SIDEBAR #51 - Arias/Alexander forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
:facepalm: Ok, here's the skinny:

My mom had a Bernina sewing machine 18 months before I was born.....thank God she didn't have a Singer.

It does kind of help that there's the Swiss Mountain range by that name, the sewing machine is made in Switzerland, and is a truly incredible piece of machinery. I did learn how to sew on it too.
Mom bought her 2nd one back in 1987, but I haven't a clue if she has it still or uses it. She bought the newer version because it did more "things", and gave the old one to my ex-SIL. Figure she bought the 1st in 1959, so it had an exceptional run of about 36 years w/mom.

From what I found on Google, "Bernina" is also French, but I don't have any French, or Swiss ancestry. I've gone by Nina, Bernie, and Red because many people couldn't pronounce my name. School teachers usually just said my last name the first day of school....probably wouldn't have gone to well if they mispronounced my name. :floorlaugh:

.......... my folks were probably just shocked to have their first child be a red head and just named me after the first thing they glanced at when they got home from the hospital. My sibs were more fortunate, blond hair, blue eyes, tanned like they were Mexican, typical Swedes, Stephen Micheal, Jonathan David, and Kjersten <------actually have someone in the family tree way back by that name, but my sis had to wait 2+ years before it became official. My mom wanted Karina, dad wanted Kjersten, dad won, but it the mean time, my 18 month younger bro and me called her "no nothing" while my folks called her "no name". (Pronounced "Sure- sten") Us girls didn't get middle names. I felt cheated.:shame:

If I had been the first grand dauhter on my dad's side, I would have been named "Stacy" after my grandpa. But, I was the 2nd, so I dodged THAT bullet. Imagine being named after the man who would later molest you?

That's the back story about my name.

My first name was from the nurse attending my mother at the time. My two sisters before me, and my brother behind, all have family names in both first and middle. I am the only one that doesn't have a middle name. I told my kids that by the time I was born, my parents couldn't afford it. I was also the only one born bald as a cue ball and when it did come in it was reddish blonde. Everyone else had lots of dark hair. I have always been the odd ball.

My mother did call me ******lou and my sisters and I have seen a hospital birth certificate that has Louise as my middle name, but it's not on my original state issued one. My middle sister picked on me when we were younger (sometimes still does - when I go to dinner with her I call it my community service) and would tease me and tell people that we had a goat and her name was Louise and they named me after her. We never had any goats, but a friend of hers did and that was both her middle name and the goats. If I did have Louise as a middle name it would of been for my great great grandmother Louise, but I don't have a recognized middle name.

My mom used aspirin and water mixed into a paste for bug bites. It worked.

I've always used a paste of baking soda and water. Works pretty well.

Agree with you on the religious stuff. I have my tenets and don't expect or ask others to agree with me. But I do expect my right to my beliefs be respected. I think we've all evolved enough to agree to disagree & live and let live. :)

My mom used aspirin and water mixed into a paste for bug bites. It worked.

We used baking soda and water to make a paste fro bee stings. And it does work.

Remember when there was no Tylenol?

Aspirin is;

Aspirin, or acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) is a salicylate drug, and is generally used as an analgesic (something that relieves pain without producing anesthesia or loss of consciousness) for minor aches and pains, to reduce fever (an antipyretic), and also as an anti-inflammatory drug.

Aspirin has also become increasingly popular as an anti-platelet - used to prevent blood clot formation - in long-term low doses to prevent heart attacks and strokes in high risk patients. Nowadays, aspirin is often given to patients immediately after a heart attack to prevent recurrence or cardiac tissue death.

Aspirin is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). NSAIDs are medications with analgesic, antipyretic (something that reduces a fever), and in higher doses anti-inflammatory effects. Non-steroidal means they are not steroids, which often have similar effects. As analgesics, NSAIDs are generally non-narcotic (do not cause insensibility or stupor). The most prominent NSAIDs are aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen - mainly because most of them are OTC (over-the-counter, no prescription required) medications. Aspirin was the first discovered NSAID.

Aspirin in its present form has been around for over 100 years and is still one of the most widely used medications in the world. It is estimated that approximately 40,000 metric tons of it is consumed annually. Aspirin is a trademark owned by German pharmaceutical company Bayer; the generic term is acetylsalicylic acid (ASA).

A short history of aspirin
Acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) is a derivative of salicylate, which can be found in such plants as willow trees and myrtle.

ca. 3000 BC - An ancient Sumer stone tablet from the Third Dynasty of Ur of medical text mentions willow-tree based remedies. However, it does not specify what the remedies were for. Sumer was a civilization and a historical region located in Mesopotamia, southern Iraq, known as the "Cradle of Civilization".

ca. 1543 BC - The Ebers Papyrus, an ancient Egyptian medical text, mentions willow and myrtle being used for remedies to treat pain, fever and inflammation. Some say that although the text is ancient it may be a copy of the original.

ca. 460-370 BC - Hippocrates, a Greek physician, recommended willow bark preparations for childbirth pains and controlling fever. (Well, I guess anything was better than nothing).

