Shannan Gilbert's 23 Minute 911 Call #2

JazzCPK

Reaction score
John Ray's tape is not the same one played Friday, as implied by John Ray at his press conference, and I believe him. I don't know how the tapes differ, just that it's a big story that they do differ. It could be the biggest story involving the release of the tape, even if there's a relatively benign explanation for it, and with no additional hypothetical examples forthcoming.

I can't imagine that John Ray is talking about a different tape. The released audio of the 911 call is exactly 22 minutes and 42 seconds long. When we look at Shannan's call log, we see that 911 call, placed at 4:51am, using 23 minutes. Phone logs only show minutes (not seconds) and round up. So, the most that we could (potentially) have omitted is roughly 18 seconds of missing audio.

The call does end rather abruptly, so perhaps there was something at the tail end that we are missing, but I think the main takeaway is that John Ray over exaggerated his claims that this 911 call would be some smoking gun. He spent the last few years talking this call up, and promising it shows irrefutable proof that Shannan was murdered. The call was finally released (perhaps also not something he ever expected), people are not hearing definite proof of anything, so now he's covering his tracks.

SecretAgentMan

Reaction score
I can't imagine that John Ray is talking about a different tape. The released audio of the 911 call is exactly 22 minutes and 42 seconds long. When we look at Shannan's call log, we see that 911 call, placed at 4:51am, using 23 minutes. Phone logs only show minutes (not seconds) and round up. So, the most that we could (potentially) have omitted is roughly 18 seconds of missing audio.

The call does end rather abruptly, so perhaps there was something at the tail end that we are missing, but I think the main takeaway is that John Ray over exaggerated his claims that this 911 call would be some smoking gun. He spent the last few years talking this call up, and promising it shows irrefutable proof that Shannan was murdered. The call was finally released (perhaps also not something he ever expected), people are not hearing definite proof of anything, so now he's covering his tracks.

I concur.....

DetectiveB

Reaction score
I've read or seen that Gus Coletti's call to 911 came in around 5:22am?
Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't that make Shannan's call longer than 22-23 minutes, more like 30+ mins if she first called at 4:51?
Maybe I am missing something or Coletti's call/ info reported incorrect or at a different time.

JazzCPK

Reaction score
I've read or seen that Gus Coletti's call to 911 came in around 5:22am?
Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't that make Shannan's call longer than 22-23 minutes, more like 30+ mins if she first called at 4:51?
Maybe I am missing something or Coletti's call/ info reported incorrect or at a different time.
Shannan's we know, for a fact, was at 4:51am and 22-23 minutes long, just because we do have access to her actual phone records. I'm not sure when Coletti's call came in and I am having trouble finding a source for a time, but I'll keep looking!

sunshineray

Reaction score
At 19:49 dispatch says “there’s a shield on the car” why is nobody talking about this
I mentioned it, heard it on my first listen to the 911 but I thought it was Shannon saying it. Someone corrected me and said it was the operator. Maybe they were discussing her not knowing who to trust if a police car was sent?

Betty P

Reaction score

In his defense, Ray lists a lot of other conflicting evidence & statements from LE about SG's death. The length of her 911 is just one of many problems with the LE investigation.

Similar issues with 911 tapes exist in the Rebecca Zahau death investigation that still haven't been explained over 11 yrs later. Incriminating evidence can exist in a few seconds of deleted recording. There's also the conflicts between SG's behavior, voice, etc. on the recording vs. LE's description of the same.

IMO, The biggest red flag in this investigation is PH and his multiple phone calls to SG's mother and LE, admitting that she was at his home and he gave her medication of some sort, etc. All are extremely obvious signs of a criminal inserting himself into an investigation of a missing person. Who does that?

Last edited:

PingTheRouter

Ghetto Superstar
Staff member
Youtube Admin
Reaction score
I mentioned it, heard it on my first listen to the 911 but I thought it was Shannon saying it. Someone corrected me and said it was the operator. Maybe they were discussing her not knowing who to trust if a police car was sent?

yeah i was wondering if they were trying to get an unmarked unit out there, maybe like you said it would spook her less
to me the more interesting part of this is that both BAU in Quantico and an independent Psychiatrists both listened to this tape and both came away with the final assessment that it wasn't a violent crime, i get people not trusting Suffolk County PD but Quantico has no dog in this fight so to speak

