Ship buried in 18th century unearthed at WTC site

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Dark Knight, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

NEW YORK – Workers excavating at the World Trade Center site have unearthed the 32-foot-long hull of a ship likely buried in the 18th century.

The vessel probably was used along with other debris to fill in land to extend lower Manhattan into the Hudson River, archeologists said.

Archeologists Molly McDonald and A. Michael Pappalardo were at the site of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on Tuesday morning when workers uncovered the artifacts.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100715/ap_on_re_us/us_ground_zero_buried_ship

2. Loading...

3. LiveLaughLuv

LiveLaughLuv New Member

Thanks DK...I wonder if there are any identifying names on that hull...or if NYS recorded what ship was used for this. They put some old trains in the Hudson a few years ago to help with the creatures for habitation...great find! JMHO

4. joeskidbeck

joeskidbeck Rest in Peace

Thanks, DK. I love history and this is a major find in my opinion. My hope is that they will publish some photos after they get it unearthed.
    Thanks again,
    Becky

5. lizzybeth

lizzybeth Active Member

Thanks DK, I love reading about things like that. I can't believe some of the comments after the article. Well, yes I can.

Anyway, I'm anxious to hear what else they find (I was for some especially excited about the anchor...not sure why they would bury that too) and hopefully some pictures, even if they don't have any large parts of the ship.

6. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ New Member

Great find! I hate when they write articles like this and include no pictures! Would have loved to see even a wide shot of the area

7. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

I know, Yahoo is horrible when it comes to including photos!!! I hate it, too.

Glad everyone enjoyed the story, though! :)

8. legalmania

legalmania Verified Paralegal

I wonder if they knew it was there when they began to build the buildings? I wonder if they are still trying to recover all the precious metals, although they report they have found all of it , I just wonder if they did?

9. Indianagirl

Indianagirl New Member

10. Elphaba

Elphaba Defying Gravity...

Ohhhhhhh, this is the kind of stuff that makes me watch Time Team... digging up surprises from the past is always interesting to me. (though, it is sad that finding this ship is a product of a tragic event, but still it is very interesting that they found it.)

11. legalmania

legalmania Verified Paralegal

12. STEADFAST

STEADFAST New Member

13. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

14. Varye

Varye New Member

That's awesome. I love surprises like this.

15. gaia227

gaia227 I have never taken any exercise except sleeping an

Thanks for posting! I saw this on the news this morning - what a cool surprise. Too think it has been under there all these years.

I have been reading a novel called "New York; A Novel' which is essentially the history of NYC from the first Dutch settlers up through 9/11. It is obviously very long, but very engaging. I am currently reading about 18th Century NY so this find is very timely. Anyone interested in non-fiction - 'Gotham' is a great history of the city as well.

16. drew

drew Member

gaia
    I'm loving the book, New York A Novel. It is the first book I downloaded to my kindle.
    I immediately thought of it when I read they found an 18th century ship buried in Manhattan.
    Thanks everyone for the links to this fascinating story.