So who does Aphrodite Jones think is the killer is?

Thanks for the feedback, eileenhawkeye.

So persistence and a literary agent would facilitate the goal.
I just wondered if it was the perspective of the book that was of issue.

Looking forward to it's eventual publication,
also just wondered if ... it's a niche book,
and what other difficulties SD might be facing in his attempts.

Yes, I'm aware of SG's pre-election stance.

I dunno, following the JBR case .... it's a frustrating exercise,
I'm just left of fence-sitting, unable to ignore
PR's designation in the handwriting analysis,
and
unable to comprehend how the hymenal erosion issue can be a non-issue.

Within the subculture, the precarious nature of the dna results is a consideration, but the popular media has declared it otherwise.

Not intending to be abrupt? or duplicitous,
it' just difficult to negotiate that grey area, when you're a FSer.

It's not easy being green - KtheF

The four bestselling books about the JonBenet case were by JonBenet's parents, a lead detective on the case, an already NYT Bestselling Author, and a nationally known forensic pathologist. When the publishers were marketing the book to the public, they could use the parent/detective/bestselling crime author/top forensic pathologist angle to get people to buy the book, since there are already so many books on JonBenet out there. Back in the 90s/early 2000's, it would have probably been easier for an everyday person to get a book published about this case, but the book would probably be published by a small publishing house, who wouldn't be able to market the book as well, and only be able to print thousands of copies instead of millions of copies.

Also, does anyone know how many copies PMPT, DOI, and JBR have sold in all? I know that PMPT had sold about 525K copies in its first two months but I'm not sure how many copies they all sold in all.

Anyone can self publish their own book without an agent; however it takes a considerable amount of money (up front) to start the process. I know Dave is aware of this, just posting for those who are not. Also, you have to remember that L. Wood brought lawsuits against those who wrote books that were anti-Ramsey. This alone makes agents reluctant to take on any new authors about the case. Dave is not worried about lawsuits (you are my hero, Dave) since this would be a golden opportunity to force JR to testify under oath. Sorry for speaking for you Dave but your cause is near and dear to my heart!

I think getting any book published as a new author is very difficult. If someone like Diane Fanning or Ann Rule decided to write a JBR book, it would be pretty easy for them to get it published because they already have their foot in the door. Same goes for John Ramsey or someone who has a direct connection to this case, because it gives them a marketing angle since the author might know new exclusive information about the case that they would share in the book.

Dave, do you have an agent? I believe that helps a lot when you want publishers to look at your work since they get thousands of manuscripts.

Ann Rule is one of my favorites. She has such an unusual past considering her and Ted Bundy were actual friends in the 70's working at the crisis center. Kinda strange she ended up writing about one of her friends who just happened to be one of the most talked about serial killers around. I can't imagine what the odds of that happening would have even been.....a true crime writer becoming friends with a serial killer and never expecting this horrible killer is actually a friend of yours.....creepy!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Ann Rule is one of my favorites. She has such an unusual past considering her and Ted Bundy were actual friends in the 70's working at the crisis center. Kinda strange she ended up writing about one of her friends who just happened to be one of the most talked about serial killers around. I can't imagine what the odds of that happening would have even been.....a true crime writer becoming friends with a serial killer and never expecting this horrible killer is actually a friend of yours.....creepy!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Yes...I have read every single book Ann Rule has ever written. What did the other author write about that was mentioned above?

Yes...I have read every single book Ann Rule has ever written. What did the other author write about that was mentioned above?

Do you mean Diane Fanning? She wrote A Poisoned Passion about the Wendi Mae Davidson case, Through the Window about serial killer Tommy Lynn Sells and her most recent was Mommy's Little Girl about the Casey Anthony case.

Do you mean Diane Fanning? She wrote A Poisoned Passion about the Wendi Mae Davidson case, Through the Window about serial killer Tommy Lynn Sells and her most recent was Mommy's Little Girl about the Casey Anthony case.

