Shelf Issue

While it would be very entertaining and I personally would like to see such a demo with shelves, I sure don't want anything to derail the trial or cause an issue that could result in an appealable appellate issue. They've already proven premeditation 3 times over so don't need it for a conviction. But yes, I'd still like to see it for my own selfish reasons.

Good points, Madeline...

If demos of the impossibility of the shelves being used as a springboard for Jodi's gymnastics are not needed to seal her fate... Then I wouldn't want to derail this already long trial...

However... I, too, would like to see it for my own "shelf-ish" reasons! :giggle:

They remind me of the shelves that came with the apt my boyfriend and I just moved into. I'm 5'7 and 114 lbs. I don't think I can stand on them. Anyone want me to take pics? Don't judge me on how clean my closet is lol. It's not holding shoes though, it has his clothes because we traded the dresser and half the walk in closet for those shelves. He wanted them for his clothes.

While it would be very entertaining and I personally would like to see such a demo with shelves, I sure don't want anything to derail the trial or cause an issue that could result in an appealable appellate issue. They've already proven premeditation 3 times over so don't need it for a conviction. But yes, I'd still like to see it for my own selfish reasons.

I kind of feel the same way. The only way I would want to see it at the trial is if it absolutely physically impossible to do what she says - i.e. if something in the shelf design makes it 100% definite that the shelf would collapse right away (and if it can't be blamed on wear and tear).

I think if the defense wants to preclude all the testing immediately it's actually likely that it's absolutely impossible.

I did try to test her story of standing on a lower shelf (bookshelf in my case) and grabbing something off the top shelf *without holding on to anything* and that IS physically impossible if the shelves are right on top of the other.

Dexter did it all the time and he was supposedly a genius lol.

I don't think this motion necessarily means there will be an in - court shelf demo. It doesn't seem to be Juan 's style and runs the risk of backfiring. The way I see it is Juan is going to put an expert on the stand to discuss the tests they did and whether or not Jodi's version could have even possibly happened. I think Juan does need to stick to premeditation but proving this aspect of her story wrong is huge. It negates the self defense claim. It negates that Travis had a gun. It negates basically her entire version of events June 4th. If I were a juror I'd throw out her entire testimony at that point.

Maybe I'm overconfident about the trial so far, but there's a part of me that really doesn't want to see a shelf demonstration.

Even if the prosecution gets to show that a 120 pound woman will tip or break the shelf under most circumstances, the defense will be allowed to try to counter that assertion. They'll find a way for a 120 pound gymnast to perform a toe-balancing, leaping grab and make it look like Jodi could have accomplished the same thing. Even if it messes with the nice, orderly shelves they'll claim that Foggy Jodi straightened up.

They have enough for premeditation in my opinion, and after that the rest doesn't matter. I hope JA builds his rebuttal around the stolen gun, the gas cans, the witnesses who "misspoke" and then recanted about her destination, and her inconsistent story about where it happened. Even their expert psychologist doesn't have to do much more than spend an hour testifying about how sloppy both defense experts were.

Leave the closet issue alone. Once you prove that the planning and the lies started before June 4th and that, by Jodi's own admission, Travis didn't have a gun, the rest is moot.

Yea but..
If the evidence is there and admissable, why would JM take the chance and not present it to the jury..

We all know for a fact he does not want what happened in the CA trial..

There, the prosecution failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.
They did not present enough evidence.

And the unimaginable happened....
CA walked.

Do any of us want this evil thing free to walk & stalk the streets?

I think not.

The shelf issue is back. Did the state prove its point about the shelves?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back