prove it. Arias was rarely smart enough to play her best hand at the correct time. She often flagged her intentions up. That interview was after she was indicted for murder and after she had pre-arrest time to alter/write journal entries, in my opinion. Of course, it may have been just another bluff and this is just another theory. Someone helped her in the forgery process - if only by copying or some other favour (such as computer editing).

'
Anyway, as I was reading through this, it occurred to me - maybe what MM 'f-d' up' was that he backed up her story - and said he saw her all upset and bruised in 2007..... when he wasn't supposed to have ever seen those letters (unless he had something to do with them). He was just supposed to be able to vouch that she was bruised when she said she was, so there would be no reason for him to get the year wrong...right? Just a thought.

For some reason, I have the same recollection. That Matt was meant to back up her story about seeing bruising or abuse. That's what I thought the ****** up related to. Arias had been telling a different story for the last year.

First - thanks Hope for all the hard work, and to all the interesting comments! It makes things easier to follow - but it sure makes it easier to fall down the rabbit hole, lol!
'
Ooops, Nevermind - I see he was supposed to backup that she received them!

I've always thought the timing of her 'field trip' to get glasses was odd, as well - because the letters became a documented issue shortly afterward - although Nurmi seems to have said he received them shortly before her 'vision quest' - the timing is odd. Could be coincidence, but she's so sneaky. JMO

Nurmi clearly planned to have MM testify he'd seen bruises on the . He says in his book that what happened with the pedo letters meant he could not.

Again, the August 8-9, 2011 evidentiary hearing was only about the letters. Evidentiary as in, JSS having both sides present arguments about evidence--the letters-- and whether or not they could be authenticated. That's why JM put on his handwriting expert on the stand; the DT's was set to testify on the 9th but was displaced until the 15th by the 's damage control turn at pro per.

MM wasn't to testify about bruises. He was there to say he had seen the original pedo letters.

The only relevance bruises might have had, IMO, is if he said he saw the letters when he saw the bruises and somehow that didn't fit the timeline or story the had told all parties in August 2010 about the letters' provenance.

Hmm...about the timing of the field trip into Phoenix for her eye exam. The court order, though, specified special on site arrangements and minder- bodyguards. I think she was probably under closer scrutiny in the shop then she ever was at Estrella.

She bought other inmates' cooperation with commissary- maybe she used an inmate to get the letters out? It occurs to me she could have sent out scraps of paper bit by bit, for that matter, as the letters seem to have been cut and pasted with scraps of sentences....

Re Matt McCartney witnessing bruising, this reflects what I recall from court:

"Arias said that in early 2008, Alexander hit her in the neck while they were riding in his car. Martinez showed a diary entry describing the day they rode in the car, and there was no mention of physical violence.

"This entry does not corroborate what you told us happened in the car," he said. "With regard to the (choking incident) you didn't call police. You didn't tell anyone about it. There is no corroboration anywhere in your journal. All we have is your word. Are there photos? Any other writings? Is there a police report? Is there a medical report?"

Arias said there was no evidence that the alleged abuse happened, except for her testimony in court.

"There's no evidence because it didn't happen, did it ma'am?" Martinez yelled.

Arias said that she had told one person about the abuse she claims she suffered at the hands of Alexander, and that it was another ex-boyfriend, Matthew McCartney. But when pressed for details about the conversation in which she told him, Arias became confused and changed her answers.

"I saw (Matt) a few days later, and he called me out on the bruises," Arias testified.

"Where?"

"Over the phone, just days after I think," she said.

"Isn't it true he wouldn't have been able to see your injuries because you were talking over the telephone?"

"No, I was in Yreka (California) by then. I stopped to see Matt after I left Arizona. Let's see, I believe it was two or three days after. I'm not saying there was no telephone call, (but) it was at his house. I went and saw Matt, and some make-up wore off, and he confronted me on (the bruises)."

Martinez said that McCartney has denied the conversation ever took place."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jodi-arias-declares-shes-innocent-frist-degree-murder/story?id=18591150

Hope4More:

"MM wasn't to testify about bruises. He was there to say he had seen the original pedo letters"

Yes. I now remember reading this in the book by the Hughes. Matt was to testify to having seen originals of the pedo letters, bruising and other 'abuse'. Potential perjury charges meant that Arias could not use him to lie in court.

