Smiley Face Gang

Discussion in 'Deaths of Male College Students/The River Killers' started by LovingTheChaos, May 1, 2008.

1. LovingTheChaos

LovingTheChaos New Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352960,00.html

Detectives: 40 Drowning Victims May Have Been Murdered by 'Smiley Face Gang'

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

[​IMG] KSTP.com

This smiley-face symbol was found painted near the scenes of drowning deaths in four states.

At least 40 young men who drowned may have died by far more sinister means — serial killings at the hands of a national gang that revels in murdering young men and leaving smiley-face markings at the scene, a team of retired New York City police detectives and criminal justice investigators said Monday.
    They believe the victims, including University of Minnesota student Chris Jenkins and Fordham University student Patrick McNeill, didn't accidentally drown but were actually killed by members of the so-called "Smiley Face Gang," according to KSTP-TV, which first reported the story.

According to our local news (Albany NY) - Josh Szostack's father has found a smiley face along the river bank. His death was ruled accidental drowning.

http://capitalnews9.com/content/top_stories/115158/szostak-s-father-speaks-out/Default.aspx

I have not found a list of victims, timelines, or states. Apparently, these cases go back decades, and span accross 11 states.

I didn't see another thread related to this, If there is one, my apologies!

2. KatK

KatK Former Member

This is a spotlight case. Here is the latest topic about it, and there are more topics about it in this WS forum. :)

3. PolkSaladAnnie

PolkSaladAnnie Preventing Truth Decay

4. KatK

KatK Former Member

S'all right! :) It happens. Heh... 'Sides, I might not have been reading Websleuths at this hour. Stayed up to defrag the computer.

5. PolkSaladAnnie

Tks ... and I know the late-night feeling, myself :crazy:

Looking at L-T-C's pic in that link ... I'm wondering if there are [hidden] cryptic symbols within that smiley face? The "cross" on the forehead and the "Jesus" fish as a smile. Could it be some anti-Christian group, sect or person? Were the victims all of Christian faith?

Just a completely wild guess on my part ... if "they" take the trouble to put that face out there, seems they have a reason and/or subliminal message for it.

6. PolkSaladAnnie

OK. Shelve that thought: just seen that 2 of the faces are different :slap: :slap:

wizardry likes this.
  7. KatK

KatK Former Member

Have you read Steve Huff's The True Crime Weblog? He has written a very interesting editorial about this. I recommend reading it, (ETA: The comments there are also well worth a read.) as well as at least the topic I linked, if not the first topic in the series of topics about this case. :) (They have similar titles, just numbers denoting the order they were continued in.)

8. PolkSaladAnnie

Thank you, KatK... just saw a reference to Steve's blog in this forum. Am now going to research a tad more before commenting again :D

9. eve

eve New Member

He's not buying it, but he has an open mind. I also think the group killer idea is a tough one to accept, but I think it is possible, especially with the existence of the internet, which I wouldn't doubt is used by the killer/s somehow. Victims may even be identified initailly through MySpace or Facebook.

Far tougher to accept, though, in my mind, is that this many young men fitting a profile would drown in this manner. I think drowning statistics would bear out the unlikelihood of that scenario. The smiley faces, the hair clutched in Jenkins' hand, the clothes folded neatly at some of the body sites, people saying these young men were not all that drunk, the common locations, etc. Just too many suspicious things to ignore.

Eve

Pickle_Rick, Hatfield and cnmccarthy like this.
  10. Alta

Alta Proudly Canadian

If anyone is interested People magazine this week has a story on these cases.This was the first I had actually read about this theory,IF there is even the slightest bit of truth to this smiley face theory,God help these young men.

I won't give my opinion on this as i have not read enough about the case to form one,yet.

11. DeltaDawn

DeltaDawn Inactive

Welcome to the discussion Alta. We appreciate everyone's input here.

12. SeriouslySearching

SeriouslySearching Well-Known Member

By all means, read Huff's blog! I would hate to think our "conspiracy theorists" here are not being fair to the possibility the detectives are totally wrong. Of course, someday I could change my mind...but since I have followed these cases for a very long time and always felt something was very wrong...I doubt I will.

13. concernedperson

concernedperson Former Member

You know there was a serial killer called the smiley face killer. His name was Keith Jurgenson (think that is right) and he was a long haul trucker. Someone could be copycatting the nic but using their own style.

14. savagewoman

savagewoman Well-Known Member

ID show Breaking Homicide is doing a show on Christopher Jenkins that went missing in Minneapolis on Halloween 2002. This case was the first time I heard of smiley face killer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hatfield and cnmccarthy like this.
  15. pphloyd

pphloyd Member

About — Harpo's
    Its a cool bar , hard to get into on fri
    The pic that shows the entrance and the short part ofthe bar

16. pphloyd

pphloyd Member

Sorry wrong thread

17. TaconicRider

TaconicRider Member

Does the ME ever find hypodermic needle holes in the skin of the victims? Immobilizing drugs in system ? Is any of that info released ?

Daphne1972 likes this.
  18. Daphne1972

Daphne1972 Well-Known Member

19. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick New Member

Is this thread still active? I grew up in MN and this has always intrigued me

20. savagewoman

savagewoman Well-Known Member

Not sure, there is a active thread... not sure of name