Thank you! I am going to the library this afternoon and look for one of her books. :)

Jennifer, I am certainly not an expert but after viewing the show it's my opinion that AJ does not care who killed JonBenet. She is only in it for money and fame. She is as bad as Michael Tracey in my opinion.

That is a shame that AJ is like that. A person in her position should atleast care about what she is doing and reporting on. I would lthink that is would be great to be in her position to be able to help solve crimes and stop criminals from hurting others but I have a passion for this type of thing.

I believe that when certain types of people are involved in a tragedy it gets in your blood and you live to fight for what is right everyday of your life. Some people can just let things go with treatment/therapy but others have to do something with what is left within them to help others. It is a passion that you live for. Trying to help others not to become victims is so very important to me.

That is a shame that AJ is like that. A person in her position should atleast care about what she is doing and reporting on. I would lthink that is would be great to be in her position to be able to help solve crimes and stop criminals from hurting others but I have a passion for this type of thing.

I believe that when certain types of people are involved in a tragedy it gets in your blood and you live to fight for what is right everyday of your life. Some people can just let things go with treatment/therapy but others have to do something with what is left within them to help others. It is a passion that you live for. Trying to help others not to become victims is so very important to me.

You know, I used to believe AJ really cared about the victims. I suppose I had never really known a lot about the victims in her previous shows. I learned my lesson well. Not everyone cares and it does my heart good to know that there are folks like you and SuperDave who care about the victims and want to set things right. Ann Rule has always been one of my favorites and I never tire of reading about her relationship with Bundy. I don't believe in coincidence and this is one story that backs up my beliefs!

You know, I used to believe AJ really cared about the victims. I suppose I had never really known a lot about the victims in her previous shows. I learned my lesson well. Not everyone cares and it does my heart good to know that there are folks like you and SuperDave who care about the victims and want to set things right. Ann Rule has always been one of my favorites and I never tire of reading about her relationship with Bundy. I don't believe in coincidence and this is one story that backs up my beliefs!

I will never stop caring I can promise you that. Victims and their families should never be forgotten. Ann Rule is one incredible woman. I love her work and I too never get tierd of reading about her relationship with Ted Bundy. Bundy was one of those type people that you never would have thought by looking at him that he could be a serial killer. He was attractive and quite smart. Sad thing is that his looks is what made most of his victims feel at ease with him so they felt they could trust him. How wrong they were. He had one lady he abducted that he actually let go when she told him that her 5 year old daughter was home alone asleep and that her daughter would be scared and all alone when she woke up. That smart thinking saved her life because he let her go.

Thank you! I am going to the library this afternoon and look for one of her books. :)

The book about Tommy Lynn Sells in really good. That guy is the devil!!!!! He was born to kill. Tommy Lynn Sells is one sick puppy.

Diane Fanning and AJ both wrote books about the Kathleen Peterson murder (e.g., Peterson East...not to be confused with Peterson Central [Staci Peterson] or Peterson West [Laci]). Diane had the better book (Written in Blood), but Aphrodite scored the autopsy photo (Perfect Husband).

Heyya SD.

Why is it a tough slog?

What is a slog?

It's a tough slog for many reasons. First, I have to find a publisher who understands the value of controversy. THEN, I have to find one that is willing to provide insurance against liability in lawsuits (that one I'm not so concerned with, but I've been told by several authors to go that way.) Third, and most importantly, I have to come up with the money. Book publishing ain't cheap! A local publishing house in my state wanted 8000 *advertiser censored**ing dollars!

It looks as if I have no alternative but to seek a publishing firm that does this sort of thing on a small scale. joeskidbeck has provided me one.

Is it that the book is not marketable? so many years past the initial interest in the crime?

Well, I've asked a few publishers, and they all have different feelings. Some would agree with that statement. Others believe that it would do very well.

I'm not worried, because I already HAVE a marketing base:

YOU GUYS.

How does the Ramseys' exhoneration effect your attempt to publish?

