Side Scan Sonar (Sound Navigation And Ranging) search explained

I figured I would start a thread on this since there is so much bickering between Tim and Padilla.. Yes, Tim used this device in the search for Caylee... Now, most share the success of the sonar devise as yes it is a wonderful useful device. But, there is more to it, it's not all cut and dry.... Mistakes can be made, body's sometimes are not found, items that look like trash and boulder will show up, what is beneath or in them will not for the most part. So, here is the post and all that can share creditable information please do... There is always a positive and negative to all of today's technology. I see why Padilla wants to dive the river and other areas, I see his reason and hope that all will understand why by educating ourselves. The media does not report everything, and people tend to paint a certain picture of how things are being done....

While doing a bit of research this technique is very useful in finding drowning victims and other. I also have heard and read that at times "things can be missed" and that is why a good dive team and a thorough search should be conducted. At times they see a boulder or other objects, but "without going into the water and pulling the objects out there is no way knowing for sure what is in the package or other"

I had followed the Peterson case and I did remember reading about them using side scan sonar and also read where at times you can miss things in the water.

In The Search for Laci Peterson

UW: What do you look for in the data as telltale signs that you might have found a body? What other
objects are most often mistaken for bodies with sonar searches?
GR: Accidental drowning victims are very distinctive and generally quite easy to identify. We can usually
see arms, legs, and torso. Homicide victims, however, depending upon how they may be "packaged," are a bit more difficult to identify. Quite often they will not display arms or legs, and may be found lying in a variety of positions because of objects attached to them.Also, in homicide cases, it is very critical to
have an idea of what you are looking for, otherwise, nearly every "out-of-place" object is a potential target of interest.In another homicide case, an ROV was sent down to recover the victim.

The object appeared to be a large boulder in the video from the vehicle, so the ROV operator moved on. After awhile, the agent in charge told the ROV operator to return to the "boulder" and bump into it. It moved - it was not a boulder!

UW: What are the biggest factors in a body search of this type being successful?
GR: Having accurate location information is essential to minimize the search area. Calm water conditions are also a great benefit. Surface wave action from wind or passing boats can cause smearing of the side scan images and render them worthless.

Of course, the bottom conditions are also important. A smooth, clean bottom with no trees, large boulders, or other debris that can hide the object you are looking for is very desirable.

UW: Let's talk about equipment. What exactly did you use on the Laci Peterson search?
GR: We used a customized Marine Sonic Technology side scan sonar. We have a custom-made stainless steel tow body for the 600 kHz transducer. The tow fish is six feet long and weighs about 130 pounds. The extra length makes it more stable and, consequently, the images are better. The
heavier weight allows us to work in deeper water with less cable.This setup requires the use of a powered hoist to deploy the system. Our hoist has a variable speed electric motor with a remote control and is also equipped with a slip clutch to prevent cable breakage if the tow fish snags on something underwater. We also used an aluminum tow body for the shallow water in San Francisco Bay. The lighter weight of the aluminum gave us greater layback and tended to somewhat de-couple the towfish from boat pitch and heave due to surface wave action.

UW: Do you use different units for different searches, why or why not?
GR: We use the aluminum tow body when we have to air freight the equipment and use a boat of opportunity. We have lower and higher frequency transducers available for use in searching for larger or smaller objects. The 600 kHz frequency is the best all-around frequency for most of the underwater
searches we have conducted.

http://www.findlaci2003.us/sonar-gene-ralston.html
Thank you for that! Of course, Laci was a full grown woman and Caylee a tiny tot so I would think that that in and of itself would make it harder to find her via any means.

And Scott Peterson sits on death row in San Quentin and KC sits in prison in Florida . . . why do people think they can get away with this crap all the time? I can't say 100% that KC killed Caylee but I can say 100% that Scott killed his pregnant wife, a premeditated act, and could have opted for divorce but there was that little thing called a baby that was coming along to ruin his day and his life so, hey, divorce wasn't the answer for him. I don't know if what happened to Caylee was an accident or an act or rage or punishment towards CA but if it was an accident, then the cover-up is worth her sitting on death's row and if it was an act of rage or punishment, then there will be a special place on death's row for KC and sorry for your luck, KC, but there are no bars in jail like the bars you knew before Caylee "went missing."

How Side Scan Sonar Works
http://www.tritech.co.uk/products/info/products-info-sidescan_sonars.htm

The bag and bricks/concrete whatever were under the Silt/Mud. Side Scan Sonar only sees what is on top of the bottom nothing underneath the silt. In certain streams even here in South Carolina if you step out into the water the mud will come up to your waist.
If you throw a rock on the bottom it will sink into the mud and be hidden. If I threw a backpack full of rocks into one of those streams it would be invisible to sonar within a couple of hours. Side Scan itself doesn't relate to anything except it has a wide beam of sound echo that takes a larger digital image of the bottom.

If something small as a child was weighted down especially after those storms in the area she could be under several feet of silt and even be several miles away.

Side-scan Sonar (Sound Navigation And Ranging) is capable of producing an image of (lost) objects that are lying on the bottom underwater or floating in the water. Objects that are almost completely buried in the bottom with only small parts sticking out of the botttom can be located. To locate or image objects that are completely buried in the bottom or have no parts sticking out, the side-scan sonar is not appropriate.

FORGOT TO LIST MY SOURCE: http://www.abc.se/~pa/mar/sidescan.htm

READ THIS PAGE ABOUT VOLUNTEER SEARCHERS, WORKED LACI P. CASE: http://gralston1.home.mindspring.com/Sidescan.html
Yes, Gene Ralson used his side sonar to help find Laci. Whether he actually did see her or not is still debatable. Side Sonar would NOT find anything under the silt.

Thank you for that! Of course, Laci was a full grown woman and Caylee a tiny tot so I would think that that in and of itself would make it harder to find her via any means.

And Scott Peterson sits on death row in San Quentin and KC sits in prison in Florida . . . why do people think they can get away with this crap all the time? I can't say 100% that KC killed Caylee but I can say 100% that Scott killed his pregnant wife, a premeditated act, and could have opted for divorce but there was that little thing called a baby that was coming along to ruin his day and his life so, hey, divorce wasn't the answer for him. I don't know if what happened to Caylee was an accident or an act or rage or punishment towards CA but if it was an accident, then the cover-up is worth her sitting on death's row and if it was an act of rage or punishment, then there will be a special place on death's row for KC and sorry for your luck, KC, but there are no bars in jail like the bars you knew before Caylee "went missing."

Laci's body when found was missing head,neck, all internal organs BUT the uterus, one leg, one leg below knee, both hands and forearms. She was not a big woman to begin with and she was also in a medium with sharks and lots of animal feeders. She had almost no flesh left on her body and only a small bit of muscle under the clothing. So there wasn't much of her to find. Also, MPD was prepared to prosecute Scott with or without a body - it was just luckiy that her body and Coinner's surfaced when it did.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back