SIDEBAR #42 - Arias/Alexander forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, would a granted mistrial include the guilty verdict as well?

No, answered on the main thread. The conviction stays intact and JSS will sentence her.

No, answered on the main thread. The conviction stays intact and JSS will sentence her.
Hi Linas. I missed you yesterday. I saw some posts real late but figured you were working during the day. Don't go far away. I count on you to stay positive because I feel so negative sometimes. :)
Why is everyone worried about no trial today? I figure Nurmi asked the judge to stop trial today so he could wait for the supreme court ruling...if there is one. They scheduled a hearing but never said they would hear argument. I imagine that's because they are going to shoot down the defense and I figured Nurmi didn't want to deal with his client scowling at him. I think the individual juror questions were about scheduling. I can't see any way that the trial ends in Februrary. Nurmi already said he would have a surrebuttal and was calling our two fave psychologists. Haha.

I didn't like the questions to DeMarte yesterday because I couldn't get a good feel for where their minds are. So I am resolved that soon this will be over. Jodi will go away. And I will feel free of the stress. :)

Wonder if the Supreme Court just says, "Eh... reviewed it, lower court ruling stands." Stranger things have happened!!!!

Started reading Paul Sander's book on the DeVault murder.........ok, I'm sucked in. (I don't have a choice about taking it easy, I *think* Zuri cracked the outer edge of my foot while I was out grooming her and her mom, the same damn foot that's always been the glutton of punishment for all things "horse". It has had this constant crackling, popping noise since I was 10, so here's to another variation of "snap, crackle, pop". Just so you now, it wasn't a "step on your foot and put 200 lbs per square inch on it", no, Han smacked the gate in the other pen, Kissy spooked but stood her ground and Zuri blasted through and on me <------"don't groom your cayuses without halters with leads tied and always wear shoes".................NOT in my world!!!!! I'm TOTALLY responsible for my lack of safety measures. Livin' on the Edge. And Kissy is just looking down at me like, "why are you lying on the ground when you've only got me half brushed" while Ontos is licking my face to see if I'm conscious, dog slobber, gack, with fresh eu de horse manure.......)

On the plus side, the foot isn't making noises, the swelling must have silenced it, lol!

Back to Paul's book, finished the preface and 31 pages into it. Preface has writings from DeVault's "sugar daddy", Allen Flores, that was never introduced into court. Very strange guy, he knows her "plans" and doesn't take action, even when he comes to believe he is now the target, and NOT DeVault's husband, Dale Harrel.

"Shades of CMJA" running through Flores' musings. Another gal with pants aflame. So far, love his writing style, haven't had to "bleep" through non useful dialog.

Watched Beth's video blog this morning: She believes the trial will be over in the next 2-3 weeks, dark days, the last witnesses, closing arguments, and jury instructions included.........but she didn't mention sur-surrebuttal. We had that the last time around, didn't we?

Nurmi on cross with DeMarte:

You can't have it both ways. First he wants the jury to embrace DeMarte's finding of BPD, then he wants to discredit her experience and credentials.

Like, Dude, get over it, you just shot yourself in the foot. The only head doc witness who was consistent in direct, cross ,and redirect was DeMarte. She didn't cop an attitude, play dumb, get nasty with the "opposing side", she was all professional. "Dr. Death"? Oh puleeze, name calling?

And trying to mimic Juan's court room style, MAJOR FAIL. Just doesn't have any effect when your client is a murderer, and a liar......and a whole lot of other foul things.

I've got a bad mood going on......grrrr!
voodoodoll-smiley.gif
:therethere:

BBM
Major fail indeed. JM's style is only effective when there is a point to be made. KN's mimicry of JM's style is laughable and awkward. Instead of being riveted to his every word as people are with JM, they are thinking "Why is he yelling???" Not the effect he is going for methinks. :giggle:

Poor Bernina! Oh, the joys of our critters, lumps, bumps and all. Ice, Baby, Ice, ice, ice!

KPNX TV et al v HON. STEPHENS/STATE/ARIAS
Arizona Court of Appeals, TUESDAY Feb. 10, 2015

Petition for review = DENIED

http://www.azcourts.gov/Portals/21/MinutesCurrent/PR_Min_021015.pdf (#34)

Troy Hayden &#8207;@troyhaydenfox10 7m7 minutes ago

I doubt #JodiArias takes the stand again after AZ Supreme court rules today she will have to do it in front of public/media. #fox10phoenix

Troy Hayden &#8207;@troyhaydenfox10 7m7 minutes ago

I doubt #JodiArias takes the stand again after AZ Supreme court rules today she will have to do it in front of public/media. #fox10phoenix

Well duh....she already told the judge she was not taking the stand due to her mental illness Troy. Pay attention. All new defense tactic. What's a girl to do when she is losing?

Well duh....she already told the judge she was not taking the stand due to her mental illness Troy. Pay attention. All new defense tactic. What's a girl to do when she is losing?