It doesn't really figure into it at this point. It might later, though. Done right, it could work for me.

Is the RDI or PDI perspective now viewed as just another conspiracy theory?
Is it a liability issue?

I don't see how it could be too much of a liability. There wouldn't be any real grounds to sue anybody. Patsy's dead. John ran for public office, so he's a public figure now, as are most of the people I speak of. And I hardly mention Burke at all.

As for being a conspiracy theory, I really don't care if they think that or not.

Anyone can self publish their own book without an agent; however it takes a considerable amount of money (up front) to start the process. I know Dave is aware of this, just posting for those who are not. Also, you have to remember that L. Wood brought lawsuits against those who wrote books that were anti-Ramsey. This alone makes agents reluctant to take on any new authors about the case. Dave is not worried about lawsuits (you are my hero, Dave) since this would be a golden opportunity to force JR to testify under oath. Sorry for speaking for you Dave but your cause is near and dear to my heart!

Naw, I'm PAST fear. And I can assure you, I won't make the same mistakes that idiot Hoffman made.

Well, I've asked a few publishers, and they all have different feelings. Some would agree with that statement. Others believe that it would do very well.

To be fair, there are a lot of true crime books out there about low profile cases that don't have the name recognition of the JBR case. I think a bigger problem would be that there are already so many books about this case that a publisher wonders why someone would choose to read your book over the previously published books. I believe that's the reason why Ann Rule won't write about this case or other high profile cases; there's just too much competition. I wonder if you would have better luck publishing your book if it were IDI? Not telling you to change your opinion, LOL, just speculating.

To be fair, there are a lot of true crime books out there about low profile cases that don't have the name recognition of the JBR case. I think a bigger problem would be that there are already so many books about this case that a publisher wonders why someone would choose to read your book over the previously published books. I believe that's the reason why Ann Rule won't write about this case or other high profile cases; there's just too much competition. I wonder if you would have better luck publishing your book if it were IDI? Not telling you to change your opinion, LOL, just speculating.

Not much competition NOW.

Heyya SD.

It's a tough slog for many reasons. First, I have to find a publisher who understands the value of controversy. THEN, I have to find one that is willing to provide insurance against liability in lawsuits (that one I'm not so concerned with, but I've been told by several authors to go that way.) Third, and most importantly, I have to come up with the money. Book publishing ain't cheap! A local publishing house in my state wanted 8000 *advertiser censored**ing dollars! .

Ya, 8k is doable, maybe with some backing and beggin',
or eight credit cards with a g limit a piece. (lol)

It looks as if I have no alternative but to seek a publishing firm that does this sort of thing on a small scale. joeskidbeck has provided me one.

Excellent.

Well, I've asked a few publishers, and they all have different feelings. Some would agree with that statement. Others believe that it would do very well

YOU GUYS.

True dat.

It doesn't really figure into it at this point. It might later, though. Done right, it could work for me.

I don't see how it could be too much of a liability. There wouldn't be any real grounds to sue anybody. Patsy's dead. John ran for public office, so he's a public figure now, as are most of the people I speak of. And I hardly mention Burke at all.

As for being a conspiracy theory, I really don't care if they think that or not.

Ya, as you mentioned earlier, controversial.
Too bad a release of your book could not coat tail JR's future release.
But you've got time on your side.

Heyya SD.
Ya, 8k is doable, maybe with some backing and beggin',
or eight credit cards with a g limit a piece. (lol)

Way ahead of you.

Ya, as you mentioned earlier, controversial.
Too bad a release of your book could not coat tail JR's future release.
But you've got time on your side.

That I do. I hope I won't need too much of it.

The book about Tommy Lynn Sells in really good. That guy is the devil!!!!! He was born to kill. Tommy Lynn Sells is one sick puppy.

I didn't get to the library, but I will definitely look for that one. Thanks for all of the info. It's always exciting to hear about a new author!

Just another idea about this - I've never read one book about JBR and I would definitely choose Dave's book to read first. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back