They also used it for toothaches, by placing it on the tooth/gum?

This is shared from Cathy @ Courtchatter. Steven Alexander needs our prayers.Courtchatter

Please pray/send healing thoughts to Steven and the Travis Alexander family. From Tanisha Sorenson:

Please say a prayer for my brother Steven Alexander he is very sick and im so scared for him. I cant handle any more loss. Lord please heal my brother and keep him strong. I know it will take along time to heal is insides but I know anything is possible through God . He is a good person and a amazing brother and the best Daddy to his daughter. Please no questions , just prayers, hes been needing them for so long. Im tired of him hurting and never feeling good. I hate that he cant keep food down ever. Im going to hospital to be with him and I will keep you updated

I was just coming to post that, CJ. I hope Steven can recover from all the stress he has been through. The family has had enough sorrow to deal with. Prayers come from so many, may they help him to be well.

I have a few observations:

If the 2nd coming is after the destruction of Israel, why are Christian Americans the biggest contributors to that Nation when they *may* be putting a glitch in the plan?
And why are Christians so fearful of Revelations when it's "The Plan"?
Aren't Christians kind of bummed that it's 144,000 virgin, male Jews, who never told a lie, that will be taken up? And if they're supposed to be from the 12 tribes, aren't 2 tribes totally gone?
Why aren't Christians embracing the "End" if it means the return of Jesus?
I also thought the Old Testament God was one of wrath, and the New Testament was a God of love.
I think if I was Christian, I'd be majorly psyched about the Last Days.

Just some random thoughts. Doesn't make a bit of sense, stopping the "inevitable", I say "Bring it on", I'm up for an adventure.

I don't have any answers for you :) The Bible is one big mystery. I for one, love the Book of Revelations it is one of my favorite books of the Bible and Psalm.

All I can say for me is...I Believe and I do not question my belief. It is called Faith :)

Christians are human, we falter, we make mistakes, and no one wants to die :) But, we do believe when we die we will go to Heaven. I for one do NOT want to be here when Jesus comes back! I hope I am already with Him when that happens :)

I also believe that everyone has the right to choose their own beliefs and I respect that.

I knew there was a Verse in the Bible about how many would make it to heaven and I went looking for it. Here it is:
These verses tell how many are in heaven

Rev 5:8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.
Rev 5:9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
Rev 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.
Rev 5:11 And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands;

A vast amount 10,000 times 10,000 and thousands of thousands.
Are in heaven or will be in heaven at the end.

It does say that in the first resurrection, there will be 144,000 who rise with Christ to rule over this earth for 1,000 years.
After that, the rest of the dead will rise in the second resurrection to judgment.
Yes, the bible says of two resurrections.
Read Revelations 20 1-6
The 144,000 are those sealed and risen with Christ who have the authority to judge, who did not receive the mark. Then in verse 5 it says: the rest of the dead did not come to life until the 1,000 years were ended.

Morning all! :wave:

Just checking in....

The movie Jurassic World in 3D was GREAT!! :happydance: but Huz spent $40 - $17 for tickets and $17 for 2 popcorns and a soda... :gaah: No wonder we don't go to the movies too much!!!

I too am having problems with ALL Websleuths' threads... :gaah: :gaah: It takes about 3 minutes to go from one page to another.... :gaah: and sometimes I just have to shut down and try again...
at least I'm not getting a gray/grey box anymore... fingers crossed on that one! :lol:

Going to watch Rafa Nadal play at Wimbledon! Go Rafa!!

I have "tried" to Thank all your posts, but of course I get that error! another :gaah: :laughing:

Okay - off to catch up on the Holmes trial, as that was one I was reading last night and kept getting "stuck" with the page getting not loading!!

:seeya:

Niner, I am having the same problem loading this website and going from page to page. I have had the Comcast guy out for 2 1/2 hours, and I have been on the phone with Apple Care Support last night and tonight. Do you use an iPad? I have set my setting to 15 posts per page; I have gotten a 2.4 GB extender; and I am still having trouble. My PM's go poof, the thanks button is intermittent. I am willing to pay for WS if it is the ads causing the problem!

This is shared from Cathy @ Courtchatter. Steven Alexander needs our prayers.Courtchatter

Please pray/send healing thoughts to Steven and the Travis Alexander family. From Tanisha Sorenson:

Please say a prayer for my brother Steven Alexander he is very sick and im so scared for him. I cant handle any more loss. Lord please heal my brother and keep him strong. I know it will take along time to heal is insides but I know anything is possible through God . He is a good person and a amazing brother and the best Daddy to his daughter. Please no questions , just prayers, hes been needing them for so long. Im tired of him hurting and never feeling good. I hate that he cant keep food down ever. Im going to hospital to be with him and I will keep you updated

OMG, how sad that JA's depravity is still having a ripple effect on this family. How much more will they have to endure?

I think many of us felt more sorry for Steven than any other family member. While the Alexander women showed extraordinary strength, Steven seemed truly, profoundly, almost irretrievably broken. I would call that PTSD.