Last edited:

fred&edna

Reaction score
yeah i was wondering if they were trying to get an unmarked unit out there, maybe like you said it would spook her less
to me the more interesting part of this is that both BAU in Quantico and an independent Psychiatrists both listened to this tape and both came away with the final assessment that it wasn't a violent crime, i get people not trusting Suffolk County PD but Quantico has no dog in this fight so to speak

Quantico didn't do any favors in the Colonial Parkway murders, either. IIRC they had DNA (from the Thomas and Dowski murders) that went untested for a number of years. But, then again, maybe they did have a dog in that fight? 'Just sayin'.

imo

PingTheRouter

Ghetto Superstar
Staff member
Youtube Admin
Reaction score
Quantico didn't do any favors in the Colonial Parkway murders, either. IIRC they had DNA (from the Thomas and Dowski murders) that went untested for a number of years. But, then again, maybe they did have a dog in that fight? 'Just sayin'.

imo
i just don't know enough about the Colonial Parkway murders to give you a reply, its not a case iv ever looked at myself

my PM's are always open to everyone you can shoot me one if you want and explain what the cross over is here

fred&edna

Reaction score
i just don't know enough about the Colonial Parkway murders to give you a reply, its not a case iv ever looked at myself

my PM's are always open to everyone you can shoot me one if you want and explain what the cross over is here

I think I simply have a general distrust for any officials related to Gilgo/SG case/s. So, my comment about the Colonial Pkwy murders doesn't really apply. No worries.

JazzCPK

Reaction score
In his defense, Ray lists a lot of other conflicting evidence & statements from LE about SG's death. The length of her 911 is just one of many problems with the LE investigation.

With the release of Ray's court-submitted 911 tape transcript, we can put to rest the idea that Ray was talking about a different recording. The transcript submitted as evidence in his motion to release the call (October 2020) matches the contents of the SCPD released audio exactly. It also begins/ends at the same points.

WINDSOR

Reaction score
Ping the Router said, "to me the more interesting part of this is that both BAU in Quantico and an independent Psychiatrists both listened to this tape and both came away with the final assessment that it wasn't a violent crime,"

What was not a violent crime? The events prior to and during the 911 call. I agree.
What happened after the 911 call ended? I am not so sure

What were the BAU and Psychiatrists actually describing as not a violent crime?

JazzCPK

Reaction score
Ping the Router said, "to me the more interesting part of this is that both BAU in Quantico and an independent Psychiatrists both listened to this tape and both came away with the final assessment that it wasn't a violent crime,"

What was not a violent crime? The events prior to and during the 911 call. I agree.
What happened after the 911 call ended? I am not so sure

What were the BAU and Psychiatrists actually describing as not a violent crime?

Not OP, but this was the official statement as per BAU's assessment:

BAU’s opinion, based on their review of the case, the scene, the 911 calls and the psychiatrist’s review of the case is that Gilbert’s death is not consistent with her being the victim of violence or of a violent offender.

DetectiveB

Reaction score
Shannan's we know, for a fact, was at 4:51am and 22-23 minutes long, just because we do have access to her actual phone records. I'm not sure when Coletti's call came in and I am having trouble finding a source for a time, but I'll keep looking!

DetectiveB

Reaction score
"Then she runs out the door. Gilbert's 911 call ends.

That's when Colletti calls 911. It was 5:22 a.m. The neighbor said Gilbert was "running around here screaming and there's some guy trying to follow her."

The man following her was her driver, Pak. Colletti saw them near the gate to exit the Oak Beach Association. He told 911 he'd keep watching until officers arrived."

Betty P

Reaction score
With the release of Ray's court-submitted 911 tape transcript, we can put to rest the idea that Ray was talking about a different recording. The transcript submitted as evidence in his motion to release the call (October 2020) matches the contents of the SCPD released audio exactly. It also begins/ends at the same points.

There are many other reasons to question, many other problems with evidence that Ray has discussed that indicate SG died under suspicious circumstances. I've listed some of them already. Minutiae over seconds on the 911 call are not part of that. The questions haven't been answered. The conclusion logically needs to be questioned. JMO

JazzCPK

Reaction score
"Then she runs out the door. Gilbert's 911 call ends.

That's when Colletti calls 911. It was 5:22 a.m. The neighbor said Gilbert was "running around here screaming and there's some guy trying to follow her."

The man following her was her driver, Pak. Colletti saw them near the gate to exit the Oak Beach Association. He told 911 he'd keep watching until officers arrived."

