SIDEBAR #51 - Arias/Alexander forum

Discussion in 'Travis Alexander Trial - The State vs. Jodi Arias' started by KateB, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coffeejunkie

coffeejunkie New Member

[​IMG]
    LINK: PIC

Did You Know

1. There have been 27 official versions of the American flag, each with a different number of stars in the blue union. The official original flag contained 13 stripes and 13 stars, both symbolizing the first colonies.

2. The flag didn't always have 13 stripes. In 1794, Kentucky and Vermont were added to the Union, resulting in a 15-star, 15-stripe flag that inspired Francis Scott Key's "Star Spangled Banner," which was written after the battle at Fort McHenry during the War of 1812.

3. The latest version of the American flag is the longest to last, celebrating its 54th anniversary this year.

4. There is no written record of Betsy Ross being the creator of the American flag. The story was largely unheard of until 1870 when Ross's grandson, William Canby, brought it up to the Historical Society of Pennsylvania. The family swears by the oral history and recorded government payments to Betsy Ross seem to suggest that what they say is true.

5. The colors of the flag are symbolic. Red stands for valor, white stands for purity, and blue stands for perseverance and justice.

6. The flag was first called "Old Glory" by a young sea captain named William Driver in 1824.

The flag is, after all, the greatest emblem of our nation. As President Coolidge said:
    "We identify the flag with almost everything we hold dear on earth. It represents our peace and security, our civil and political liberty, our freedom of religious worship, our family, our friends, our home. We see it in the great multitude of blessings, of rights and privileges that make up our country."

Previously called "rockets," the term "fireworks" was not
    established until 1777.

Later fireworks that made a noise were invented and called "fire
    crackers" and by 1880 sparklers had been created.

2. coffeejunkie

coffeejunkie New Member

[​IMG]'
    LINK PIC

3. coffeejunkie

coffeejunkie New Member

4th of July Jokes
    The difference between a duck and George Washington is:
    One has a bill on his face; the other has his face on a bill!

What kind of tea did the American colonists thirst for?
    Liberty!

What was the craziest battle of the Revolutionary War?
    The Battle of Bonkers Hill.

Why were the first Pennsylvania settlers like ants?
    Because they lived in colonies.

What's red, white, blue, and almost as ugly as a dog?
    A revolutionary warthog!

Why did Paul Revere ride his horse from Boston to Lexington?
    Because the horse was too heavy to carry!

The Fourth of July weekend was approaching, and Miss Pelham, the nursery school teacher, took the opportunity to tell her class about patriotism. 'We live in a great country,' she announced. 'One of the things we should be happy is that, in this country, we are all free.'
    Trevor, who was a little boy in her class, came walking up to her from the back of the room. He stood with his hands on his hips and said loudly, 'I'm not free. I'm four.'

Nicholas took his four-year-old son, Bryan, to several baseball games where "The Star-Spangled Banner" was sung before the start of each game.
    Later, Nicholas and Bryan attended St Bartholomew's church on the Sunday before Independence Day. The congregation sang The Star-Spangled Banner, and after everyone sat down, Bryan suddenly yelled out at the top of his voice, 'Play ball.'

4. coffeejunkie

coffeejunkie New Member

DID YOU KLNOW

Over 10 billion doughnuts are made in the U.S. each year.

Ten people in the United States have the last name Doughnut or

Donut. Ninety-five people have the name Longjohn (the name of a long doughnut). Twelve people have the name Bearclaw, 498 people have the name Sprinkles, 470 people in the U.S. have the name Fritter, and 1,634 have the name Sugar

Some unique doughnut flavors/names include Wasabi Cheese, Champagne, Poi (a common Hawaiian starch paste from the taro root), Southern Spice (made with Southern spices, green chilies, and thyme), Rosemary Olive Oil, Bubble Gum, Chicken & Waffle, and Psycho Psushi.

A chocolate glazed doughnut has about 5 teaspoons of sugar.

If a person added a doughnut a day to their regular diet, they would gain about one extra pound every 10 days
    Doughnut” is the more traditional spelling, although its shortened form, “donut,” is also acceptable

National Donut Day is on the first Friday of every June

The world’s most expensive donut is made of 24k edible gold, edible diamonds, and aged chocolate balsamic vinegar. The remaining ingredients are top secret. They sell for $100 a piece.

During the 1940s, stars such as Johnny Carson, Pearl Buck, Red Skelton, Jimmy Durante, and Martha Graham were members of the National Dunking Association. The association even provided membership cards.