I wonder if he knows how many people (many of us mothers of adult sons) wish we could offer him some measure of comfort and support that would make a difference. I wish we could do more; something, anything...

Oh Dmacky, I am so sorry for your loss. I know you and your daughter have gone through some really rough times recently and please know that I am thinking of you both. Hugs.

OMG, how sad that JA's depravity is still having a ripple effect on this family. How much more will they have to deal with?

I think most of us felt more sorry for Steven than any other family member. While the Alexander women showed extraordinary fortitude, Steven seemed truly, profoundly, irretrievably broken. I would call that PTSD.

I wonder if he knows how many people (many of us mothers of adult sons) wish we could offer him some measure of comfort? I wish we could do more...

I agree, Steven seems at the end he was having so much trouble just hanging on. His face/body language said, "I am a broken man in body and soul".
Prayers for him and his sisters.

I have a few observations:

If the 2nd coming is after the destruction of Israel, why are Christian Americans the biggest contributors to that Nation when they *may* be putting a glitch in the plan?
And why are Christians so fearful of Revelations when it's "The Plan"?
Aren't Christians kind of bummed that it's 144,000 virgin, male Jews, who never told a lie, that will be taken up? And if they're supposed to be from the 12 tribes, aren't 2 tribes totally gone?
Why aren't Christians embracing the "End" if it means the return of Jesus?
I also thought the Old Testament God was one of wrath, and the New Testament was a God of love.
I think if I was Christian, I'd be majorly psyched about the Last Days.

Just some random thoughts. Doesn't make a bit of sense, stopping the "inevitable", I say "Bring it on", I'm up for an adventure.

It's not the end of the world. It's the end of an age. It's not a time to fear, but many do in being ignorant of what the Bible does say about the "end time, the last days, the time of Jacob's trouble etc;. One has to do with the church, new will and testament, and the other is Israel, old will and testament.

Israel was given a seventy x seventy years of judgement - a total of four hundred and ninety years. That is would begin with seventy years in bondage in Babylon, and it's a historical record of it happening just as the Bible said. Everything the prophets wrote up to and including the crucifixion of Jesus. All that is left is a seven year period of judgement at the end times, the time of Jacob's trouble. That is what many are watching building up in the middle east. The book of Ezekiel names a war and the nations that will form a collation with Persia to attack Israel. They are all in place today in the middle east.

It's faith and what you believe. Many want to believe and live in fear, I don't. I'm holding onto promises that I'm going to be outta here when the trumpet blows - the rapture of the church.

And as Nore said, the the Book Of Revelations scares her, and many make the same claim, so they don't read it.

Niner, I am having the same problem loading this website and going from page to page. I have had the Comcast guy out for 2 1/2 hours, and I have been on the phone with Apple Care Support last night and tonight. Do you use an iPad? I have set my setting to 15 posts per page; I have gotten a 2.4 GB extender; and I am still having trouble. My PM's go poof, the thanks button is intermittent. I am willing to pay for WS if it is the ads causing the problem!

It's not just you Zuri, I'm having trouble on this site, not just this thread. I think with all that's happening ie; David Sweat and Richard Matt, The McStays, James Holmes that there maybe be several hundreds that are visiting and joining Websleuths.

When we changed over from Time Warner to Verizion, I wasn't home when dh had them install the main router in the living room , and a new box in our bedroom, so he leaves a message that I have to program the remote and it wasn't working so I call their tech help and we go through it several times and it' still not working. The tech help and I are both getting frustrated, I've taken the batteries out several times, I've replaced the batteries and was on my last nerve when dh walks in reaches down and hands me the other remote laying on the bed. I mumbled something and hung up.

Bernina, my great grandmother came from Bern Switzerland in the 1800's. Some one on Websleuths was from there or visited it? IIRC.

1955 - ABC-TV premieres a new musical variety program called Dodge Dancing Party, which had already been airing locally in Los Angeles for four years; it would later be retitled The Lawrence Welk Show after its bandleader and host.

[video=youtube;7kEnWYXrIoA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kEnWYXrIoA&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

196 2 - Jim Reeves records what would be his last songs for RCA before his fatal plane crash just over one month later.

[video=youtube;Smlaq1ezQRM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smlaq1ezQRM&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

During the good times I remember my parents slow dancing on Friday nights at the drive in up the street for us. The four of us would sit at a table together and they'd sit on the other side of the room. They were twenty nine years old. We were ten eight seven and six years old. I didn't have my first child until I was almost twenty five years old.

[video=youtube;JvfG9uFswis]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvfG9uFswis&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

I can't sleep... I finally just gave in and got up at 3 am.
I want to thank everyone for their kind words. I am completely broken.

Spell ~ I hadn't read everything before I posted, and I obviously didn't see the post from Nore that you were referring to :blush: All I saw was you were sending me EGADS ~
I even looked to see if EGADS was an abbreviation that was used here at WS. :giggle:

Get rid of Comcast, maybe that's your problem. I think they're horrible. We switched to AT&T because hubby is an AT&T employee, but we've never regretted it. Service and customer service are both so much better than Comcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158