Sentencing and beyond- JA General Discussion #9

Discussion in 'Travis Alexander Trial - The State vs. Jodi Arias' started by Coldpizza, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

I can do that for you - I'll use the article that you posted above as a start off.

I'll be right back with a link to the thread - give me about 5 minutes.... :)

2. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

3. pocketaccent

pocketaccent Well-Known Member

4. Colie

Colie Active Member

wonder if the new Court TV will show the Avarar Grewal trial?
    COURT TV

geevee, Niner, GarAndTeed and 3 others like this.
  5. Colie

Colie Active Member

the inmate will get a oral argument.
    upload_2019-5-26_21-45-5.png

6. Hope4More

Hope4More Well-Known Member

True that Nurmi spoon fed LaV case info, excluding much. But even Nurmi later admitted (in his bitter book) that LaV was disastrous for the defense. She was flat out unqualified to testify as the defense's key witness, not least because she was clearly incapable of viewing POS or the evidence with any objectivity.

7. Hope4More

Thanks for opening that thread. :)

BTW, the link you provide over there (about JM prosecuting Grewal's case) also leads to interesting info about JM's bar complaints & hints about whether or not his boss Bill Montgomery remains supportive.

*Looks like Montgomery formally disciplined JM over internal MCAO sexual harassment complaints, and that he did so BEFORE Karen Clarke filed her tawdry, ridiculous bar complaint against JM largely relating to sex sex sex.

*Montgomery's 5 page reply to those demanding that he resign (for " protecting" JM) is well worth reading, especially for his take down of Michael Kieffer (unnamed, but Montgomery is obviously referring to that t-wat).

*Montgomery clearly believes JM is being targeted because he is an effective DP prosecutor (I agree), not because of actual & actionable legal or ethical transgressions.

* Another key link included -and worth reading- is to the Bar's reasoning about why the Disciplinary Committee so quickly dismissed the (2017?) Complaint against JM that is now under appeal (the one the ACLU & others have piled onto).

Early on in the appeal, the AZ Supreme Court required the Disciplinary Committee to submit the legal basis/reasoning for their decision, which they were obligated to do as part of the original discplinary process, but hadn't.

From my reading of the Committee's reasoning, the defense bar is going to whiff yet again on having JM tarred & feathered, and the ACLU's ill-advised intervention will be for naught.

geevee, byo, RickshawFan and 4 others like this.
  8. RickshawFan

RickshawFan Well-Known Member

IMO, there are likely other instances of unprofessional sexually-problematic behavior on Montgomery's staff—this might be quite routine, in fact—we just don't happen to know about it, since personnel stuff is confidential. I say this because it may be in the personality of prosecutors to tend in this direction.

I feel like I'm white-washing sexual harassment, but this is a thought. I don't think we can make assumptions that this isn't more common than we know, in part because aggressiveness is in the DNA of prosecutors.

The media—and JA, who only ever thinks about sex—may be making this situation out to be unique, when it really isn't exceptional. It's just convenient for them.

I'm not saying the behavior is okay.....

9. Hope4More

Trial lawyers are, to generalize, overly self-confident, even egotistical. It goes with the territory.

JM has also played the starring role in multiple high profile cases. He's had legions of adoring fans, nationwide, who rave that he's brilliant, sexy, awesome.

He's human. I'd be surprised if he has remained entirely immune to that level of fame & flattery.

But, bottom line, yah. Of course his critics are trying to use what appears to be his workplace transgressions (whatever they are/are presented as being) against him. Throw it all against the wall, hope some sticks.

The "fact" that JM may have made a female colleague or underling uncomfortable in the workplace has absolutely nothing to do with with how he conducts himself as an attorney. And the AZ Bar has no business or right to police the conduct of attorneys outside their practicing of the law.

10. Hope4More

A general update on where POS's COA stands and what comes next.

1. Her appeal has been (randomly) assigned to Dept J, a panel of 3 judges.

2. The 3 judges will be/have been given the opening briefs written by POS's appellate attorneys & the appellate attorneys representing the State.

3. Her appeal will be scheduled on the Court's calendar, and at least one month ahead of when the judge's meet to review her appeal. The COA's calendar through much of July is already posted online. Her case isn't on the calendar yet.

4. The judges will hear oral arguments on the same day they meet in conference to review/discuss her case.

5. BOTH THE AUDIO & VIDEO OF ORAL ARGUMENTS ARE MADE PUBLIC. :). (usually within 48 hours; videos are posted to YouTube & oral recordings online ).

6. Appeals are typically resolved/decided on the same day they are discussed.

7. The panel's chief judge drafts a decision, then gives it to the other 2 judges to review. Each can make suggestions etc. about the draft & sign off, or choose to dissent.

8. Complex cases often mean a looooong time passes between a panel's conference and a completed written decision.

If (please no) POS's panel decides to use her case to establish new legal precedent/resolve existing conflicts in legal issues revelant to her appeal, the wait will be long indeed, as every single COA judge will be brought into the process of writing a formal opinion.

9. The COA has extended the time it sets as a goal to clear a criminal appeal (from filing date through written decision): their goal now is 600 days, and in 2018, that goal was met in 95% of their criminal appeals.

(POS's notice of appeal was filed 4/30/2015; the appeal itself was filed 5/7/2015. So, heck, the COA is running ahead of schedule on her appeal. Who knew? ;)).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Only4Justice, GarAndTeed, byo and 6 others like this.
  11. geevee

geevee Well-Known Stickie

Woohoo Hope is back and we'll get to see the oral arguments! It doesn't get much better than that. :D

Only4Justice, GarAndTeed, byo and 3 others like this.
  12. Hope4More

((We need a few more sisters of other misters to have a true reunion. Perhaps here, on Appeal Denial Day?))

Correction to my dismally incorrect note that the COA is running ahead of their 600 day completion schedule for appeals....

Basic math: It has been 4 years since POS's appeal was filed (rounded off).

* 4 years= 1,460 days. And counting.
    * 1,460 is muy ( > ) than 600.
    * The COA is muy behind schedule.

13. geevee

geevee Well-Known Stickie

I'll bring the balloons! :D

What's a mere 860 days? She can do that standing on her head. lol