Americans eat around 17 billion quarts of popcorn every year. This amount would fill the Empire State Building 18 times

Popcorn is the official snack of Illinois. Since 1958, there has been an annual “Popcorn Day

Both the American Dietetic Association and the American Diabetes Association say that popcorn can be exchanged for bread for people on weight control diets

Popcorn kernels can pop up to 3 feet in the air

There are about 1,600 popcorn kernels in 1 cup

By volume, popcorn is America’s favorite snack food

In ancient times, people would make popcorn by heating sand in a fire and then stirring kernels of popcorn in the hot sand.

Approximately 70% of popcorn sold in America is eaten in the home. The other 30% is eaten in theaters, stadiums, school, etc

Unpopped popcorn kernels are called “spinsters” or “old maids.”
    Quality popcorn should produce 98% popped kernels with under 2% being spinsters.

While it is a popular story, there is no evidence that Native
    Americans brought the Pilgrims popcorn at the Thanksgiving dinner.

The world’s oldest known popper, a shallow vessel with a handle and hole on top was designed around A.D. 300. The first popcorn machine made its debut 1,500 years later at the 1893 World’s Fair (Columbian Exposition) in Chicago

American Indians used to believe that spirits peacefully lived inside each popcorn kernel. When the kernels were heated, the spirits would get so angry that their “houses” would start to shake. When it got too hot, the spirits broke out of their houses in a very angry burst of steam.

The oldest ear of popcorn was found in a bat cave in Mexico in 1948. It is believed to be over 5,000 years old

5. coffeejunkie

coffeejunkie New Member

6. jane the dood

jane the dood Dance like no one's looking

I'm so behind here; seems to be a lot of sad news lately. :( A big ((HUG)) and a prayer for anyone who needs one.:heartbeat:

In honor of the Fourth of July, here's a YouTube vid that hopefully will bring a smile.

[video=youtube;yLKExB9gE0k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLKExB9gE0k[/video]

7. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

Good morning! :wave:

the $17 was for two popcorns and a soda!! Not just one bag of popcorn! LOL!

Bernina - I saw your Name on a building when we drove down to the Doctor's office the other day! And of course, I thought of ALL you guys here!! :loveyou:

:hug: Dmacky - so sorry to hear about your fur baby...

Zuri - I use a laptop and have Wave Broadband. It seems to run okay if I go to my other forum, so I think it's just WS that keeps screwing with me... :pcguru:

Well Rafa Nadal lost yesterday... I guess I shall root for Roger Federer than! LOL!

Today is grocery shopping day! Didn't I just do that??!! :waitasec: The weeks go by so fast! Swish....

Okay - off to check out my other cases!

Take care everyone! :seeya:

8. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

A very good afternoon to everyone :seeya:

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 clouded leopard cubs will melt your heart :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

"The quadruplets were born on May 12 to Chai Li and her mate, Nah Fun. According to the zoo, their weights range from 11.11 ounces to 12.41 ounces, or about the equivalent of a box of corn flakes..."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rd-cubs-point-defiance-zoo-aquarium/27617545/
    ------------

Clouded leopard cubs on display at Tacoma zoo

"TACOMA, Wash. (AP) - Four clouded leopard cubs are now on display at a Tacoma, Washington, zoo.

The Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium will announce their genders and names next week. The 3-week-old cubs have gained about one pound apiece with regular bottle feedings, and now weigh about 1.7 pounds each.

Visitors can watch them be bottle fed at the Cub Den in the Cats of the Canopy exhibit.
    The quadruplets were born May 12..."

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Clouded-leopard-cubs-at-Tacoma-zoo-306319661.html

[​IMG]

[video=youtube;bFAMFBc0I64]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFAMFBc0I64[/video]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. YESorNO

Critic's Pick TV picks: Shirley Temple month on Turner Classic Movies

"Shirley Temple month on Turner Classic Movies (TCM, Mondays in July)... :curtsey:

The Turner festival, which takes in nearly the whole range of Temple's film career, proceeds more or less chronologically, which means that it starts near the top, with Monday's showings of "Little Miss Marker" (1934), based on the Damon Runyon story; "Now and Forever" (1934), with Gary Cooper and Carole Lombard; "Bright Eyes" (1934), the first picture specifically crafted for her, and the source of "On the Good Ship Lollipop"; "Curly Top," home of "Animal Crackers in My Soup"; and "Poor Little Rich Girl" (1936), which teams her with Jack Haley..."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...le-turner-classic-movies-20150702-column.html