Her "mental illness" didn't prevent her from getting on the stand for 18 whole days the last time around. Is she so afraid she might screw up and say something that will guarantee her Death Sentence, like her lack of remorse???

KPNX TV et al v HON. STEPHENS/STATE/ARIAS
Arizona Court of Appeals, TUESDAY Feb. 10, 2015

Petition for review = DENIED

http://www.azcourts.gov/Portals/21/MinutesCurrent/PR_Min_021015.pdf (#34)

Boy, you're on it! I was just about to post this:

MC Superior Court retweeted
Az Supreme Court &#8207;@AZCourts 2h2 hours ago
Petition for Review in KPNX TV et al v HON. STEPHENS/STATE/ARIAS #jodiarias denied by AZ Supreme Court. Ct of Appeals ruling stands.

Bawahahahaha! I posted earlier that maybe the Supreme court would refuse to review the appeal...with the whole "stranger things have happened". Ha, ha, ha!

This isn't on JSS, it's on CMJA and her defense team. Stephens KNEW this was going to get knocked out of the field, but placated the defense. One less thing for the appeals process: "The media was videoing the proceedings so how could my client have a fair trial, media circus, wah, wah, wah!!!"

BOOM!!!!!

Will CMJA present her allocution, will she continue her "sentimental journey through life" returning to the stand, or will she just sit there and doodle?

T-shirts: FAIL
American Sign Language: FAIL
Spanish lessons: FAIL
Recycling: FAIL
Hair Donations: FAIL
Book club: FAIL

She's got NADA!!!!

Hi Linas. I missed you yesterday. I saw some posts real late but figured you were working during the day. Don't go far away. I count on you to stay positive because I feel so negative sometimes. :)
Why is everyone worried about no trial today? I figure Nurmi asked the judge to stop trial today so he could wait for the supreme court ruling...if there is one. They scheduled a hearing but never said they would hear argument. I imagine that's because they are going to shoot down the defense and I figured Nurmi didn't want to deal with his client scowling at him. I think the individual juror questions were about scheduling. I can't see any way that the trial ends in Februrary. Nurmi already said he would have a surrebuttal and was calling our two fave psychologists. Haha.

I didn't like the questions to DeMarte yesterday because I couldn't get a good feel for where their minds are. So I am resolved that soon this will be over. Jodi will go away. And I will feel free of the stress. :)

BBM I'm with you about those juror's questions and did not like them.

Someone on that jury is really questioning Dr. DeMarte's testimony or were some jury questions just clarifying her testimony?

It appears to me that someone on that jury may be looking for a way to give her " life" - take the DP off of the table, and use her so called mental illness as a way to justify it. As I have been thinking about it today, I don't know, I still have a terrible feeling about those last 2 questions.

IMO, it doesn't matter what she scored on tests or Dr. DeMarte's credentials; the whole matter should come down to, yes she has BPD, but she knows right from wrong and BPD didn't have anything to do with her decisions. For me, BPD is not the reason, nor can missy:jail: or Lawrence use it as an excuse, to commit pre-meditated murder, IMO.

But I fear we may have a "JAII" juror. Once a mind is made it's hard to change it, especially if it's a person dealing with feelings, maybe feeling sorry, for missy:jail:- she's so 'mentally ill" :sheesh:, like the "foreman", GZ, who wanted to talk to her. :gaah:

I am starting to doubt the understanding of these jury members of just who missy:jail: is- a person who committed a truly heinous murder of an innocent man in a most horrible way, cruelly, with no remorse.

Is missy:jail: mentally ill or does she have a disorder and what is the difference in the labels? I'm getting very confused now with Dr. DeMarte's answers and I'm very confused with all the research I have done today to see if there is a difference (it depends upon who is writing the article :sheesh: ). I've always considered that having a "mental illness" or "insanity", which is what I called a mental illness when it comes to murder-everyone who commits a murder had to have a "screw loose" somewhere in their head, was enough to spare a person from the DP, but now I question that because Dr. Demarte is saying that BPD, what I consider a disorder, is a mental illness.

Dr. Demarte testified that Arias had a mental disorder in BPD, but not a mental illness (missy knows the difference between right and wrong). So now the new answer to that juror question is that she has a mental illness? I'm so confused. If she had said instead, that, yes she has a "mental illness" in BPD, but it's not like schizophrenia, where she is hearing voices to tell her to murder- Andrea Yates type- a definite unreality, if you will, and that would make it difficult to appreciate the wrongfulness of her conduct; in BPD she knew what she was doing, that would have been a better answer, IMO. If I were a juror, I would be confused because now there are 2 different answers to "mental illness" and (BPD) "personality disorder".