If this reporting is accurate, then it's interesting that he waited so long to make his own call. I'll have to re-read some of the depositions and affidavits to see if this has been previously addressed.

JazzCPK

Reaction score
There are many other reasons to question, many other problems with evidence that Ray has discussed that indicate SG died under suspicious circumstances. I've listed some of them already. Minutiae over seconds on the 911 call are not part of that. The questions haven't been answered. The conclusion logically needs to be questioned. JMO
I agree. My point is that we can know definitively that the 911 calls are not part of that. It has been speculated that Ray listened to a different recording, or the released SCPD call was somehow edited or altered. At least those claims can be laid to rest.

Girlinterrupted

Reaction score
The 911 call is not in it's entirety.

There is no disconnect at the end.
The last thing we hear is a dispatcher trying to spell out Shannan's last name.

In one podcast (sorry, I can't remember which one since they all rushed to push out their hot hot takes), the hosts try to claim that the operators are actually discussing another call altogether while simultaneously on the phone with Shannan. They use this assertion a number of times to explain away different abnormalities in the call (the mention of a 631 telephone number, the mention of a car with a shield number).
For my purposes Im particularly highlighting when the operator says "D-O-P-E-R-T". (The podcast conveniently has no comment when the operator continues "She didn't spell it but that's what it sounded like.")
This is a laughable and truly misleading by that podcast.
The operators are STILL talking about Shannan GILBERT (which the operator heard incorrectly).
This is the last WE hear.

Do you hear a disconnect?
Go check.
Or do you hear a cessation of further audio.

We've been given constant 911 operator banter throughout this call.

Everything said in that call by responders is pertaining to Shannan.
When she is transferred to State multiple responders are working on her call.
At 9:27 a new operator is heard (maybe a supervisor).

When I first listened to the call I was furious with this particular operator. As many have commented, she sounds slow, out of it, almost like she herself is drugged.

But we know, this is not how a 911 call goes. Operators are alert and speak with urgency. At every moment of this call they are trying to find some sort of location on Shannan. They even bring up calling a 631 house phone (which when I searched came up as being a "Special Services Landline". I have no idea what that means or if it's pertinent. Maybe someone else does.)
At no point do the operators take away their attention from Shannan. So much that a second operator (older sounding, possibly more experienced) comes to assist. You can hear them talking to eachother saying "She needs help" at one point.
The operators are so much a part of this call that it becomes hard to hear what's being said because they are talking away from their headsets at some points trying to come up with a plan.
At the end of this call, a call in which an operator has said "Hello? Hello?" dozens of times, the call simply ends?

No.
No it does not and it would take a tremendous amount of suspension of disbelief to sit fine with that.

The operator that comes on at 9:27 sounds slow and groggy because the call is slowed down.
I listened to it at 1.25x speed.
What I heard at 1.25 made much more sense.
It makes the 911 operator side of the call make sense.
Instead of sounding like some woman at last call slurring "whutsssamattahhhh shaaaanaaan" the operators speak with urgency. No slurring.
(In fact alot of the slurring and incoherence is removed from both the caller and operator).
You can also hear how fast Shannan was actually running - which would account for why she was so completely out of breath by the time she gets to Colletti's. She's not yelling help me when he opens the door. She can barely get 3 words out. "I. Need. Help"
At the same time, the birds do not sound distorted (which you would assume they would if you sped it up).

The call is not in its original format.

I listened at 1.25x and it was 18 min 3 seconds long.

Where is the disconnect?

After so much of this call is dominated by operators, we don't hear them asking if Shannan's still there?
Or if she disconnected would we not hear them say that to eachother.
Remember, by the end of this call there's the original state operator plus one that seems to have sat down with her.
But not a peep from either of them. Just the end.
The call is not in its original form.
I believe @PreciousDust stated this days ago.
I'm not a sound technician so i cant tell if the speed is manipulated throughout the entire call or at what speed. It could be different speeds at different times.
That leaves multiple minutes unaccounted for.
I'm not a John Ray fan. But go back and listen to how he answers the questions about the call and ask yourself if it makes more sense within this context.
And listen to the call at different speeds.
1.25x, 1.20x, 1.18x etc.

We would've heard a "Hello? Hello? Shannan? Are you there?" and likely the operator saying that they lost the call. Not just a clean cut.

I'd very much like to know what was contained in the remaining multiple minutes of that call.