Sheriff Joe's Deputies vs. Reporter

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by FLMom, Jun 13, 2008.

1. FLMom

FLMom Former Member

Arpaio's thugs threaten to arrest a New Times reporter for looking at public records

By Ray Stern

How close did I come to getting arrested by Maricopa County sheriff's deputies today? As Maxwell Smart would say, "Missed it by that much."

The problem: I had the nerve to want to look at the same public records that sheriff's deputies were scouring at the City of Phoenix public records counter.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2008/06/arpaios_thugs_threaten_to_arre.php

2. Loading...

3. Betty P

Betty P Active Member

It's pretty shocking that a Sheriff was able to arrest reporters simply for, reporting news. But he did and now the taxpayers have to pay to bail him out.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/24270336/officials-to-again-mull-lawsuits-against-arpaio

4. Cherry

Cherry Pie

I'm curious was he voted in and then continually voted into office or appointed? I DK how they do things in this state, but he needs to go.

5. Karmady

Karmady Former Member

Elected. Over and over and over again.

6. Betty P

Betty P Active Member

Well, I guess they're getting the government they deserve. :facepalm:

I know I wouldn't want to be a taxpayer there, funding millions of dollars to pay for this guy's fines and settlements. :twocents:

7. animlzrule

animlzrule New Member

I have friends there who are absolutely mortified every time this (self edit) little man does something outrageous. I get their messages, "We're not all like that REALLY!!!!!!" :facepalm:

8. Karmady

Karmady Former Member

Well, it's just the Sheriff, not the entire government. Janet Napolatano was the Governor a few years ago. But they're definitely getting the Sheriff they want, and have for years, regardless of whether he is or isn't what they deserve.
    jmo