[​IMG]
    Link: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...At7M71QHIyn0LDnJ0NL9gJYC fz2LUNbDY6wcaGoj5dz

My favorite (and my residents at the nursing home :) ), but not being shown this month :(

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm - 1938

[video=youtube;GyfVVGhMLcg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyfVVGhMLcg[/video]

10. YESorNO

11. YESorNO

Sonia Manzano, Maria On ‘Sesame Street,' To Retire After 44 Years

"...Having been on the show for so long, many viewers got to know her as children and then again, years later, when they had kids of their own who began watching the show...
    Manzano first appeared on "Sesame Street" in 1971, and became a series regular in 1974. When Maria first moved into the "Sesame Street" neighborhood, Manzano portrayed her as a teenager..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/02/sonia-manzano-retire-sesame-street_n_7710918.html

[​IMG]
    Link: https://media1.giphy.com/media/J2q8zK4HgrT5C/200.gif

[​IMG]
    Link: http://images.nationaltimes.com.au/...9x410.gi3jgh.png1435816632584.jpg-620x349.jpg

[​IMG]
    Link: https://usatlife.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/xxx_sesame_street__jy3430.jpg?w=1000&h=667

Sesame Street - Maria & Luis Get Married :cake:

"On May 13, 1988, in the Season 19 finale of "Sesame Street", long-time residents Maria (Sonia Manzano) and Luis (Emilio Delgado) got married. There wasn't a dry eye on the roof! Wedding guests included Mrs. Figueroa (Maria's mother, played by Lillian Hurst), and Tio José (Luis' uncle, played by José Ferrer)"

[video=youtube;HAm4UIb0Eyw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAm4UIb0Eyw[/video]
    -------------------------

Both my sons watched Sesame Street (the oldest in 1970+, the youngest, 1990+).
    Maria was the best. She deserves her retirement. :heartbeat:

12. YESorNO

Mormon church to digitally index millions of handwritten records about four million freed slaves to help African Americans reconnect with Civil War*-era ancestors

"...LDS has been sponsoring a non-profit organization called FamilySearch
    The Freedmen's Bureau Project will be a joint effort between the groups
    Effort will digitize 1.5 million handwritten records about former slaves
    Records will be available for free online at website Discoverfreedmen.org

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...available-records-4-million-freed-slaves.html

[​IMG]

The Freedmen’s Bureau Project Website:

"The Freedmen’s Bureau Project is helping African Americans reconnect with their Civil War*-era ancestors...."

http://www.discoverfreedmen.org/
    ---------------------------------

I have used Family Search and it's very informative- found lots of my family's genealogy thingys there. :)

13. Hatfield

Hatfield Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone. Have a very Happy 4th of July.

The cubs are so cute and is a good example of how adorable kittens, puppies, and even our baby children are so precious. Then as they get older they can rip your heart out and draw blood. LOL

14. YESorNO

I don’t know that I can say anything to make you feel better after losing your pet, but I would like to say I’m sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you at this time. :therethere:

:anguish:

[video=youtube;5GurFKhK34U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GurFKhK34U[/video]

15. YESorNO

Steven didn't look so good in those pics from the celebration party after the sentencing- looks as if he lost a lot of weight. :(

Hope this is something he can recover from.

:praying:

16. Hatfield

Hatfield Well-Known Member

I have a tip that may help if people are running into the trouble I am having with getting pages to load all the way.

My problem has been when I go to a page it only loads about 1/2 the posts and then seems to get "stuck". So instead of waiting what I do is I click on a previous different page and then click right back to the page I really want.

It seems to help because it seems to then load the page I want and gets it loaded all the way to the bottom.

Thought I would share this "workaround" that I have found helps me.

17. YESorNO

I've been having trouble with the new page thingy. I originally had 50 pages and then it automatically changed to 25 pages.
    Then it magically changed to 15 pages, so I changed it back to 50, but somehow it has changed again and again to different amounts of pages.
    So confusing. :scared::scared:

18. coffeejunkie

coffeejunkie New Member

MY ALL TIME FAV SONG!!!! Thanks for posting this :) :happydance:

19. coffeejunkie

coffeejunkie New Member

Hope this works!!!

LeAnn Rimes tribute to Patsy Cline

[video=youtube;WgEqttiN3t0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgEqttiN3t0#t=197[/video]
    https://youtu.be/WgEqttiN3t0

20. zoey

zoey Well-Known Member

I know he mentioned ulcers in that one statement and those can be nasty things----wow! I've never stopped praying for that family

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.