How and where she forged the letters, I'd like to know more about.

FWIW. The 48 Hours interview aired June 23, 2009. Not sure when it was actually filmed. The 's magazine code referred to an interview that went well, but the magazines were dated late July and early August and intercepted August 4.

The index cards she was using to practice forging TA's handwriting were seized several weeks earlier than JM's August 4 visit.

I think she was referring to content in one of the letters that MM had gotten wrong, not the date.

Air dates are usually at least 3 months after filming. I know this from MythBusters filming in my area.

Yep! MM wrote "2007" when in fact the correct date needed to be "2008" and he had to fix this ASAP as it contraindicated her prior date on interview. Hard to keep her lies straight- harder yet for her "tools" (MM).
I think MM realized he too was being played and got out. He posted on FB way back when that he has.a wife and family now and after that post went incognito. He probably figured out how appalling she was when she planned to use him and his roommate for some sort of alibi as she stayed at his house 6/2-3/08 and they went to a karaoke bar (where of course Ms Einstein stated she sang much better than anyone there). Another BPD trait -arrogance.

Oh of course in regards to her singing. Was it ever verified that she did sing the National Anthem??? Or was that another lie?

Linask, I wondered about that too. If she sang, why have we never seen any footage of it? I can't believe that Narcissist of The Century - Arias wouldn't have recorded this and let the world see her singing. Or no one in the audience recorded it? We saw her warble behind bars.

GinaG - Thanks. This looks like the perfect accompaniment to lunchtime cup of coffee. :clap:

https://behindthewordswithkim.wordpr...on-jodi-arias/

Hi TexMex. BTW how was the engagement party for your daughter? Did you meet the groom's family? I hope the weather held up. Thank goodness those floods have began to subside down there in the Great State of Texas.

Hi TexMex. BTW how was the engagement party for your daughter? Did you meet the groom's family? I hope the weather held up. Thank goodness those floods have began to subside down there in the Great State of Texas.

We've met the family a year ago and they are great. The young man is a great match for my sweet, smart and beautiful daughter.

I heard it said once:

Watching your daughter being collected by her date feels like handing over a million dollar Stradivarius to a gorilla.

It's so true. Even though I like the gorilla, he's my favorite gorilla but still...she's my little girl

The party was great. Cooked 8 briskets, charro beans, dirty rice. Drank beer and danced all night.
Wedding next May...

Did all of you hear the temp ..... Killer heat. I hope is enjoying the warmth she so deserves

Packing up to go to our River house on the Guadalupe for five days. Sun, food, tubing and fishing on the rivers. One night we will go to Gruene Hall and two-step a little. Gotta break in my new boots for the wedding party!
My little buddy is so excited to be going. Everything is so fun when you're six

Did all of you hear the temp ..... Killer heat. I hope is enjoying the warmth she so deserves
Well, word on the street (meaning the 's twitter account) is the inmate and some of her fellow prisoners have been without hot water to shower for 3 days! Just imagine the indignity of not being able to take a hot shower in Arizona, in June. :rolleyes:
:desert: :happydance:

Oh, and the inmate's 'book drive' has apparently concluded. I hope she received lots of Westerns!

Well, word on the street (meaning the 's twitter account) is the inmate and some of her fellow prisoners have been without hot water to shower for 3 days! Just imagine the indignity of not being able to take a hot shower in Arizona, in June. :rolleyes:
:desert: :happydance:

Oh, and the inmate's 'book drive' has apparently concluded. I hope she received lots of Westerns!

Where did you find out the "book drive" had been concluded? I hope she made a lot of other inmates rageful with her notion that her book drive was about helping them.

Hearing of the extreme heat ...even though I am hopeful the is experiencing it ... I don't wish it to be harming people in that area and hope they are able to find relief from it

It's supposed to be 120 in Phoenix over the weekend!
But didn't ' cell block get air conditioning this summer? A hot shower might not be such a hardship?
I'd be sleeping under a wet towel.....

Hey, has anyone calculated when ' commissary money is going to run out? This year sometime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288