Shrimp boat captain delivers cook's baby

Discussion in 'News that makes you smile!' started by JanetElaine, Aug 30, 2007.

1. JanetElaine

JanetElaine Well-Known Member

This story made me all weepy in a good way:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/30/shrimp.boat.birth.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

FREEPORT, Texas (AP) -- When the cook on his shrimp boat went into labor 30 miles offshore, captain Ed Keisel grabbed a new roll of paper towels and a first aid handbook and did the best he could.
    He successfully delivered Cindy Preisel's baby boy, even though the baby's feet emerged first.

The captain sounds like an awesome guy, I almost think he deserves a medal for this.

Only thing I'm wondering is if she knew she was near her due date or not, and if yes why she was offshore so far.... but I don't want to ruin a perfectly good story by being (too) critical. :)

2. Loading...

3. angelmom

angelmom The love stays...forever in our hearts

So glad this baby is okay! It says she wasn't due until mid-September, so she probably thought she could get through the week at least. Who knew Labor Day would come early?

This captain is a real hero.

4. JanetElaine

JanetElaine Well-Known Member

LOL They must have added that in between me putting the link in my notebook and posting it. It wasn't there before, I swear!

My DD was born 14 days early and it went faster than anything. I was putting her crib together by myself the day before I went into labor... at 3 a.m. She was born at 11 am. I never had any sign she was coming until I sat up in bed straight that night with contractions 3 minutes apart.

Anyway, I wasn't criticizing really, just curious... This captain rocks!

5. Glow

Glow Active Member

That was one very lucky baby. Breech births can be very difficult. It sounds like this captain had a 'boatload' of common sense!