I spoke to my son, who just recently received his BS in psychology, about BPD and mental illness and he said that BDP is not a mental illness.:gaah:

If she was mentally ill, has a disorder, whatever, will the jury give her a pass out of the DP? I am hoping I am misinterpreting the questions because they have no "depth" to them with only tweets, and the jurors have received sufficient information from JM regarding the difference between a disorder and a true, severe mental illness where a person is not responsible for their actions. By law, she is not "mentally insane" and knows right from wrong, but it could be that question about "mental Illness" comes very close to "mental insanity" and the juror(s) could be just as confused as I am. To me, only the most severe mental illness would make someone mentally incompetent and not qualified for the DP, but will the juror(s) feel the same way? What would "severe" mean to them? Look at GZ again- he thought the DP was only for the most severe murderers.

Sorry if I'm fixated on the point of mental illness. I think it's a very important part of her mitigation and I'm enraged about this new mitigation. As the years of this trial go on and on, I'm just losing it; I'm getting all mixed up and more confused- this trial is like the song that doesn't end: :sheesh:

[video=youtube;9ffL573XI50]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ffL573XI50[/video]

And- what the heck does how long missy worked at the Purple Plum have do to with anything? Just doesn't make any sense to me! I'm very confused about that question.

And- why the question about why her tests are more accurate than the tests done by psychologists hired by Lawrence? What a question! Sounds like someone doesn't think Dr. DeMarte knows her stuff, IMO.

Alright, I'm done with the jurors questions- promise. :)

Bawahahahaha! I posted earlier that maybe the Supreme court would refuse to review the appeal...with the whole "stranger things have happened". Ha, ha, ha!

This isn't on JSS, it's on CMJA and her defense team. Stephens KNEW this was going to get knocked out of the field, but placated the defense. One less thing for the appeals process: "The media was videoing the proceedings so how could my client have a fair trial, media circus, wah, wah, wah!!!"

BOOM!!!!!

Will CMJA present her allocution, will she continue her "sentimental journey through life" returning to the stand, or will she just sit there and doodle?

T-shirts: FAIL
American Sign Language: FAIL
Spanish lessons: FAIL
Recycling: FAIL
Hair Donations: FAIL
Book club: FAIL

She's got NADA!!!!

BBM She has "mentally ill" now :gaah:

[video=youtube;WCveq7OwXxY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCveq7OwXxY&app=desktop[/video]

Jen's Trial Diaries &#8207;@TrialDiariesJ 20m20 minutes ago
2morrow we resume w/ #JodiArias at 9:30am MST. Next witness should be Det Smith, so brace yourselves 4 a day filled w/ *advertiser censored* & virus's :)

I followed the original trial much closer than I'm following the sentencing phase, but am trying to keep up and read as much as possible.

That being said, I agree the juror questions were concerning yesterday. However, I've already come to the conclusion that getting a death sentence in this phase will be a monumental task. First of all, this format is soo disjointed, and with the delays and the lack of any continuity with witnesses....I don't see this jury getting the full impact of the severity of Jodi's planning, manipulation, evil nature, and lack of remorse.

The defense is making a mockery of this process (with JSS allowing them to do so), but I have to admit, I think it is working to their advantage. The emphasis on *advertiser censored* and trashing the victim is maddening.

Also, in my opinion the prosecution is handing them mitigation with all of this BPD and mental illness testimony.

I know many of you are still confident and hopeful for a death sentence, and it could still happen, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

The most important thing is that she was CONVICTED OF 1st degree murder in the guilt phase. If she does not get the death penalty...she still has not won.

I trust Judge Stephens will sentence her to LWOP and she will spend the rest of her days in prison.

I followed the original trial much closer than I'm following the sentencing phase, but am trying to keep up and read as much as possible.

That being said, I agree the juror questions were concerning yesterday. However, I've already come to the conclusion that getting a death sentence in this phase will be a monumental task. First of all, this format is soo disjointed, and with the delays and the lack of any continuity with witnesses....I don't see this jury getting the full impact of the severity of Jodi's planning, manipulation, evil nature, and lack of remorse.

The defense is making a mockery of this process (with JSS allowing them to do so), but I have to admit, I think it is working to their advantage. The emphasis on *advertiser censored* and trashing the victim is maddening.

Also, in my opinion the prosecution is handing them mitigation with all of this BPD and mental illness testimony.

I know many of you are still confident and hopeful for a death sentence, and it could still happen, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

The most important thing is that she was CONVICTED OF 1st degree murder in the guilt phase. If she does not get the death penalty...she still has not won.

I trust Judge Stephens will sentence her to LWOP and she will spend the rest of her days in prison.

BBM She'll think she has won and that's so :gaah:

BBM She has "mentally ill" now :gaah:

But NOT insane...............she knows right from wrong. Has the IQ of Einstein. Pffttttt.

CMJA will be in prison the rest of her wretched life, DP or not. Come on, YorN, it could be a lot worse! This whole case has been "baby steps" towards Justice, we can't throw in the towel!!!!! :scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member